You can type here any text you want

XFI communication problem, but different...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

disco stu

It only drops communication when it hit's 21 psi. Could it be RFI? Vibration (does the same if it's held or sitting in the seat)? I've tried the other USB ports on the computer as well.
I dunno. It's consistent. And annoying.

I don't have an internal logger. I'm running Vista. I'm running FAST's USB adapter, with the correct driver. Concerning the RFI possibility, I'm running stock ignition, and I don't think any of my grounds are likely to be suspect.

I would try another laptop, but I don't have one readily available.

Anyone have any ideas? Scratchin my head.

How many frames per second are you recording? I see a lot of laptops that can not process more than 10 frames/sec. If someone is logging with the laptop in the car I usually change the settings to the slower rate. Sometimes people try to log too many sensors at one time also.

Disco, it's all that power. The laptop goes into "Oh Sh1T" mode.. lol

Lol, I wish that was it!

Still having the problem. Tried 10 FPS. Seems to be more sporadic at lower boost levels. I'm gonna be a little upset if I bought this laptop and can't even tune a car with it.

John,

Are you still down in College Station? I will be down there on the 23rd if you need any help.

John Martin
1986 Buick T-type
9.71 @ 140
6.21 @ 112

Try closing your plug gap a little :-). Maybe you are getting a misfire or wire arcing over at 21 psi and the extra rfi is killing the laptop. Also, if you are running the laptop off an inverter, try it once on batteries for the same reason. Just a thought.

I'm leaning towards the laptop as well. They do weird things especially with a low battery. Last weekend I was tuning a car with BS3 and was having some issues until swapping to a laptop with a full battery.

Also look at how many sensors you are recording. You can log too many. If you still have these issues. Try logging the most important 5 sensors and see how it works.

Disco Stu,
Are you going to the Temple race on the 23rd?

I'm leaning towards the laptop as well. They do weird things especially with a low battery. Last weekend I was tuning a car with BS3 and was having some issues until swapping to a laptop with a full battery.

Also look at how many sensors you are recording. You can log too many. If you still have these issues. Try logging the most important 5 sensors and see how it works.

Dusty,

You may have solved all the BS3 problems in one statement!!! ;) Otto had a XFI v8 on my dyno that was doing the same thing he was using a new laptop I would lean towards that :(

John, still in BCS, come on by.

Could be RFI... but a tight .32 and Taylor Pro make me think to look elsewhere. I think it's either an issue with logging too many channels kije Dusty said, or something with Vista, or a combo of both. Battery was good, new laptop, so battery life is great.

Louie, I am gonna be in Temple. Are you?

Here's where I am retarded. The box has an internal logger in it. :redface: See what happens when ya stop messin with Buicks for awhile?

Dusty,

You may have solved all the BS3 problems in one statement!!! ;) Otto had a XFI v8 on my dyno that was doing the same thing he was using a new laptop I would lean towards that :(

The BS3 wouldn't log at all, then it decided it didn't want to communicate:( Another laptop with a full battery fixed the issues. Then I plugged the deranged laptop into a power source and it started communicating. The odd thing, when it did communicate with the BS3 with the low battery it was showing 62.5 degrees of timing throughout the entire timing map...glad I didn't save it to the ecm:eek:

Im about 90% sure Ill be there too. I will bring my lap top. Maybe we can figure it out.

Hey John,
I'll swing by with my laptop this evening if ya want. At least see if its in the laptop or not.
Todd

Back