yet another T56 question

Originally posted by Sleeper
Easy there big fella :)
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Do I sound irate?
It's not like that at all Paul, I do respect you guy's opinion & believe you do have the best intentions.
& your right on a lot of points.
I don't NECESSARILY believe a stick is the best way to on my TR myself either. I have contemplated it, of~course & if I wanted a stick that's what I'd have. That asside, I wouldn't talk someone who REALLY wanted to run a stick like 93 formula here out of doing so. There are ways to make it work, you guys know that & have even mentioned some like twin T3's & pre-spoolers.
I guess I'm just sick of seeing every time someone asks for help running a TB & a stick it turns into an Automatic vs. stick shift thread. I RARELY see anyone getting the help they truly come looking for. This is a hobby of desire! Even IF the stick was slower some ppl just won't be happy with an auto. if that's not what there desire is. So why the heck not try to help them out?
:confused::confused:

Turbo-Rich
Point taken.
I am more than willing to give tech info on the swap and have given info before and so has Lee. If someone is really serious about it, I will help all I can. Most are just fishing.
In the early days Lee and I listed all the parts that we used and what was needed to perform the swap with various trannies. We also gave some cost figures, but then the threads drifted into what was quicker, so we voiced our opinions based upon our first hand experiences. It seemed like no one believed us and they came back with hypothetical theories and examples. Not one came back with first hand results or proof of their theories.
Most of the threads since, are usually just bench racing. So I guess I'm the one who gets a little irate ;) when I hear foolish theories. Athough, out of all these debates have risen some good high buck, high tech solutions for those that are into going that route.

When I first did my swap I did not know any better, that's why I went with the STD tranny. I wish someone had shared their experiences with me before I went out and and spent a lot of $$$ and time and saved me the pain.

Paul :)

okay so now your telling me it is possble with a t56????:confused:

or is it just gonna cost me a fortune to retain it? im thinking of going with a 700r4. possibly with a shift kit , torque coverter etc. whatever a torque converter is.. but thats another post:D

having done so, whats more cost effective? retaining the t56 or going out and finding a 700r4 ? thanks

If you arent mechanically inclined, have some creative fabrication skills and do not have a couple years experience dealing with turbo Buick V6's, then a stick is definitely out of the question IMHO. I have been working on cars for 17 years and have had some experience with the Buicks before I started. Swapping in a Buick V6 is one thing keeping it basically stock, but throwing a stick into the picture makes it down right frustrating and I have all of the above qualifications. It could very well be a project you would never finish OR be very dissatisfied if you. That is my $.02.....call me pessimistic, call me doom and gloom. I just tell it how it is. You spend the money, you do the work, you tell us if you like. I just hate seeing people waste all of the above.

Turbo-Rich
Point taken.
When I first did my swap I did not know any better, that's why I went with the STD tranny. I wish someone had shared their experiences with me before I went out and and spent a lot of $$$ and time and saved me the pain.

Paul :)

You remind me of a kid that told me once "Holley's are junk, Edlebroc's are a lot better because I've had a Holley & it never ran good", LOL.
My point here is that just because YOU can't make a stick run as fast as an auto. doesn't mean someone else couldn't.
You've done ONE swap with ONE type of manual trans. Excuse me If I don't bow down in all your vast superior knowledge of every TB & stick combo. I don't believe I have "theorized" in what I said. Buddy did insist on a manual even tho it was thought auto. was better(even then & especially on stage II TB's). He even insisted on a stick in his 10.14 sec. 4cyl. Pinto. The manual trans. has been a major part of his reciepe for success.
Share your knowledge but try not to make ppl feel stupid for wanting something different. From reading your posts they don't come across like your just trying to help keep someone from making a mistake like you claim. You sound more like a know it all who can't handle someone with different idea's. It's pretty obvious that 93formula wants to keep his stick.
It's too bad you guys are so concerned with telling him how wrong he is for wanting that & how it COULD get soo expensive (A LOT of assumptions have been made here). You all keep telling him how there is all this info. that he will need to learn about TB's before he attempted something like this but it's AWFUL funny no-one is comming forth with any of that information OR even a point in the right direction to to learn what is needed.
Hey, if I were him I wouldn't want to take any advise from ppl who have done a TB/stick combo & are unhappy with it anyway.;)

Well Turbo Rich.....why dont you help him out? We tried to explain why it isnt worth the effort. Paul and I even gave many reasons why I personally wouldnt do it again. I am not being stubborn, just trying to see someone avoid major heartache. So is life :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Turbo-Rich

