WOT problem

Yes yes this is myt issue at WOT, how do you replace...how much, where, and was it hard.....thanks and did it fix urs
Sleeper87

Sleeper, your problem is you are still running the stock fuel pump. Fix that before you spend a lot of money fixing problems you don't have. The car isn't shifting, because the RPMs stop rising and never make it to the shift point. Don't blame your transmission if your car can't rev to 5000 RPM.

A cheap test would be to close up the gap on your spark plugs. I just did that a couple days ago and it fixed my high boost break-up problems.

the gov. spring is a common problem on tr's. its very easy to see if it is your problem, and if you need to change your trans fluid its even better. remove the pan, drain fluid, look beside valve body all the to the rear of the trans. you will see a cover with four bolts,two on each side. this is the gov. cover, remove and gov. will drop also. on the part that goes up there will be a gear, the other (bottom) end will have a piece that pivots and in one side of this piece there will be a spring that sits horizontal to the gov. assembly.if this spring is gone look no futher, your car will not shift at wot becaues the gov. controls this and with out the spring it cant function correctly... i got mine from a person off the trans section , i beleave it was meanbuicks. and thay are inexpensive. its just a tiny thing, a little longer than a spring you would find in a ball point pen, and maby twice as round.i hope its your problem cause its a easy fix.;)and i have stock cam and heads and my car makes max hp at 4,400 rpms i dont shift at 5,000.mine shifts fine at 4,400 wot.

10.5AFR??

Terry, that 10.5 AFR at WOT is way rich...
At what boost are you when you reach WOT?? If you have only 50# of FP, it would require you to be not more than about 8-10#. [Assuming you have the FP set to about 40-42 psi, line off, engine idling.]
What's the combo??

Originally posted by terryk
Add an 86 TT to the list. Stutters at 5000, won't shift until you back off a touch.

50 PSI at WOT, AFR ~10.5:1 (WBO2).

I'll change the plugs and wires but I'm skeptical. It's a lot like a bad coil.

I agree with Chuck. I think our friend Bruce said his car liked 12.6:1 or somewhere around there.

GOV spring

I think if the gov spring has been dislodged, then the tranny will not shift out of low at any rpm. Bruce???

Bruce and I had a long conversation about this and certainly it's too rich but I'm too chicken to lean it out until the EGT is connected (which I have).

It seems to be fine now. I took out the ATR Pit Bull and have been working with a stock 87 recall chip and making changes. I also just installed a Translater and 3.5" LS1 mass.

15PSI, 52 PSI FP at WOT.

Mods: Ls1/Translater, ATR Headers, RA FP, chrome.

KNOK??

6gun, the FP at 44psi w/ the line on is too high. The FP settings are done w/ the line off. In your case the line on @44, would be 50 line off... About 10# too high. You can get rich Knok too. Try to clean up the AFR w/ a FP change and see what happens.

Overheat on a hard pull is a good indicator that there's compression leaking into the cooling system. AKA: blown headgasket.:(

Terry, the AFR at 10 can and will cause all kinds of tuning problems. I'd not be concerned w/ EGT at only 15# of boost. At that level, an AFR of 12 is good to go.
Doing the math w/ the FP & boost #'s you have posted shows the fuel system is not keeping up w/ the boost. IE: 50# FP and and 15# boost HAS to be 65# of fuel pressure at WOT. Less than that and you are in trouble. Why do you have the base FP so high??

What am I missing here?

10:1 AFR at 52 PSI and you are saying the fuel pressure isn't high enough?

The car runs like a bat out of hell.

FP HIGH ENUF??

What I'm saying is that IF the WOT fp is 50#, [in your original post] at 15# of boost, then the base FP must be in the 35psi, line off area. Otherwise, if the FP is set in the usual baseline area of 40-42, adding the 15# of boost to the 42 should see 57# of FP.
Not knowing where you have the base FP set to, makes these calcs a bit of guesswork.
If the car runs as well as you say it does, I'd be looking at the accuracy of the FP ga and/or the WB O2.;) Where do you have the WB positioned??

Guess the bottom line is, I'm as confused as you are.:confused: :confused:

No, that's about right. 35PSI at idle with no vacuum. Hits 52PSI pretty quick. Closed loop BLM's are right at 125-130. Couldn't ask for more. Well, I could......

The WB can be placed in two places, one is the turbo inlet (opposite the NB) or the downpipe about 6 inched from the turbo. The difference in readings isn't that significant.

One thing I should point out is that the delayed shift seems to only occur after a downshift. If I start from zero and shift through 1st to 2nd it will shift fine.

The trans apparently has a kit in it. If I set the TVS cable per the manual, it shifts fine but shifts wayyyyyyyy toooooo HARD. If I back the adjuster off a make it civil, the problem comes up. I'm thinking that I'm inducing it by playing with the TVS. I know some people love those differential pounding shifts, but I don't.

How much do you folks trust your WB? I've been tuning my WOT AFR (without the EGT installed, bad I know). From everything I can tell, the WB is dead-nuts on. Would you trust leaning the engine out with the WB only? How far?

Also, it seems there is aways this last second increase in the AFR past 10:1 (under 1V on the WB). I can dial the AFR leaner with the PE RPM and/or PE TPS (I tend to use the PE RPM) and I leaned it out to about 11.5:1 until that last 500 RPM around 5000 then it shoots past 10:1. I can't seem to control this last enrichment. I've been all over the code and I can't nail down the cause.

Anyone else experience this?

Terry

Same thing here, in first its bad i can only get 1/2 to 3/4 thottle or it will knock and die out in power and backfire some times , making it not want to shift. when it gets in 2nd some times it will pull real hard at 3/4 thottle but most the time seems like its running lean or something.

I am putting some msd plug wires on later to see if it works , iam running a reds 93 chip and 43psi fuel press with the vac line off. When i hooked the fuel guage up and drove it i dont think it want over 55psi at 15-17 psi boost.

it must be the time of the year, i dont think they like the heat:)

good luck with yours , if i find any thing i'll let you know.