You can type here any text you want

Wuich valve springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta583

Looking to do the valve springs on my motor as a spring project. Car has 27K origional miles and all stock internals. The usual bolt on upgrades - injectors, adj. WG, FP, 62mm TB etc.. I have no intention of changing the cam. The question is...what spring? I have had mixed response on the stock LT-1 springs or comp cams springs for a stick cam. Thoughts? I hear the comp cams are more precise in terms of open and closed pressure but I know they are a little heaver than the LT-1's so I don't want to wipe the cam after a short time.

The car is also an '89 TTA. Same spring as the g-body folks? I know the valve trains are different.

Thanks,

Brent

I would go with Comp Cams. 980's.

Don't really know what you mean by heavier?

Pressure with both springs and no cups is very close to the Buick spec., I measured mine.

Just my .02

SalvageV6

The Comp Cams springs I was looking at were the 941's. They have a seat load of 135#, an open load of 359# at a reat of 447. I don't know what the stock LT1 springs are. My understanding of the stock Buick spring is that it is about 90# at the seat, I don't have the other specs.

The 980's look closer to what I understand stock to be when comparing the only number I (think) I know about the stock set. The 980's look to be 91#ers.

Make any sense, what I said or even the comparison???

I will be the first to say I don't know, this is my first stab at this.

Brent

LT-1 is NOT to be comfused with LT1.

LT-1 is a early 70's hydraulic cam 350, LT1 is a mid 90's roller cammed 350.

Putting LT1 springs in a buick will wipe the cam. LT-1 springs are just within stock 3.8L limits.

Thanks for that clarifcation. To be honest I knew there were "things" of a similar name from those time periods but to be honest, I never gave it much thought as to specify thinking the about the late model stuff as I was.

So go with late LT-1 springs? Stock LT-1? Comp cams equiv? Just new stock Buick springs and avaoid the entire mess?

Brent

I'd do (and I did do) the comp cams 980s, no cups. It's been a proven reliable upgrade/replacement.

Actually, the valve spring used on the 370hp 350LT1 motor of the 70s is nothing more than a stock Chevrolet valve spring. That particular motor came with a solid lifter flat tappet camshaft. Those claiming to have Z/28 springs of the same vintage(60s and 70s), are using the same spring as above. If you want a heavier GM spring, the spring in my sig is for Chevrolet 1st Racing design camshaft. It is a very close match to the CC980 spring. Personally, I like the GM spring, but many on this board prefer the CC spring. IMHO you'll get good performance out of either spring. But if you're installing them with a new cam, just be sure to break the cam in properly. Oh yea, the color of the VS in my sig is a reddish brown.

Well, It sounds like the cc980's are the host ticket. Thanks, zam70, for mentioning the cups, I forgot to ask.

One more... Does any one have any thoughts on the TTA head? I know the upper valve train is different but are the springs the same?

Thanks again guys!!

Brent

Folks, any idea on the TTA heads?

I have also been doing some reading throught other threads. What should I be shooting for in terms of pressures at the seat?

Brent

Back