You remind me of a kid that told me once "Holley's are junk, Edlebroc's are a lot better because I've had a Holley & it never ran good", LOL.
My point here is that just because YOU can't make a stick run as fast as an auto. doesn't mean someone else couldn't.
You've done ONE swap with ONE type of manual trans. Excuse me If I don't bow down in all your vast superior knowledge of every TB & stick combo. I don't believe I have "theorized" in what I said. Buddy did insist on a manual even tho it was thought auto. was better(even then & especially on stage II TB's). He even insisted on a stick in his 10.4 sec. 4cyl. Pinto. The manual trans. has been a major part of his reciepe for success.
Share your knowledge but try not to make ppl feel stupid for wanting something different. From reading your posts they don't come across like your just trying to help keep someone from making a mistake like you claim. You sound more like a know it all who can't handle someone with different idea's. It's pretty obvious that 93formula wants to keep his stick.
It's too bad you guys are so concerned with telling him how wrong he is for wanting that & how it COULD get soo expensive (A LOT of assumptions have been made here). You all keep telling him how there is all this info. that he will need to learn about TB's before he attempted something like this but it's AWFUL funny no-one is comming forth with any of that information OR even a point in the right direction to to learn what is needed.
Hey, if I were him I wouldn't want to take any advise from ppl who have done a TB/stick combo & are unhappy with it anyway.;)

I'm not gonna beat this to death because it has already come to an end. Just a few points.

Do you think I didn't try to make the stick run well? It was quick, especially in a 2800 lb car, but It did not utilize the full potential of the motor. I spent a heck of a long time working on the setup and came to the conclusion that I would have to spend a lot more money on the motor and accessories to make it work as well as the Automatic. I am not new to this, and did not just bolt on a part and complain it isn't as good as another without a lot of testing tweaking and tuning.

Get your facts in order before you make bold statements. If you have read my posts carefully... I have swapped a Saginaw, two different Muncies, and a Borg Warner T5 (not one) behind the 3.8 with a bunch of different rear end gear changes trying to optimize the different gear spreads. So I guess my knowledge is superior to yours.
In this car alone I have done SIX different engine swaps. We wont even get into the other cars that I have owned.

You are going off again on comparing apples and oranges. A Stage II race motor and a 4cyl Pinto ain't the same as a street driven TR setup.

I do not have the power to make anybody feel anything... It is their choice on how they feel.

As far as making ASSumptions about the costs, would you like to see some of my or Lee's parts bills? Or if you don't believe us, price out some parts for yourself. (adapter plates, scatter shields, custom clutches, flywheels, balancing, hydraulic system[ if you choose that route], machining, parts fabrication, etc.

I'm a pretty fair and open minded guy and have no reason to try and misinform anyone. Maybe I push my views a little hard because I have been challenged to back up my talk with first hand facts.

Read all of 93 formulas posts in every section, and you will see that he has been helped out and pointed in the right direction.

We can agree to disagree.
I am here to learn, (because I do not know it all) and to share what I have learned and experienced.

I second Lee's point.. If you are that concerned, why don't you try to help 93formula out, instead of trying to stirr it up with us.

Paul

okay guys, i dont want a war happening here. i thank all sides for there opinions, i have listened to those that say it cant be done and those that say it is possible. ive come to the unfortunate decision of dumping the t56. it would just be cost effective to go with a auto. and thats why i came to this motor or i could just go out and drop another 5 grand into my motor. which ive done enough. again thanks everyone for there opinions. and especially to those who have tried to explain how it could be made to work, but for now the dollars and cents dont make sense so ill just be saving the t56 for future use.

For those mascochists that want to convert their GN engine to a stick....

I am selling some of the stuff I used to install a manual trans behind a Buick V6. The flywheel is already balanced for an 86-87 engine with stock pistons. The bellhousing will allow you to use pretty much any GM or Ford manual trans behind it.
flywheel http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1826933472&r=0&t=0
bellhousing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1826931600&r=0&t=0

I'm not gonna beat this to death because it has already come to an end. Just a few points.

YEAH, THAT'S WHY YOU HAD TO RESPOND, RIGHT,LOL.

Get your facts in order before you make bold statements. If you have read my posts carefully... I have swapped a Saginaw, two different Muncies, and a Borg Warner T5 (not one) behind the 3.8 with a bunch of different rear end gear changes trying to optimize the different gear spreads. So I guess my knowledge is superior to yours.

AGAIN, I MUST BOW DOWN TO YOU "SUPERIOR" knowledge!
WOW, IF I COULD ONLY WASTE AS MUCH WORK & $$$$ AS YOU SOMEDAY, THEN I COULD GO BRAG ABOUT ALL MY WASTEFUL ENDEAVORS & SHOW OFF MY "SUPERIOR knowledge".
Ooooo, WILL YOU SHOW ME HOW?¿?
I SEE 4 DIFF. TRANS. & "a bunch of different rear end gear changes" BUT I DON'T SEE NOTHING ABOUT ANY PRE-SPOOLERS OR BOV'S OR TURBO SIZES ETC. YOU DIDN'T EXHAUST EVERY AREA BY FAR IMO. LOOKS TO ME THAT YOU JUST GAVE UP!
SORRY I DON'T FOLLOW YOUR POSTS CAREFULLY LIKE I SHOULD WITH YOU BEING THE BUICK GOD & ALL SO I CAN "Get my facts in order before you make bold statements"

In this car alone I have done SIX different engine swaps. We wont even get into the other cars that I have owned.

