WOT problem

sixgun86gn

six offender
I need help with a problem at WOT.The car stutters like its on a rev limiter and doesnt want to shift.Scanmaster shows wildly varying KR,especially at the top of first gear.Second and up KR is very minimal.O2s are reading low at any fuel pressure I set.FP right now is at 44# idle line on.Have tried changing TV cable setting and it does not help.I am running 93 and NOS booster.The heads are P&P,intake is too.cam is comp 206/206 ,rockers are T&D 1.65 ,fuel pump is walbro 340,and new filter.I have an AFPR and boost is 17#.converter is precision 9.5.injectors are new MSD 50#.Chip is from ramchargers and was ordered for the motor with 50s but otherwise stock with pt52.It was installed two days before the bearings spun,but worked fine.I installed the rest during rebuild,could this be the problem?The car never seems to get past 4000 rpm at WOT and it bounces there until it shifts.I have ordered an extender chip and trans + in hopes it will fix this problem.Also has a bad tip in stumble.I have use TEC to remove carbon from the cylinders after break in.Has anyone had this problem before?The springs SHOULD be new as the heads were ordered from Speed inc.This has me wanting to pull my hair out!

P.S. module is new also. Thanks.

Check the fuel pressure at WOT? Postons has a nice set-up, a guage and braided hose for 50 bucks that you can bring up to the windshield with masking tape. The afpr is suspect as well. I'd get that guage, it is something you need anyway.

Check for blue spark at the plugs. Ohm the wires. Swap the coil pack.

I'd have to go with the fueling though. The lean condition can't happen hardly any other way 'cept if the timing is way advanced, or maybe if a driver or two has gone bad in the ecm.

WOW, this is EXACTLY what is happening to my WE-4, all i have is a TTA FPR, hard intake pipe from johnsperformance.com and a 9" cone filter...I took my thrasher chip out becuase it was giving me 20psi at wot:eek: ...so im runnin my stock chip..I just ordered 3" downpipe, and ATR test pipe well bought from some guy on here...other than that its a stock WE-4 ....Does it go really fast till 4k then it just does that right...then it kinda slows down till it shifts then it goes right back up and then at 4k again does the same thing correct? Yup if thats it...Tis what my problem is...From what i heard it could be a Collapsted Fuel Pump sock..Im gunna replace my pump, and hotwire it soon...After i order my TUrbo-Link...Lemme know
Sleeper87

that is exactly what my car is doing.I have an autometer FP guage in the car.FP goes up with boost.Also have KB boost a pump ,doesnt help.Did press in the egr at idle,no stumble.I might need to check my intake gasket under the egr and plug the line.Could this also be a problem?the car heats up quickly after driving it for a few miles and then getting on it.It doesnt heat up past 180 if I just drive it like an old person.It has a 160 t stat because I have a FM intercooler.I have checked the coil for resistance and it shows 12K ohms ,so it should be good.Ther are no exhaust leaks (TEC would have shown those).I have sprayed the whole intake with starting fluid to check for vacuum leaks and no rise in idle.This is just rediculous,its making me hate my car.

I had the same problem one time before. It ended up being a bad set of plug wires, even though the wires were new. Have you Ohm'ed your wires?

Nope, havent done that....Im gunna replace the plugs n wires just in case....Someone told me that it might be a collapsted fuel sock....or something like that...
Sleeper87

I have fresh Valve Springs...my motor was rebuilt bye GM....if you ask me yoiu should be able to WOT the car if its stock.....
Sleeper87

My car is far from stock.I checked the sock and it is ok.checked the EGR by pulling it in at idle.No change.Changed EGR and solenoid today and same thing.I know the EGR port is open at the head because I started it without the EGR in place and it was an exhaust leak.Pulled new egr at idle still no change.Plug wires have not been checked.I will check them.What else could cause my car not to stumble at idle when I pull the EGR?I would think a lean condition or something.Also can see knock if I rev it in park.Mechanical or fuel? The engine sounds just like it did before rebuild.Tapped MAF and no change either.Sprayed everything with starting fluid ,no leaks idle did not change.

changed plug wires.still idles rough and shows 2 to 4* Knock on scanmaster if I rev it in park but only around 4000rpm.scanmaster values at idle are BAT 13.7,INT 126-136,BLM 132,rpm 850-950,TPS .42,IAC 56,O2s 450-650,AF 06.I dont understand what it all means,or what the normal settings are.

Bat=Battery Voltage
INT=Integrator...Short Term Fuel Correction...Norm 115-135
I believe with the Integrator numbers 128 is the sweet spot numbers less then 128 is a lean condition numbers higher a rich condition. This might hold true with the block learn. Too many beers tonight I'm drawing a blank...LOL
IAC=Idle Air Control
TPS=Throttle Position Sensor...Yours is set good for Idle how high does it read when you mat the pedal key on engine off?
AF=Mass Air Flow Measurement...0-255

Do you have a 3" DP and have you checked to make sure it isn't hitting anywhere if you have one? This will cause false knock. An over tighten knock sensor will make the sensor too/overly sensitive.

yes it has a 3" DP.Might be it ,but the knock is usually real bad at WOT at the top of first gear and pulls out lots of timing.checked blms at WOT and they lock on at 128.The plug wires did seem to help a little.And the revs limit to about 4000 and bounce there until shift.Going to try some race gas to see if it helps.BTW what is the proper torque spec for the Knock sensor? If I tap it at idle or a little above it doesnt do anything ,no change in engine rpm.Doesnt even show on the scanmaster.Also need to know why te EGR makes no stumble when pulled in at idle.Like I stated there are no vacuum leaks and the EGR holds a vacuum when I put a pump on it.Thanks for all the help and suggestions ,I think we are closing in on the problem.Keep it coming guys,its a great help to me.

14 ft-lbs is the correct torque for the knock sensor. Your TPS seems to be set fine. If you get near or at 5.0 Volts or above that'll make you stutter at WOT.

I don't have an answer for your EGR problem. I do know when you reach under it and lift it off it's seat at idle the engine will miss and stutter like it has a big cam in it. Are your spark plugs gapped at a tight .035?

IMHO NOS Booster and products like it are a complete waste of money. Add 3 gallons of Toluene or Xylene to 3/4 tank of 92/93 octane for a nice octane boost. Use caution adding this if you want to try it.

Your tip in stumble could be helped/cured by a chip upgrade. I know Joe Lubrant burns some great chips that addresses this problem. I'm sure others do as well I just know for sure that Joe does.

spark plugs are gapped at .035.also new plugs.I think I may have found the problem.When I started it up today it made a loud clunk sound in the bellhousing area.I think my flywheel or torque converter may be loose.It maket a funny sound and a vibration.Normally I ride in it with the windows down and I cant hear it but I had the windows up today pulling it out of the driveway.Good thing the radio was off,or I might have not noticed.I will check it out and keep you guys informed.Thanks for the info.

I have read where loose convertor bolts will make the knock sensor go crazy...good luck.

Add an 86 TT to the list. Stutters at 5000, won't shift until you back off a touch.

50 PSI at WOT, AFR ~10.5:1 (WBO2).

I'll change the plugs and wires but I'm skeptical. It's a lot like a bad coil.

Mine does the same thing untill you back off the throttle it sometimes doesnt shift...
Sleeper87

darn, mine does the same thing. i beleave i found my problem. its the gov. spring in the trans. it controles the shift at wot. the trans. shifts wonderful at 98% throttle or less, however when i hit wot it just hangs in there and the tach. just flutters around 4,500 rpm. kinda studders also. maby give it a look-see it might be your problem. o yea it shifts if i back off the throttle a bit.