You can type here any text you want

Would i benefit much from a LS1 Maf....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Just wondering if it's worth my while to swap over to 60lb injectors and a LS1 3.5 Maf w/Translater....

My car has gone 11.69 @ 117 mph so far with the stock style Maf and 42.5 injectors...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

If your not having any issues with your current set up then it prolly wont make much difference. When the stocker starts to crap out, then I would step up.

My $.02

thumbsup.gif

Are you seeing 255g's out of the Stock Maf?

There is a significant amount of backpressure the 3.5" and Z06 Mafs release over the stock, it's not a waste of money considering there are power and reliability benefits to those Mafs.

What's your duty cycles with the 009's?
I just went with the Translator and LT1 MAF. Stocker was on it's way out. Best thing I've done in a while. Run's WAY better now. Had to be affecting performance...

i ran the stock maf to 6.80's in the 1/8,and truly felt the larger pipes and maf were not a restriction.i really questioned those who have posted gains in high 11 second cars when i was running mid 10's on the stocker.then i decided to go 4 inch pipe and zo6 sensor and let the 64 billet strim eat as much as it would like,yes just out of curiosity.i must say it made a very noticable difference.besides being louder,the car required more fuel,and got into boost faster.all in all a gain on my car,now when is it needed, dam good question.

My 3" LT1 MAF made my surge worse on my TE44, so it must have improved flow some. I just did it b/c the stocker was shot. It does drive and idle better though but I had to install a tornado to get the surge away thearby limiting the flow back to stock MAF levels. The boost as measured at the TB shouldn't change regardless of MAF depending on boost control setup. I would think on a turbo car, the turbo either works more or less hard but produces the same airflow regardless of MAF unless making a big change as noted above from a stock MAF to a 4".

Just wondering if it's worth my while to swap over to 60lb injectors and a LS1 3.5 Maf w/Translater....

My car has gone 11.69 @ 117 mph so far with the stock style Maf and 42.5 injectors...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

hello peoples; IMO you have the controls and experimenting is part of the fun especially if your a racer. I'm no racer but if it was me I'd try the MAF upgrade and tune for it. Then after exhausting that I'd do what ever else you want but only one change at a time. I'm going 3.5" MAF on a street car with no real reason other than to almost match my CAI without going 4". I have a the original MAFS in my car now and that's from the year 86. I'd do it and if it doesn't work sell if as you gonna need a translater.
IBBY

This might help some.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6JSvVn2ns[/YOUTUBE]

hello; I watched that video and he has the equipment to give real data. He uses the stock MAF sensor in the video and he should try the larger ones to give us the real answers.
IBBY

If your not having any issues with your current set up then it prolly wont make much difference. When the stocker starts to crap out, then I would step up.

My $.02

X2 !! If it isn't broke why mess with it :p

X2 !! If it isn't broke why mess with it :p

While this is always good advice....

One must remember, there are SIGNIFICANT flow gains to be made by switching up from the stock MAF to a 3" LT1, and even more when switching up to a 3.5" LS1 MAF.
Richard proved this on his flow bench the last session.

And yes, these gains can be realized even on us slow high 11 second runners. I proved this in actual track runs back in the late 90's.

While this is always good advice....

One must remember, there are SIGNIFICANT flow gains to be made by switching up from the stock MAF to a 3" LT1, and even more when switching up to a 3.5" LS1 MAF.
Richard proved this on his flow bench the last session.

And yes, these gains can be realized even on us slow high 11 second runners. I proved this in actual track runs back in the late 90's.

Didn't Red Armstrong run a stock maf for YEARS ?? :p Oh what do you call significant ?? I didn't start playing with the bigger mafs till 2007.

Didn't Red Armstrong run a stock maf for YEARS ?? :p Oh what do you call significant ?? I didn't start playing with the bigger mafs till 2007.

I can't remember the 3.5" numbers, but at Richard's session this year, he measured a single screen stock maf and a 3" LT1 maf. The LT1 outflowed the stock maf by 100 CFM!! :eek:

I call that significant.

When I upgraded from a stock maf to an LT1 my drivability improved (it does on virtually every car that makes the switch), and back then I was still heavy into racing. I picked up a consistent 1-1.2 tenths, and 2 mph.

I gained virtually identical numbers when upgrading from the LT1 maf to the LS1 sensor.

The off idle responsiveness improved at every step up.

No, maybe the OP doesn't "need" to make the upgrade, but it gets really old hearing the constant lines that there's no improvement to be made untill you're running xx.xx!

I don't care how fast or slow one's car is....The laws of physics cannot be denied. There WILL be an improvement. Now, how much is one willing to spend to see and improvement? That's up to the individual.

And there are those that keep saying, "well so and so ran 9's on a stock maf".... It's a meaningless arguement because there's no info on the huge bucks that were spent on getting a motor built to make that kind of power. :confused:
Such arguements only have any validity when comparing apples to apples. Could that 9 second car have gone quicker and faster with an LS1 MAF? Of course. Can a 14 second car see a gain by going to a bigger maf? Absolutely!

BTW, I'm one of those high 11 second guys that "shouldn't have needed" such an upgrade. Going from low 12's into the 11.60's? Needed? I consider it money well spent.

I love my 3.5

My car responds better all around . I sold my stock maff after testing the zo6 maff and the 3.5 would never go back . They would'nt be building them if it did'nt work .. This is not opinion its fact!!!!! Ask r.c. He would never lie about research ..

Back