Window Tint Removal

MRP78

What's the best way to remove old window tint film? Will removing it also remove or damage the quarter window alarm decals or rear window defogger?

Ammonia spray it on liberally, Cover with a black plastic bag and leave it in the sun for a few hours

MRP78 said:
What's the best way to remove old window tint film? Will removing it also remove or damage the quarter window alarm decals or rear window defogger?

Youtube it..... They say steam or heat gun!!! Check it out.

Clint

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

It's the door windows that are bad but the rest of the tint is nice. Maybe it would be best to just re-tint those? How hard is it to do or should I hire it out?

Door windows are easy. After you peel away the majority of tint hopefully in one piece, keep the adhesive wet with a soap and water solution and scrape with a new razor blade. Have at least 2 razor blades and keep the blade at an angle. Dont push the wet adhesive, slice at it on an angle. Tinting is a different story, if you have never done it, pay someone.

Air compressor and a blow gun will take the tint right off and then clean off the glass real good. If it had a glue like substance left on glass ,Do not get it on window sweeps .If you tint them again I would pull the door panels so the tint goes below sweeps on glass otherwise the tint will get caught on sweeps and start peeling.Good luck

Try the heat gun or use a blow dryer if thats all you have. Go slow, but not to close you don't want to melt it. you should have minimum glue to remove.

MRP78 said:
How hard is it to do or should I hire it out?

If you are not experienced doing tint, pay a professional and get it done right the first time.

Instead of you trying and ending up doing a not so good job and still end up hiring someone.

Years ago on Horsepower TV (Spike Channel) they showed how quick and easy it was to remove window tint so that night I went out to the garage and it wasn't nearly as quick or as easy!!!! :(

At the time I just wished that I would have smashed the windows out and installed new windows, it would have been easier and less frustrating. When I was done I came in the house showered and when I went to bed my wife complained about the smell (from the glue), it wasn't pleasant. Smashing would have been easier.