Worth $6,000? Or did i get ripped off? =\

Ha this sounds pretty similar. Im getting ready to turn 18 but i got a t-type for my first car when i was 15. Rust issues but interior was good and for the most part mechanically sound. Well about a month after i got it my dad wrecked it. So we replaced the front end. Later i was takin it for a drive and you cant help but get on it a little bit but then the trans went out. We fixed that but the person who was fixing it traded us one of his t types for ours. We gave him the cost of the transmission and my car but got a mint 87' T that is immaculate. Anyway we paid 5500 for the car i chipped in a 1000 but the trans work cost i think 2500. Now i have a T thats worth around 12000. I'd say you got an alright deal it just takes time. Just read up on as much as you can and buy some books if you need to. You'd be suprised at what you could do yourself. Just don't be a afraid to get your hands dirty.

Grit your teeth and get dirty!

I was 16 once too! I have never been able to take a car anywhere to have someone else screw me(work on my car). Never been able to afford it! But I hear so many stories about mechanics and they are not usually good ones!
The only way to come out ahead is to DO IT YOURSELF!!!! at least most of it.
The engine performance stuff can be a challenge for you at this stage of your knowledge, but don't let intimidation stop you!
These cars are alot easier to work on than you think. I wish you lived next door to me. I am my own worst enemy because I don't try to get rich off of people by robbing them. Especially a kid like you that has ambition.
There has got to be someone around that would be willing to help you out. But you may not have been paying attention.(Probably thinking about that hot chick or XBOX 360 or something like that! LOL!!) now quit jackin around and start paying attention! If you are going to have a car___new or old___you should be able to work on it yourself. PERIOD! You are at the right place for questions, so you have already been doing some research here and I'll bet your dad didn't find this website for ya!
As far as hoses, water pump,and front suspension stuff, you don't have to look for a GN mechanic the basics on this car are the same as alot of cars dating back as far as the mid 1960's
And that guy out there that said you should get rid of it and buy a NEW Car?
Bet you he would be knockin on your door to buy that car from you and once again rip you off! Maybe he was messin with ya I don't know but there are alot of people out there who will want to take advantage of you. Just listen and pay attention and be willing to get dirty! and take it one step at a time. It can be overwhelming if you look at the whole picture. So quit worrying about what you don't know and start doing something to change that!
I am 43, I was at the same point you are when I was 16. I have learned alot over the years and i am still learning.
When you get that car on the road be careful...My son was 22 when he was killed in a GN. A tire blew out on the highway and he lost control, it was a freak accident it never should have happened but thats why they call them
"ACCIDENTS". not trying to scare you...just be damn careful. At 43 I have been driving for alot of years and my GN can scare the CRAP out of me everytime I stick 'er to the floor! Its a freakin head rush! I am more of a 0 to 60 guy vs. 60 to 120. not real crazy about that top end speed! Anyway I only hope to inspire you! Go do it kid!!You'll never regret it if you are like a lot of us on here! and it seems to me you are! Good Luck...
Jeff

I was 16 once too! I have never been able to take a car anywhere to have someone else screw me(work on my car). Never been able to afford it! But I hear so many stories about mechanics and they are not usually good ones!
The only way to come out ahead is to DO IT YOURSELF!!!! at least most of it.
The engine performance stuff can be a challenge for you at this stage of your knowledge, but don't let intimidation stop you!
These cars are alot easier to work on than you think. I wish you lived next door to me. I am my own worst enemy because I don't try to get rich off of people by robbing them. Especially a kid like you that has ambition.
There has got to be someone around that would be willing to help you out. But you may not have been paying attention.(Probably thinking about that hot chick or XBOX 360 or something like that! LOL!!) now quit jackin around and start paying attention! If you are going to have a car___new or old___you should be able to work on it yourself. PERIOD! You are at the right place for questions, so you have already been doing some research here and I'll bet your dad didn't find this website for ya!
As far as hoses, water pump,and front suspension stuff, you don't have to look for a GN mechanic the basics on this car are the same as alot of cars dating back as far as the mid 1960's
And that guy out there that said you should get rid of it and buy a NEW Car?
Bet you he would be knockin on your door to buy that car from you and once again rip you off! Maybe he was messin with ya I don't know but there are alot of people out there who will want to take advantage of you. Just listen and pay attention and be willing to get dirty! and take it one step at a time. It can be overwhelming if you look at the whole picture. So quit worrying about what you don't know and start doing something to change that!
I am 43, I was at the same point you are when I was 16. I have learned alot over the years and i am still learning.
When you get that car on the road be careful...My son was 22 when he was killed in a GN. A tire blew out on the highway and he lost control, it was a freak accident it never should have happened but thats why they call them
"ACCIDENTS". not trying to scare you...just be damn careful. At 43 I have been driving for alot of years and my GN can scare the CRAP out of me everytime I stick 'er to the floor! Its a freakin head rush! I am more of a 0 to 60 guy vs. 60 to 120. not real crazy about that top end speed! Anyway I only hope to inspire you! Go do it kid!!You'll never regret it if you are like a lot of us on here! and it seems to me you are! Good Luck...
Jeff

Well said brotha!

I was 14 when I got my first car, an Oldsmobile 442. I worked on that thing constantly and my dad is a nerd and completely oblivious to anything mechanical so I did it all on my own. It was a major learning curve for me. Well I got my liscence and totalled the car 13 days later. Since, I have had 2 Monte SS's, a turbo RX7, and I think 11-13 Turbo Regals and I put a TON of work into every one of them and have learned by doing it all myself. I'm 27, god I feel old!!!, but I have been at it for 13 years now and I can say one thing, look fr knowledge from your elders. They are the ones that will help guide you through everything in life. If it werent for a few of the board members on here, I would still be scratching my head on a lot of stuff.

the only thing listed above 100 in parts was the turbo for 450 and everything else is under 100 with the exception of the ignition coil pack and EM chip, both at 100
You can get good used stock turbos for $100