GEE WALLY, I'VE ONLY OWNED A FEW STATION WAGONS & A MOPED IN MY DAY. :rolleyes: DON'T BE SO HARD ON THE BEAVE. LOL.

I'VE ACTUALLY HAD EVERYTHING FROM 6/71 BLOWN SBC'S TO BIG BORE KAWASAKI'S WITH WHEELY BARS BUT I DON'T GO AROUND BRAGGING ABOUT IT TO EVERYONE IN EXPECTATIONS OF GETTING RESPECT.
I GUESS WE LOOK AT THINGS DIFFERENTLY THEN. I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T BE BRAGGING ABOUT ALL THE MISTAKES IVE MADE.
I MEAN FIVE MOTORS BEFORE YOU GOT IT RIGHT, SHEW!
BUT HEY, IF THAT'S WHAT MAKES YOU SUCH A GREAT MECH. THEN GOOD FOR YOU!

You are going off again on comparing apples and oranges. A Stage II race motor and a 4cyl Pinto ain't the same as a street driven TR setup.

NO, WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO IS OPEN PPL'S MINDS A LITTLE BIT & HOPEFULLY GET TO SEE SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE NORM. BORING RECIEPE"S FOLLOWED. SURE THEY ARE TRIED & TRUE BUT DONE TO DEATH. I KNOW THERE ARE "COMBO'S" THAT WORK GREAT TOGETHER BUT EVERYTIME SOMEONE WANTS TO DO SOMETHING OUTSIDE THE NORM. IT GETS VERY DISCOURAGED IN THIS CLUB. GIVING SOMEONE A WARNING IS ONE THING. iT ONLY TAKES ONE POST TO WARN SOMEONE OF POSSIBLE COSTS/PROBLEMS. YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BEING RIGHT~eh.

As far as making ASSumptions about the costs, would you like to see some of my or Lee's parts bills? Or if you don't believe us, price out some parts for yourself. (adapter plates, scatter shields, custom clutches, flywheels, balancing, hydraulic system[ if you choose that route], machining, parts fabrication, etc.

OH, I FULLY BELIEVE THAT YOU WOULD BE THE KINDA GUY TO *BUY* HIS PERFORMANCE. NO ARGUEMENT THERE!
BTW, I CAN SAY ÄSS TOO.

I'm a pretty fair and open minded guy and have no reason to try and misinform anyone. Maybe I push my views a little hard because I have been challenged to back up my talk with first hand facts.

Read all of 93 formulas posts in every section, and you will see that he has been helped out and pointed in the right direction.

YES HE BOWED DOWN IN YOUR VAST KNOWLEDGE OF ALL THINGS TB.

We can agree to disagree.
I am here to learn, (because I do not know it all) and to share what I have learned and experienced.

I second Lee's point.. If you are that concerned, why don't you try to help 93formula out, instead of trying to stirr it up with us.

Paul
I'm not trying to "stir things up" with "us" (who is "us" anyway, you have a mouse in your pocket?)
I'm just sick of seeing sticks continually bashed (as I said before). Excuse me if I give off an "attude" but I assure you I gave no more than I have recieved, anyone reading the thread can see that for themselves.

Well Rich, buy my set up and you can proove everyone wrong.
The Scattershield and the flywheel are ready to go and are new.
Give me $375 for the pair plus shipping and you are on your way to showing everyone :D

Originally posted by 93formula
ill go for the GN motor thats gonna be emmisions legal

A 3.8 turbo motor is only emissions legal for 1989 and older vehicles.

What I have to say on this thread is... "what if I don't care about off-the line & 1/4 mile, I just want big silly power in a road race environment? What if the importance of rowing my own for a road course took precence over a 3 tenths diff. in the 1/4?"

Do a single turbo LT1 and have your fun. Being that a blown LT1 can hit the 11's, a turbo LT1 oughtta rock.

Matthew

Originally posted by jmd

What I have to say on this thread is... "what if I don't care about off-the line & 1/4 mile, I just want big silly power in a road race environment? What if the importance of rowing my own for a road course took precence over a 3 tenths diff. in the 1/4?"

