wrecked 200 4r

camaro69_427

first i want to say hello on this board. my setup is a 200 4r in a 69 camaro with a 468 BBC. i´m located in austria/europe.

i bought a MPH Powerlink 850HP rated 200 4r(MPH is in santa ana) back in spring from a guy in munich/germany. it was brand new on the crate and he sold it because he decided to go with a manual. the swap from my old th 350 was easy and i was so happy to get a 4th gear overdrive on our highways. but my happiness lasted only 400 miles till i did my second burnout in front of a dinner friday night. i don´t really remember in which gear i was in, but it was 3rd or 4th, then it made a loud bang. so i had no movement at all in every gear. first i thought it was the converter but i swapped over to my high stall one and it didn´t work either. what i really missed was testing for oil pressure cause i had a race on sunday so i spent saturday swapping back the th350. i disassembled it and checked all parts but nothing was obviously broken and no metal parts in the pan, both roller clutches worked one way, checked the pump for the veins, shafts, etc..... nothing......
the only thing i found out that there should be a small plug underneath the valve body that seems to be a oil passage to the low/reverse housing area.

does anybody have some more suggestions on that? mph is not replying on my mails and finding somebody to repair this tranny in europe is almost impossible.

thanks,
pat

Are you sure you didnt overlook a twisted off forward clutch housing shaft or a stripped out front planet? You should post up pictures of the internals so we can advise on what to do next. You should have an aftermarket billet driveline through the trans or parts breakage will be a problem with the application. You should already have some of those parts in there if you have an 850hp rated trans.

post pics of the od planet and od ring gear internal spline,forward drum and input shaft.you have found the right place to seek assistance.

wow thanks for those fast replys.......
i took some pictures today, the darker ones were made with my mobile phone that´s why the quality is a little worse. i checked all the teeth again but nothings broken but maybe i´ve overseen something.
i posted them on my putfile homepage, they should be on the startpage as recent uploads. otherwise just go on view all pictures and then there should be a folder named transmission. (www).putfile.com/camaro427
i had to remove the www cause i´m not allowed to link before i made 4 posts, sorry.

thanks,
pat

Attachments

• 35306411318.jpg
    35306411318.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 319
  • 100_40221.JPG
    100_40221.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 327
ouch.........i thought that part should have been like that.
so chris i need that part under my christmas tree :D can we work that out till monday its just 17000 miles and UPS is working on weekends :biggrin:

does it look like an aftermarket piece to you guys? does anybody know those guys at mph? i just know that a george from hawaii has built my tranny and in the description that i got was "twice heat-treated forward input drum" as modification.

I'm not expert, but to my way of thinking, the only thing heat treating is going to do to that part is make it more brittle (not a desirable affect).

You need the billet drum. Virtually unbreakable!!!

but why do they praise it as 850HP rated with such a piece of crap in it!!!!!!!!! that makes me total pi......:mad: i paid a lot of money for it cause i wrecked my old th350 after 2 seasons of street driving and i wanted to get something bulletproof.

does it look like an aftermarket piece to you guys? does anybody know those guys at mph? i just know that a george from hawaii has built my tranny and in the description that i got was "twice heat-treated forward input drum" as modification.

George from Hawaii?. :confused:

Art Carr use to sell a heat treated drum. I tried one years ago and it eventually broke. I'm now using billet ones from Bruce (PTS) and Chris (CK Performance) with no failures. :)

George from Hawaii?. :confused:

somebody ever heard from mph transmissions in santa ana? they don´t even have a webpage. i just asked cause there´s a guy named mike who sells the trannys and george (from hawaii :biggrin: ) is building the transmissions.
i really was just asking if anyone has connections to them.

thats correct about the heat treating.there really is no place for a stock drum in a hp 2004r.weve made them better and cheaper than anyone else and people are charging big $$$ for transmissions and still refuse to use them.there are companies selling 2004rs for more than us and not using a billet drum.ours is standard.and no there not blowing up left and right either,were not perfect but are doing a great job.our new parts are going to power levels way beyond what others have done.that heat treated drum is inadequate in my opinion.i could induction harden them and sell them for cheaaper than art carr texas but guess what?they are still inadequate.our spline and welding is producing the strongest drum available.

and that´s the reason why i´d rather spend some money on your drum, instead of waiting for another replacement piece of crap from MPH

somebody ever heard from mph transmissions in santa ana? they don´t even have a webpage. i just asked cause there´s a guy named mike who sells the trannys and george (from hawaii :biggrin: ) is building the transmissions.
i really was just asking if anyone has connections to them.

Interesting... dont know who this George is... Hawaii is not a large automotive community...