You know what grinds my gears

Spoolin Hooligan

Off the wagon Boost Addict
These damn chain auto parts stores. i dont know how anyone else feels. They can be a savior or a f-ing nightmare. I will be the first to let you know I am not near he level a mechanic as many of you who read this are. But I know just enough to get by. So when I walk into a parts store i expect people who are more knowledgable than me working there. Not some freaking teenager who uses this job so he can buy some booze for him and his underage buddies. Now this isnt true for every store and i understand teenagers need jobs but come on. And another thing when i call and ask for radiator hose or any other part and drive up there to get it. It better be there, especially if I just called yesterday and you say you have them in stock. Im sorry i had to have a man vent. Becuase i was supposed to race this weekned i was told parts would be in stock and they werent. I understand my fault for putting it off, Im gonna stick to the vendors on here

What is worse...

You get the part, it doesnt look quite right to you...and your fear is justified, after they have closed, you have your vehicle torn apart, and the part turns out to be wrong...

I have had the same thing happen to me on multiple occasions. I also hate the.. "What make/model/year"? When you give them a part number.. Uhm hello... Just look up the P# on the damn computer..

look at it in another way.. another week you can drive your car . You had best have some idea on racing your car or it isn't goin to be pretty :cool:

look at it in another way.. another week you can drive your car . You had best have some idea on racing your car or it isn't goin to be pretty :cool:
i never raced but i was thinking, maybe its a good thing. I'd rather look like an idiot at my local track than go down to Buick vs ford day and embarass myself in front of a bunch of my Turbo Buick peers

As a former parts guy myself, I've seen the opposite end of the spectrum. It's true that many parts kids are useless. And they usually can't tell the difference between an alternator and a bumper, but a lot of the time when a customer comes in the door asking for a part number that they found on the Internet it really isn't the right part anyway. I would always cross reference a part number. Just to be sure. If you don't want customer service, buy online. Not to say that every customer is wrong, or an idiot, but you have to be prepared for that one that is!

As both a tech and a former parts guy I can give it on both ends. The corperate management of these chains believe that a computer programer can put the parts in right so that a monkey can look them up, hence the reason for the monkeys behind the counter.:eek: I had a friend that worked at Cheif auto when they were bought out by autozone and he was fired just a few weeks after it happened. The DM actually told him with the computer system that was going in there was no need for a parts pro since the computer was smarter than he was.:rolleyes:

Most chains don't care whether or not you can work on a car or even know that there really is something called "exhaust fluid" for a diesel truck (it does exist btw), they just care whether or not you can get a customer to buy what they want to sell. As an example, look what the spin doctors put in the White House.:D

I kind of want a job at AZ.. They don't seem to want to hire me though..

If you're under 18 they won't Zack. You also have to go through their "profiling" BS to see if you're a good "employee".:rolleyes:

Ahh BS. I turn 18 this September.. Maybe its the fact that I have 4 felonies pending..... Hmmmm

Ahh BS. I turn 18 this September.. Maybe its the fact that I have 4 felonies pending..... Hmmmm
Um...4 felonies? At 17 you should be able to get off without an issue Zack, unless you did something really stupid that is. They won't hire before 18 because of the chemicals in the store. If a minor gets hurt because of battery acid or other chemicals then they're responsible, and most corps don't want that responsibility.:(

Um...4 felonies? At 17 you should be able to get off without an issue Zack, unless you did something really stupid that is. They won't hire before 18 because of the chemicals in the store. If a minor gets hurt because of battery acid or other chemicals then they're responsible, and most corps don't want that responsibility.:(

Eh, little humor there.. Its only two felonies.. Jeeze :rolleyes:. Nah I am a good kid. No issues except being pulled over a couple times.. No tickets (knocking on wood as I type).

Eh, little humor there.. Its only two felonies.. Jeeze :rolleyes:. Nah I am a good kid. No issues except being pulled over a couple times.. No tickets (knocking on wood as I type).
Well that's a new one. Quite "knocking your wood" when you type or you'll be cleaning up a big mess later.:eek:

i agree with you, but the worst part of those stores are , let me give a background . i was a mechanic for 15 years all at various dealerships. i learned by handing my father tools when i was young. when i go into these chain stores looking for parts, they talk to you like you have know idea what your talking about and that part cant possible be the one you want or the right for your application. aaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh!

that's why you always- always- talk to the oldest guy in the building- the guy with grease under his fingernails that just carries himself like a guy who knows what he's talking about. he will generally be about 40 years old, have a mustache, and have a bunch of pens in his shirt pocket. most places have at least one of these guys, and if they don't go to the place across town that does.

also, avoid the chains whenever possible and go with a locally owned store where the owner and/or his wife are probably working the counter and- these places will usually be a little "grittier" than the chain stores.. NAPA and Carquest are the exceptions to this rule in this area. they are usually good.