Worth of 87 GN tranny?

Bob Avellar

I'm going to look at a motor and tranny from a GN. I was wondering what a stock ,untouched correct tranny would be worth. It has somewhere around 70K miles and has not been rebuilt. I realize it may need servicing in the near future but at least it should be a good platform to start from. I will be looking for D5 on the convertor-right? I forget what the markings are for the correct valve body. Is there an X on the protuding edge of the spacer plate above the valve body? I forget if that's the correct name for that part. Oh, and I should see BR7 on the ID tag? I want to pay a fair price-I don't want to screw anybody and I don't want to overpay either. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Anyone ???? I am going to look at it Wed. afternoon and would like to have somebody elses's input on what would be a fair price for both sides. This tranny was from a 70Kxxx mile 87 GN but the car was wrecked quite a few years ago and a guy who ran a body shop put the motor, tranny in a Monza. The guy who owns it now bought it to put into a Vega (cause the Monza was all rusted out) but it sat for the last 2 years. It took him 2 years to find a good Vega body. Now that he has one he wants to go back to the typical hot rod concept of running a V8. A friend of mine who is a mechanic/ hot rodder knows him well and the owner told my friend that it ran fine the last time he drove it. He never registered the Monza because he really just wanted the drive train for the Vega. He is a car buff and owns several street rods so I would think he wouldn't have bought it if it was junk. He knew the guy that he bought it from also. If the price is affordable my main concern is to do a carfax check on the VIN # to make sure everything was above board.

I would say between 200-500.00 depending on how bad you wanted/ needed one. I made a deal with a customer today to buy one for 400.00 delivered to my door from Nebraska, out here in Ca. So at 300-350 both parties should be happy.
( Provided the valve body and gov are both there and no one has "shift kit ruined" either piece.)