A stock block 3.8L will still suck. It doesn't rev. If you do rev it you risk snapping the crank. Where's the fun in that? When most modern V8's will rev to 6500, what fun is a motor you have to shift at 5200? (and the HP peak is down around 4600)

A stage II motor would be way fun on a road course because you can rev it without the fear of driving over the crank. This is why MANY successful road racing cars have used Buick V6 engines. They OWNED indy car in the 80's and lots of 24 hour sports prototypes and trans am cars used stage II's. But now you are talking big dinero.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Well Rich, buy my set up and you can proove everyone wrong.
The Scattershield and the flywheel are ready to go and are new.
Give me $375 for the pair plus shipping and you are on your way to showing everyone :D

When did I say that I wanted to run a stick personally:confused:
Not that I'm against it (obviously!) but
I'll prob. end up with a good 'ole TH400 when my 200 4R goes(& we all know it will, eventually). 200 4R's can be made into a great tranny's but not worth the cost to do so IMO.

& why do you think I give a damn about proving "everyone" wrong? I take it that your assuming "everyone" here thinks like you do? Well, sorry to bust your bubble but not "everyone" feels the same way you do. Most just don't want to bother arguing about it with ppl. who are set on who is right & who is wrong instead of actually trying to help anyone out.
I know not "everyone" feels this way because I came across this thread from an e-mail link that another TB.com member sent to me.
Your still missing my point here I guess.

The Lenco was the preferred trans back when Buddy ran his car in the mid 80's. Now it is the Liberty 5 speed like they run in Pro Stock, but again........we arent going to lauch a street car at 7,000 rpms at every light.
?¿?With a stick you can leave the line at WHATEVER rpm you desire, unlike automatics where you are relying on hydrolic presure.
Yes, the Lenco was back then what the Liberties are totay but that's besides the point. Even though the stage II's can rev. 7,000 rpm what you have to realize about Buddy's situation was that his car was a fact. sponsored ride & he had to go against the Buick engineers hard pushed "theories" about how he HAD to run an automatic. As I said before he did try to run an auto. (2 spd. I believe) for a whole season before switching to the Lenco against the wishes of his sponser & thier team of overpaid engineers.
If he hadn't switched I seriously doubt there ever would have been any low 7 sec. passes.
I know there are TONS of FAST TB's useing auto's but remember that the FASTEST TURBOBUICK was a stick car!:D

Rich, I still invite you to proove us all wrong. Do a standard build up on a single turbo 3.8 and a stick of some sort. It must be a legitimate street car that runs 10 or 11's
I would love to see it. Proove that it is practical and faster than an automatic.

Rich, I still invite you to proove us all wrong. Do a standard build up on a single turbo 3.8 and a stick of some sort. It must be a legitimate street car that runs 10 or 11's
I would love to see it. Proove that it is practical and faster than an automatic.

:eek: I feel so called out:eek: :rolleyes:

OMG
What do I do:confused:

LOL:cool:
This is getting pretty funny:D
As If it isn't challenging enough I gotta build an 11 sec. carb/turbo car,
now I hafta build it w/a stick?
& on top of of that GNVAIR is trying to put a "single turbo" rule on top of me like he's NHRA or NMCA or somthin'!?
AS IF I would bother ripping out my perfectly ok auto & spend the $$$ for a manual & everything to convert it JUST to prove you & Paul wrong! Your hilarious man!:D Get a grip, learn some SARCASM, let some air outta that big TB head of yours or somethin'? As I CLEARLY stated B4 (that you have chosen to ignore like so much of the other stuff I have said.) is that I don't "give a damn about proving 'everyone' wrong". Let alone someone I don't even know or for that matter care to:rolleyes: :confused:
Now THAT being CLEARLY stated AGAIN,
if I decide to ever do a carb/turbo 3.8 swap into something else (that I might have laying around here somewhere:confused: )
I would consider using a stick. But NOT because someone DARED me to. Dher

Whatever dude!

Rich,
I have no idea why you even bother to even come on this board as you seem to know everything. I have seen your posts in other forums and you are constantly challenging everyone including myself.
My challenge/dare was made because it had become blatantly obvious that you don’t have a clue about these cars or about converting them to stick shifts.
I have said it before, as did Paul and a few others that it doesn’t work. I am not going to sit here and brag about my automotive expertise or experience or knowledge or what certifications I have. But, I will tell you that Paul and I have done this swap before and it has abosolutely no performance gain. There are a lot of Buick guys that have money and would probably do this swap if there was a performance gain, even if it took some effort. Paul and I were telling you that there is no performance gain, but you are too pig headed to comprehend that. I am done with this subject with you. My bottom line still stands, if you think you know more than do it, until then, go play with you 15 second carbed cars or crawl back under your rock. Remember, you are the expert after all :rolleyes:
I find it humerous that I should be the one to let some air out of my head and yet you continually come back for more. Am I getting under your skin? It is pretty obvious I am. No hard feelings dude. Do what you want.
But, I am sure sure you will come back with a retort that you think is intelligent. :D