Wrx

Originally posted by 1970gsx
"Numbers are fluid but these were put up in 1989 with Gatorbacks and in stock form:
0-60: 5.5 sec
1/4 mile: 13.5 sec
60-0: 139'
roadholding: 0.86g
weight/hp: 13.4:1"

Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Base Price : $30,995
Engine : 4 cyl. turbo, 300 hp, 300 lb-ft
0-60 mph : 4.7 sec.
0-¼ mile : 13.2 seconds @ 104.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 114 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.90 g
This is an apples/oranges comparison. Same as comparing today's muscle car performance #'s to that of the 1970 Chevelle SS 454. That being take a stock TTA and toss on some top notch tires and those #'s will change substantially. Or, take some crappy low-tech tires and toss'em on a Sub and see how it performs then.

Originally posted by 87grandnat
dude dont make me wish i woulda got a tta over my gn, your making this car seem to good to be true, how did the gn compare to the tta?
I have owned 2 GNs, 1 Typhoon and 1 TTA. By far the most balls out fun was the TTA. It just didn't turn heads as a GN does and as already stated looks like a plain-jane 5.0 (slow) F-Body...to the untrained eye of course.

Originally posted by TT/A1233

This is an apples/oranges comparison. Same as comparing today's muscle car performance #'s to that of the 1970 Chevelle SS 454. That being take a stock TTA and toss on some top notch tires and those #'s will change substantially. Or, take some crappy low-tech tires and toss'em on a Sub and see how it performs then.
I agree. :rolleyes:

the most balls out fun was the TTA. It just didn't turn heads as a GN does and as already stated looks like a plain-jane 5.0 (slow) F-Body...to the untrained eye of course.

That is exactly why I loved the TTA so much. The fact that it turned and braked well was also another plus:D

GN : Of course don't forget that many people still to this day will mistake a GN for a Monte SS....LOL

Aww come on. We know the Subie is just capitalizing on its looks to just sleep its way to the top!

Originally posted by TT/A1233

Seems that you dug your own hole for this one. Before you said
"I've been in a lot of cars and the TTA is in it's own league. There's simply nothing on the road that compares to it short of something EXOTIC. Acceleration, skidpad, breaking, it has it all...."
Then when Greg points out the example of a car that will outperform the T/A in every category stock for stock, and is certainly short of something exotic, you complain that it's an unfair comparrison.

"Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?"
Look guys, YOU ALL have YOUR OWN opinions, but here is mine:
Muscle Cars: had a back seat, cheap, lots of power.
GNs: the "refreshed Muscle Car"
Cobra: has back seat, moderatly cheap, lots of power=the NEW Muscle Car.
STi=RALLY CAR. NOT STREET RACER. "Pacific Muscle" to quote Project Gotham Racing 2
Give cars respect that deserve it.
Our cars didnt even pull 13s stock. (super low 14s though) And our motors are 1.3L bigger than the STi; larger turbos too.
Also, in reference to a previous post, the STi doesnt have ultra high performance tires, that's the beauty of all-wheel drive:you dont need as much tire to grip on a launch.
You cant compare a modded car to a stocker.
Hey, I may have a PINTO that pulls 9s, but your not going to say that a Pinto is better than an Enzo because my Pinto pulls hard on the Ferrari are you?

One last thing I forgot:
The first time I saw GNs: "UGLY! It's a box with smaller boxes for lights and big ugly bumpers! I dont care how fast they CAN be, they are not very good looking cars."
I was used to old school muscle: My 66 GTO. Long live the spirit of the GTO!!!!!!!
I like the look of the GN now. I have accepted a newer school of muscle...why can't yall?

Thank you for your time,
Wesley Bryant

Originally posted by madhat

Our cars didnt even pull 13s stock. (super low 14s though) And our motors are 1.3L bigger than the STi; larger turbos too.
Also, in reference to a previous post, the STi doesnt have ultra high performance tires, that's the beauty of all-wheel drive:you dont need as much tire to grip on a launch.

Thank you for your time,
Wesley Bryant

First - Intercooled GN's certainly were capable of and DID pull high 13's stock off the showroom floor - I owned one that I bought brand new that did. While very low 14's were the average, many did in fact turn high 13's.

Secondly - the tires on the STi are certainly of a higher performance rating than just a standard street tire. Maybe they're not Formula 1 ready, but they aren't a Pep Boys tire either.

And lastly, you may have accepted a new line of thinking but this is STILL a TURBO BUICK board. You're preaching to the wrong choir here son.

Peace.

It is under WRX! If you dont wann read about WRX's go to a different post. This is for Buick guys that are interested in turbo Subarus too. The tires that come on the STi are crappy summer tires. None of the STi guys (including me) like the stock tires, and replace them asap. Wait a few years till used WRX's and STi's are cheaper. I have a feeling that some more of the Buick crowd will have a change of hart. And give their Grand Natioals a little brother. Im telling you, drive one, it is a fun car (WRX and Sti).

Nick

Hey Z06, My best friend has an 02 WRX pushing 16.5psi. Fun car. I bet the STi is MUCH more fun though...

