9's with stock heads

Yes our cam is an ATR grind. We went from a 210/205 and it was quite a bit more agressive. And John, when you say ALOT of boost, how much we talkin about??

Boost

I know that Ryan Guy has run at least 35psi.
A ported set of aluminum heads could make the
power with 5 to 7 less psi.

"It looks like they were went at least 10.03"

The car that is referenced on Harpers page, was orlando's car from miami, and he was running roughly 40 psi on that 10.03 pass, thats a lot of boost :eek: The car did in fact have factor iron heads (ported and polished offcourse) and lets just say he launches that car like he hates it.

It was impressive in person though.:D

Shoebox

I have seen that kind of boost coming out of Ken Duttweiler's
personal motor's =)!!!

On a 4 bolt head I would be scared of lifting the head even with out detonation!!!

Red is the man. He has been running a stage 2 block for a while though.

Several people have gone faster on stock stuff.

Red also has a Buick Motorsports crank......you can count on one hand the stock blocks that have gone 9's, let alone with steel heads...that is usually too much hp for the block unless you have a very light car like Geno (think he said 3100 when he ran the 9) and he ended up breaking things

I think 9's on a stock block is a death wish for your motor (assuming a "normal" weight car)........stock blocks (& cranks) die at right around 750 hp.....with a girdle & steel crank, ya might keep it together a bit longer

1. Bill from Champion / Champion Aluminum
2. Ryan Guy / Mild Ported Stock
3. David Bamford / Champion Aluminum or M&A.. not sure!
4. Gene Fluery / Champion Aluminum

Who else is there???

Dave Poppe ???

right...think he said race weight w/driver was 3300+, so he was making some hp....700+ for sure

Our race weight was 3550, but we took off a little over 200lbs, so it'll be somewhere around 3350. Also, I know it isnt too accurate, but one of those HP calculators said we were making about 704 on the flywheel when we went 126mph at 3600lbs. With the new combo I'm sure we're making about 50-60 more HP than before

I hope you get there before something breaks......keep shedding weight is the best way....good luck:)

"Sounds like fun.......but isnt 40psi a little extreme??"

If you talk to Orlando in person, you would understand that he does everything to the extreme when it comes to that car. He is a very cool and knowledgable guy though. :D

"On a 4 bolt head I would be scared of lifting the head even with out detonation."

The heads were re-studded almost everytime after a track visit, which would usually net three-four passes. And for sh(its and giggles he turned up the boost to 50(this is rumor, however the source was reliable, but not from orlando's mouth) and from what i was told the car did not really go much faster, guess the turbo was not efficient at that boost level.

Shoebox

When I say RA, I'm talking about "Jane's car", the grey Limited. It has a Stage 1 motor and Champion ported irons. We know from the September/October 2001 GSX-TRA he's gone 10.25 and is hoping for 10 flat.

As azgn pointed out in so many words, "any resemblance to a stock block is purely coincidental".

The thing I like about RA is he gives you his build-up. Implying that if you had Red's money, you could go just as fast. Unfortunately, RA has more money than the Catholic Church.

:D

Originally posted by azgn
I hope you get there before something breaks......keep shedding weight is the best way....good luck:)

Something will probably break, but lets just hope we get there before it happens:D :D

Originally posted by c&cgn

No, Geno went 9.90's @ 136 with ported GN1's.

My heads are just a mild home port only to match the felpro gaskets:) and stock intake

Gene how much did your car weight??? And also will 30psi get the job done or will it take more?? Also what kind of fuel systems were all of these guys using when they hit the 9's?

Ive got a Areomotive pump and a -8 fuel line and a sumped tank.
My best 1.36 60ft would have starved for fuel without a sump.My car wieghs a little over 3450 with me in it.With iron heads you will need to have a little over 35 lbs boost i would guess. I know Ryan was around that...

Geno, what was the highest amount of boost you've ever made a full pass with safely?? Also Terry needed 35psi, but from what I've heard our car is about 300lbs lighter than his. I dont think we'll need quite 35 to run the same numbers. But 30psi at the least I think