9's with stock heads

Ok 9.4,s with a stage block and high 9,s with a 109 block , i knew i missed something:) Thats flying all right on those parts:eek:

For the head gasket reference, we use double stacked 85' Gaskets sealed with some bad-a$$ industrial silicone, has held up to 29psi before and will hold up beyond. At that point of performance, head gaskets are least of the worries:D

Headgaskets.

Dave seems to have the copper head gaskets working for him.
I've never used copper headgaskets before but i'm willing to give them a try! He has not bought new gaskets for quite some time! He said you just re-use them again and again. ~Scott:p

Well you really dont wanna HAVE to change your gaskets very much, so reusable gaskets dont really concern me. Plus, the steel shim gaskets are so cheap, my dad doesnt mind changing them if need be. But copper gaskets are good if thats your kinda thing.;)

Originally posted by John Wilde
David is from michagan. I think he has aluminum heads though.
The stock block car made a lot of hp when it was dynoed.
I will let David say how much if he wants. Dan White has tuned the car on a chassis dyno.

I am using a 224/224 cam with alum champion heads, stock block, crank and rods. The rear wheel hp was 615 @ 32 pounds of boost. The car weighs 3650 it ran 9.90 @ 136. The motor has been in the car for 3 seasons and still running strong.

A new stock block motor is on the way for the tsm class, Dan Strezo at PTE is putting this one together. We should be able to better our et with a 3500 lb car.

Dave Bamford
9.90 stock block
"full weight car"

Originally posted by top gun

I am using a 224/224 cam with alum champion heads, stock block, crank and rods. The rear wheel hp was 615 @ 32 pounds of boost. The car weighs 3650 it ran 9.90 @ 136. The motor has been in the car for 3 seasons and still running strong.

A new stock block motor is on the way for the tsm class, Dan Strezo at PTE is putting this one together. We should be able to better our et with a 3500 lb car.

Dave Bamford
9.90 stock block
"full weight car"

WOW
Thats the same ET and MPH as my best:)
With a full weight car:eek:
That makes my car look like the pig it is ;)

Precision

Good luck with your build up with Dan at precision:rolleyes:

That's a awsome time with stock block/full weight car ect.. Great setup Congrats! ~Scott

Wow Dave, nice times. I'm sure we'd need a little more than 32psi, but lets just hope we dont need 40:D

Hey Dave, my dad gave me a car craft magazine the other day and there were you doing a holeshot. Cool pic, if the time to beat is in the 9's for the tsm class you will be hard to beat, UNLESS geno doesn't sell some stage stuff and puts his motor back in and decides to make the long trip . Good luck. come on geno make the trip:D

Its just to far for me:( It cost me $1000.00 just to go to Vegas and thats only 1200 miles. Id think about it if i didnt just loose my job. Besides i think Dave would make me look like a fool:D I might go to see how many different kinds of failures 109 blocks can have:eek: I know of at least 1 LOL Its hard for a guy to compete with Dan and all his knolege and unlimited resorce,s anyways.He is the man and im just a guy in a 2 car garage with no money thats runs 30+ boost;)

If ya want to call it that... Its more like a storage room for 2 dead cars;)

Originally posted by VictoryTrans
Dave, what was the rest of your combo......turbo, fuel system, etc?

Ok, Here is the top secret combo.
stock block, crank, rods
je .20 over pistons
224/224 roller comp cam
rjc girdle
bgc intake
70 mm tb
76 q turbo
houston downpipe
atr headers w/2 1/2 exhaust
atr double intank fuel pump
precision intercooler
ported champion heads
sequential speed pro
83 lb injectors
th 400 trans w/ 8 inch coan converter

Dave Bamford

Just add 30+ LBS boost and a fuel cocktail or VP air race gas:)

OK...

Now I've seen Geno's garage and he's right. Two dead cars! :D But there's a lot of ingenuity there and I want to see the green thing at BG this year...you hear me Geno? I'll buy you a better burger than those ****'s burgers. :)

I will be lucky to even get the green slug going by summer at this rate:D

Dave, have you ever had any problems with a lean condition with that fuel pump?? We have that same pump and heard from a couple of people that it might fall a little short at these power levels.

Tony,
Good luck on your quest for the 9's!

My car was going about the same as yours (10.71@125) with stock ported heads, and I considered the road you are taking a lot. It sounded too much like a maintenence/rebuild nightmare from the others that went there. A lot of people said to just go Stg II if you want more than mid/upper 10's. Makes sense, but it sure is cool pushing those stock pieces past their limits :D

Here is some hopefully helpful input on your combo:

Going 9's will be very dependent upon your 60 ft times. Gain a tenth there, and it will equate to almost 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile. I noticed you have a 1.47 with a 4000 stall T-brake. That should be more like a 1.37 going in the 9's. I had a 1.40 best with my suspension setup, with the foot brake :) Might want to look at stuff back there, not just the motor...

Might have to look at slick size & gear change to get 7 tenths off your time.

9's will also take some extra rpm out of the motor, that's where a bigger roller cam would help out. Yours is a bit small for your goal, and might be a restricting factor. You can always turn up the boost :)

If you don't have a girdle on the bottom end, I would get one fast before it's too late. I wouldn't attempt it without it.

One of Terry Houston's 3-1/2" DP's would also help. I had a 4" home-made DP, and it helps :)

As for gaskets, I had great luck with O-ringing the heads and using the stock gaskets W/ studs. Went a whole season at 30 psi. I had 28* timing too, but that is different on every car. I would start with 24-26 degrees for 30+++ psi & see how it likes it. It should go faster with less timing & more boost.

Ignore the boost! Push it as hard as you can without knock. If you reach a limit, lower the timing & push it farther :) When the parts hit the pavement, you went too far :D