Window weather stripping help

jrl2512

Okay, so I recently got fairchild weather stripping on my windows installed. The seals aren't sealing, and they're starting to fall apart. I can't find the oem seals anywhere so I was wondering if there is any good brands for this stuff. Any help would be appreciated

I heard that Metro makes some good seals for our cars. Available through Summit Racing.

I bought the Metro kit (part number RKB 1900-101) for my 1986 Regal about two weeks ago. The roof rail seals (part number RR 5020-M) would not seal, regardless of window adjustment. There are two large depressions in the roof rail seals that window adjustment cannot compensate for. Secondarily, both the roof rail seals and door seals are probably not formed properly in the door jam area. I say "probably" because I did not attempt installation of the door seals but it would surprise me if the door would even close with both seals installed.

Metro has yet to accept that there is a problem. Of course, they assume the installer is to blame without even having seen the defective roof rail seal. So far they will not say if this is a problem with every roof rail seal or just the pair that I recieved. It has been 6 days and I've not yet received a refund.

I returned the Metro seal kit and will buy something else. Fairchild or Soffseal I suppose.

Look for the depressions just before the 90-degree angle and just after the 45-degree angle. Both depressions occur in the horizontal section of the seal. Like I said, there is no way these will seal.
https://plus.google.com/photos/1169...s/6004298778892587937?authkey=CNC-vdKr8KuY1QE

It is a shame that the two times in the last 20 years the last set just recently purchased, that the rubber seals around the windows do not seal at the horizontal angles. I was hoping to not have to live with the wind noise any more. Paul is correct no window adjustment will reach the rubber at the angles. Padding behind the seal is not an option. The distance it to great.

Attachments

• window seal 001.jpg
    window seal 001.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 432
I bought the Metro kit (part number RKB 1900-101) for my 1986 Regal about two weeks ago. The roof rail seals (part number RR 5020-M) would not seal, regardless of window adjustment. There are two large depressions in the roof rail seals that window adjustment cannot compensate for. Secondarily, both the roof rail seals and door seals are probably not formed properly in the door jam area. I say "probably" because I did not attempt installation of the door seals but it would surprise me if the door would even close with both seals installed.

Metro has yet to accept that there is a problem. Of course, they assume the installer is to blame without even having seen the defective roof rail seal. So far they will not say if this is a problem with every roof rail seal or just the pair that I recieved. It has been 6 days and I've not yet received a refund.

I returned the Metro seal kit and will buy something else. Fairchild or Soffseal I suppose.

Look for the depressions just before the 90-degree angle and just after the 45-degree angle. Both depressions occur in the horizontal section of the seal. Like I said, there is no way these will seal.
https://plus.google.com/photos/1169...s/6004298778892587937?authkey=CNC-vdKr8KuY1QE
Well that sucks, like I said I tried fairchild and they were horrible.

Although the passenger window is a sad fit the drivers side was a good fit.
Well right now the wind noise on my car is so bad it completely drowns out any other sound while driving on the highway. Hopefully the metro's will work for me since I already ordered them

My soft seal weather stripping sucks too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hopefully you get a good batch. When installed mine on my old cutlass that had to be well over 5 years ago.

Door and trunk seals anyone can make right, it's the more complex ttop seal that no one can duplicate. I've seen a few different sets and I ended up going with the soff seals, when I got them I was very disappointed with the fit and quality even the rubber strips on the outer ttop edge was a good inch short. It's something that I still haven't tackled because when I finally glue them in someone will come up with an awesome set..Mike

Well, when I was looking for some a guy told me this: "OEM is not the cheapest but you don't have to worry about the fit". Man was he right, I've heard too many horror stories about this aftermarket stuff. I bet if you ran a thread on here someone would have OEM stuff they would part with. It's out there but you will have to pay up for it most likely!

Recently bought some aftermarkets from gbodyparts.
Car in the shop now, hoping I won't have these problems.
Any of you guys get from gbodyparts parts?

Recently bought some aftermarkets from gbodyparts.
Car in the shop now, hoping I won't have these problems.
Any of you guys get from gbodyparts parts?

I think what matters is the brand, and perhaps when it was manufactured. I did not (and will not) purchase the weatherstrip from g body parts.

I bought and installed Soffseal roof rail seals for a 1978 Malibu back in 1998. With some window adjustment, it fits ok. I wonder if the later batches are problematic while the earlier batches were ok?

Make sure you can return whatever you purchase.

Paul Lohr