Yet another PM question

wlaukaitis

3rd Member
Hi folks!!

OK, So I replaced everything on the brakes except the Powermaster. I have replaced all the Lines, front Calipers, wheel cylinders and I put in the new brass proportioning valve. I also have speed bleeders.

I have the classic hard pedal with the key off and with the key on It feels ok until it catches up with itself, then it goes to the floor. When I stand on it (to the floor), I can feel the PM pushing back on my foot.

I have bled many brake systems, but I am sorta new to the PM thing, so I am not sure what the pedal should feel like.

I have done most of the bleeding myself via gravity or SpeedBleed. I managed to secure the pin thing on the pro-valve with a wire tie (I used to work for Verizon so I have a zillion wireties)

The PM sunds like it has air in it, when I go to the floor, I can hear that squishy sound like a packet of ketchup from Micky D's. When I get that sound the PM also sounds different. When I turn the key on, the PM motor does not run for too long, maybe 2 seconds, then it "cycles" click-click-click-click-click not even once a second, seems it never stops doing that

More info:
1986 GN with 87K
Original PM with original accumulator
replaced pro-valve with new Brass one.
Have new accumulator on order.
There is a gray pressure switch in the PM
booster side fluid was never low since I have had the car.

Is there a way to bleed/prime the PM? Or should I just slap the new accumulator on when I get it? Seems most of the posts/diags that I have read point to the accumulator.

Thank you for your help
Bill

Update us when you get the new accumulator on it.

You might want to pull the pressure switch out. I had the recall switch, but the O-ring had dissolved. I bought a new switch, but I think you can get a just the O-ring.

Is it leaking anywhere? Are you sure you've bled all the air out of the system?

HHhhmmm

HI

O-ring huh? Is this a special O-ring? would you have a P/N?

I do remember a squirting sound when I was pushing the pedal. I think most of the air is out, I need a helper but I am going to wait until I get the accumulator.

I fixed all the leaks that I know of, I tried the pedal yesterday morning and it still there so I guess it is not bleeding down.

Thanks for the response....!!!

Bill

Had the same click,click,clickity,clickity... with no brakes at all. Then things would be all is okay then back to the same dangerous routine. Scared the___ out of me. I replaced the pm unit and everything went well and worked perfect. I then swapped the old accum ball to the new unit and no difference. (I just had to know what was wrong with my old unit) Swapped the old switch (the grey okay kind) to the new unit and the clickity,clickitys were back. Conclusion = the new style switch (15 years old) was bad! The pms can be bought remanned from the auto zone Or I was able to ebay one, BRAND NEW for under $500.(do not ebay a remanned unit - trust me!) :) Have a great Holiday! :)

tomorrow

HI

Merry Christmas!

Well, the new ball should be here tomorrow. I was talking to a friend of mine and he thinks he may have a PM unit. He is one of those guys who has everything. I know he has a coil pack becuase I have seen it, he also has a hood and the insulation too. I'll bet has has a few new OEM MAFs too!

I'll change it (the ball) and see what happens, my friend may have the stuff "laying around" to do a vacuum conversion. Or I may get a PM from Autozone.

My other stuff should be coming soon (turbo, rad hoses etc) so that will keep me busy for a while.

Thanks again, I'll keep you updated!

Bill

UPDATE!!!

Hi again!

The new Accumulator came and I put it on. Hooked up the battery, prayed and turned the key.

Guess what happened?!

Nothing!!

no brake light, no motor, nothing. The pedal moves as a brake pedal should but it does not go to the floor at all! I pumped it a few times and could not get the pump to run nor the brake light to come on.

Is this normal?

Thanks again!

Bill

Hey there!!
Just wondering if your brake light still comes on. I have the same problem. Could it be the accumulator?. What did you do to fix this problem??
Thanks so much:D