OK, this is the last thing I will say about this:

STREET RACING=JAIL TIME.(atleast here in Texas)(I know-I got to sit in a highway patrol vehicle and be warned about that)(I wasnt even racing, I was actually just showing my friend that I couldnt spool up w/ current converter...)

If we are sooooooo much better than STi's, then how come NASIOC(Scooby board) will flame you hard core if you talk about a kill story?!?!?!?!?!?!?
How many of you have raced an STi at the track?
That's where the races should be.
Dont worry about how a casual driver on the street holds up to you...
See what the ones who are out looking for the best times can do up against you!
And even if their spoiler is too much for just a street car, so are our 11 sec daily drivers!!!! You dont NEED that kind of power on the street...it only causes trouble...

Wrx or STi ??

Well we own a WRX now. The car has a down pipe ,up pipe ,and a 3 inch exhaust with a ECU up grade with a blow off valve ,and my thoughts about this car is that it is a ok car. My best friend own a STI ,and he was kinda disapointed with the car. When we saw a Cobra at the track go high 11's with a pully and exhaust ,and we were struggling for 12.80 ,and his car was modded. He still owns the car ,but when it get warm he is going to trade the car in for a Cobra. That DOHC 4.6 is one of the baddest motors ever built. I think that alot of magazine boost the import craze ,because that is what's in now. How many 10 second or high 9 seconds STIs out there on a stock long block? I have not seen any. The Mod motor is a proven motor ,so my money would be at the ford dealer.

Re: Re: Wrx

Originally posted by bsdlinux
IrvJr

Sorry man but it looks like your post has been completely hijacked to the point where it is just a pissing contest. It is ashame that this thread had boiled down to pointless drivel about this make verese that :mad:

To the rest of you involved in the rantings and ravings:
Who gives a S***!! This is a Kill-Fish Story page supposedly about Buicks. We have no moderator here anymore to move the damn thing to the Lounge where it obviously belongs now.

Some of the older members I see here know better. You know who you are.:eek:

Too bad they didn't listen back then... and on and on and on it goes. :rolleyes:

Re: Wrx or STi ??

Originally posted by Boost1
That DOHC 4.6 is one of the baddest motors ever built.

Oh, it's not THAT "bad". It could never hold a candle to the LS1/LT1, and the Ford boys finally figured out, with the Mach 1 and the new 2005 GT, how to match the HP of a Subaru 4 cyl. :p The nice thing about the 2005 car is that it's not on a chasis older than I am.

It could never hold a candle to the LS1/LT1

I owned a 2000 SS, and I'm a huge fan of the LT1/4&LS1/6. However, being that the 03 Cobra stock longblock has already been in the 9s and maybe even 8s, I wouldn't say it can't hold a candle to the LS1/6. And the LT1 really isn't on the same level as either the LS1/6 or DOHC. Something else to remember is the DOHC is working with 1.1 less litres. They're both amazing motors. The LS1/6 is hands-down the best pushrod motor on the planet, but the DOHC is pretty badass itself. Aside from the 03 Cobra motor, many folks have been bottom 12s, and some high 11s, on N/A DOHC motors with only boltons.
And don't think I'm forgetting the STi, EVO, or SRT-4.... those little motors are putting out serious performance.

Vicious,

As far as the candle comment, I was really thinking stock 4.6 GT vs the LS1 (and in that case I think it's fair to say LT1 too). It's just no contest. My statement was too general though.
ANYWAY, since I'm not as knowledgeable on Ford motors...what is the real advantage of the 4.6 to the 5.0. The 5.0 sure sounds meaner to me. But then again, I've seen WAY too many loud 5.0s that strain to pull a high 14.
It seems I'm taking this hijacking on a tangent!

Hey, the thread is done hijacked..... might as well enjoy the fact that no one is arguing at the moment! ;)

The 5.0 is a nasty little motor. I have many friends who are putting down serious power. However, that usually accompanies the lack of A/C, interior, streetability (i.e. big cams, extremely loud, etc). I know there are many extrememly fast, and comfortably streetable, 5.0s out there. Just seems to me that you can get a lot of power out of the DOHC in a more streetable fashion. I guess the advantage is just technology. And you'd be suprised at the similarities in sound. It seems they've managed to retain the classic Mustang exhaust note. The aftermarket is finally starting to catch up for the 4.6, so it's gonna get really interesting over the next couple of years! I've been a GM man forever, but I'm sold on my Cobra. Now I just gotta find another GN to park next to it.
And a '93 Cobra, MKIV 6spd, '02 GTS, '69 Boss, '67 Shelby, '68 Camaro w/LS6 transplant, '69 Chevelle, '55 Chevy, '70 GS Stg II....... ya, I'm never gonna have enough money or garage space! :D

The ignorance in this thread from both sides seriously amazes me. We have the WRX fanboys like I eat Z06 who would argue how the STi is superior to a Top Fuel rail because it has AWD, to the hardcore "pushrods for life" domestic boys that would pick a Gremlin over an NSX because it was built to last, boy howdy!

Christ.

no syhopeful us domestic guys arent stupid we would take the nsx but we would just sell it for something better, my choice would be a new zo6.