Y connector on a Hot Air??

turbonut85

Rarely used member
I was reading another thread---"turn the boost up!" and read something interesting. This might be a silly question, but.....Is there supposed to be a "one-way Y connector" on a Hot Air?? If so, where should it be?? I'm not sure I put it back in when I replaced ALL the vaccuum lines!:eek: ---Keith

I was reading another thread---"turn the boost up!" and read something interesting. This might be a silly question, but.....Is there supposed to be a "one-way Y connector" on a Hot Air?? If so, where should it be?? I'm not sure I put it back in when I replaced ALL the vaccuum lines!:eek: ---Keith

The grey plastic "y" has a restrictor in it, that's all.
In essence, it delays the time the actuator sees full boost, therefore reducing lag.
This is NOT a one-way flowing valve. With a one-way (depending how it is positioned), you would have two things happen;
1- Overboost - Actuator would never see boost to open the flapper.
2 -Underboost - Actuator would never close the flapper after it sees boost as the sensing line to the actuator would not bleed down.

Having said all that, the "y" can only be installed "one correct way".
Hope this helps. :cool:

It should have a .054" hole in the one leg of the Y leading up to the "top" portion of the Y.

So, where should it be?? Can someone post a vaccuum diagram that shows the correct location for the Y??

\\ ||
\\||
||
||

For lack of a better drawing, it should be right where the top of the straight shot is. :)

That didn't come out right at all. CRAP!

On Brad's sticker, it is the line coming right off the compressor. Restricts the pressure to both the solenoid and wastegate simultaniously.

\\ ||
\\||
||
||

For lack of a better drawing, it should be right where the top of the straight shot is. :)

That didn't come out right at all. CRAP!

On Brad's sticker, it is the line coming right off the compressor. Restricts the pressure to both the solenoid and wastegate simultaniously.

The sticker I posted was a stock 84/85 vacuum setup. I now run the single one line vacuum to the waste gate actuator. I will be going back to the dual vacuum actuator later this year. The only reason is the Postons single line waste gate actuator sits to high on the turbo and trashes the hoodliner. l have two spare 84/85 hoodliners and I will not screw it up with a single hose waste gate actuator. Take-care- Brad

Ok, got an idea. :tongue:
Look in the sticky, post #1, towards the the bottom.
View the link "MORE Hose hookups. :cool:

That answers my question.....next question...Hypothetically speaking, if one were to have "misplaced" such "Y" connector, where would one find such an animal??:redface: :redface: :D

You can really find any part for our cars except for a larger downpipe. This is how I would find the Y connetor.

1. Seach this board for people who have converted to the 87 and are selling hot air parts. I picked up a crossover pipe and alternator bracket.

2. Try your local GM dealer.

3. Call Gbodyparts.

4. Call Postons.

5. Create your own by spending time at your auto parts store. People here can give you the spec's on this part.

6. If the above fails let me know and I can give you the spec's.

Take care- Brad

I went to the "Help" section of the auto store and bought some extra "Y" connectors. Fill the one end with JBWeld up to a quarter inch and after it cured, drilled several of them to different sizes for testing purposes. Carried them with me in the center console.