Winter Storage Help

SteveO.

I am happy to say that I will be picking up a 89 tta this coming Saturday :biggrin: . I am wondering if anyone can give some suggestions on storing a car over the Winter months.:confused: The car will be stored in a non-heated detached garage. I have some concerns about field mice getting into the interior. I hate Winter in Michigan.

Thanks for the input in advance.
Steve

Jason,

Good information. I would of never thought about laying down a tarp beneath the car to eliminate moisture.

Thanks,
Steve

The tarp is a good idea. My buddy bought a 15K mile Typhoon from MI. There was a decent amount of rust on the frame and bottom of the car.

I would NOT put a tarp under a car in storage and hesitate to cover them with anything except the most breathable material possible and, even then, only when there's a danger of stuff falling on or scratching them.

In any northern climate unheated space, you'll get condensation. Leave any tools out there....they'll rust. I have bikes - you park a bike out there and come in on a warmer than the past day (one of those 32 degree days in early Feb) and there will be condensation on all the chrome and even drips.

This will happen even if you hang it from the ceiling. The best way to resolve this is ventilation....Throw in a ceiling fan or two and put all four tires on some 2x8 lumber squares. If you can, put a dehumidifier in the garage...Keep the air moving.

As for the mice, etc. - they're real bad news. I'd a) get one of those electronic rodent deterrent things (you'll see them in JC Whitney, etc.) - They give off an inaudible decible pulse that keeps em away. If you can stand it, get some moth balls and hang them in baggies off your firewall and exhaust. Mice hate em (you will need to add a nicer smell to the car in the spring.)

I was in your position for years. It also helps to get in the car and run / move it every 2-3 weeks. The mice won't next if they're bothered regularly.

Your situation bugged me so much, I built this ;) - radiant heat in the floors, ceiling fans, full bath, cable and beer fridge and a constant 65 degrees.

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 82
Throw in a ceiling fan or two and put all four tires on some 2x8 lumber squares. If you can, put a dehumidifier in the garage...Keep the air moving.

I wouldn't suggest keeping it on all 4 tires because they'll flat spot if you're in a climate like mine where the car is put away for like 6 months. Keep the suspension loaded, I put a jack stand under the A-arms in the front and under the LCAs where the connect to the rearend in the rear. Most of the other stuff I fortunatley don't have to worry about since we put a gas heater in our garage. We have a bonus room (extra bedroom that replaces the attic) above the garage so putting the heater in the garage helped keep that room warmer so there was only a very slight increase in the gas bill.

I love your set up. A place like that would make me never want to leave the garage.

To all, thanks for the valuable information.

Steve