You can type here any text you want

Will this wheel combo work?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

im4darush

17X7 4" backspace fronts and 17X9 5" backspace rear. Will this combo work on a 1987 GN?

That does sound better but I have the opportunity to buy a set of wheels at a great price. They are 17X7 & 17X9. Tires on them are 225/45/17 and 275/40/17. Just need to know if this combo will work, if if there are some major issues.

That is the wrong backspace for front and rear. You need to find out if any modifications will work. I believe a 5" backspace in the rear with rub the frame rail. Might be able to use a spacer and would def need longer wheel studs. Not that bad of a swap at a good shop.

That is the wrong backspace for front and rear. You need to find out if any modifications will work. I believe a 5" backspace in the rear with rub the frame rail. Might be able to use a spacer and would def need longer wheel studs. Not that bad of a swap at a good shop.

my setup is 17x8 4''bs 245/45s tires in front 17x9.5 4.75bs 275/40s in back with no problems:biggrin: at all.And with a 10000000% oem 20 plus year old suspension

Do yourself a favor and look at Incubus2432 car and Silver fox car they both have a 4.75bs setup and many more just can remember all their names, sorry guys:o

here is one picture i have

Attachments

• buickgnpics015.jpg
    buickgnpics015.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 223
17X7 4" backspace fronts and 17X9 5" backspace rear. Will this combo work on a 1987 GN?

The five inch back space may or may not give you problems. Some can pull it off where others get rubbing.

A 17x9 or 17.9.5 with 4.75 inches of backspacing will not give you any problems though.

You could always go with a .25 inch spacer if you have rubbing problems though.

On the front, I recommend 17x8 with 4.5 inches of backspacing (although Diaz87's setup up looks great with 4 inches of backspacing). But in the future if you ever want to lower the car and/or go with Baer brakes of the like it will further push the wheels out and cause you much aggravation with rubbing (speaking from experience here).

JDPolzin - what say you?

Rob

They should work. They will look like they are tucked into the wheelwell quite deep. The wheels in the back are going to be tight , you will be lucky if you end up with 1/4" clearance between tire and frame. You should have plenty of wheel to frame clearance. When you go with a 5" backspacing wheel it is critical that there is not much tire over wheel lip bulge. With that said a 9.5" wheel is perfect for the 275/40/17.

Back