Gt47-88 Vs Gt42-76r

Status
Not open for further replies.
EightSecV6 said:
I would surely like to see it but I think it may be a tall order especially with the weight penalty for using it. I know BG has different rules but if the stock block weight break is applied combined with the weight break for a 42-76 at other races, you may see an interesting combo next year :biggrin:

I'm working on it Bill. It appears that some are "SCARED" of a little 109 block with the bad a$$ 42/76 on it. Heaven forbid a 109 runs a 8 second pass at a event. :rolleyes:

3150# 109 block with a 76 T4. Lets go guys. It's just a race and it is about going fast not slow right?

I wasn't going to get involved but I think we are all jumping the gun here. Lots of people are suggesting which turbo to go with without knowing anything about the combination. People suggesting changing parts and all without having any idea what you have already done with the combination you have. If the combo is real mild you could put a 106mm turbo on it and it's not going to run the desired number. If I missed the posting of your combo I apologize.

What numbers have you run already with your current combination? What 60' times, 1/8-mile incremental and 1/4-mile ET's and speed? What compression ratio and cam profile do you have, solid roller or hydraulic? Are you running open exhaust or capped up, what size? What DP are you using? Are your heads GN-1 R’s or just GN-1’s? How old are they (I think they may have changed designs but I’m not sure). Are they ported or out of the box? Assume a stock intake manifold?

3600 lb base weight, that's the heaviest car I've ever heard about. Do you still have the spare tire in the car or something, tool box maybe? T-Top car I assume? If so you’re probably going to experience a lot of flex on launch, which isn’t going to make it any easier. I thought my car was heavy before all the lightening up. I was 3675 with a 200 lb driver. Damn, 3800 lbs is a lot of weight to be pushing through the traps at 150. From my personal experience, pushing that weight breaks a lot of things. Sometimes the motor, sometimes everything else. In my case the transmission and converter a bunch of times, suspension, you name it.

My opinion here is to possibly look at lightening up the car some in addition to other changes. You'll save parts and make it easier to do what you want with less combination. It's simple physics. Pushing a 3800lb car to 150MPH is probably uncharted waters for most (me included). I really think you are going to have a rough ride parts breakage wise if you try and run a 9.0 with a 3800 lb car.

Art.

I wanted to ask Cal at Cecil for a t-shirt. I figured he might not want me with one or he traveled up from Florida light.

1FASTV6 said:
I wanted to ask Cal at Cecil for a t-shirt. I figured he might not want me with one or he traveled up from Florida light.
I don't thin Cal was giving away any T-Shirts at Cecil. I think he was using them all as layers. I don't think I've ever seen another man look so cold! :biggrin:

Cal, you should have come down for Shakedown at E-Town, you would have been an ice-cube! Even I had to wear a wool hat.

Art.

TurboDiverArt said:
I wasn't going to get involved but I think we are all jumping the gun here. Lots of people are suggesting which turbo to go with without knowing anything about the combination. People suggesting changing parts and all without having any idea what you have already done with the combination you have. If the combo is real mild you could put a 106mm turbo on it and it's not going to run the desired number. If I missed the posting of your combo I apologize.

What numbers have you run already with your current combination? What 60' times, 1/8-mile incremental and 1/4-mile ET's and speed? What compression ratio and cam profile do you have, solid roller or hydraulic? Are you running open exhaust or capped up, what size? What DP are you using? Are your heads GN-1 R’s or just GN-1’s? How old are they (I think they may have changed designs but I’m not sure). Are they ported or out of the box? Assume a stock intake manifold?

3600 lb base weight, that's the heaviest car I've ever heard about. Do you still have the spare tire in the car or something, tool box maybe? T-Top car I assume? If so you’re probably going to experience a lot of flex on launch, which isn’t going to make it any easier. I thought my car was heavy before all the lightening up. I was 3675 with a 200 lb driver. Damn, 3800 lbs is a lot of weight to be pushing through the traps at 150. From my personal experience, pushing that weight breaks a lot of things. Sometimes the motor, sometimes everything else. In my case the transmission and converter a bunch of times, suspension, you name it.

My opinion here is to possibly look at lightening up the car some in addition to other changes. You'll save parts and make it easier to do what you want with less combination. It's simple physics. Pushing a 3800lb car to 150MPH is probably uncharted waters for most (me included). I really think you are going to have a rough ride parts breakage wise if you try and run a 9.0 with a 3800 lb car.

Art.

Well put Art, maybe this thread can be put into it's proper perspective instead of a "personal agenda" for a few that constantly muddy up threads with inuendos and attacks. All under the quiese of being "informative", yet knocking one vendor and pushing another...... I, for one am quite tired of these tactics to push one's products by knocking anothers. When a racer like Steve Sullivan questions these type of off-topics posts he is immediately attacked. Steve has been a Buick enthusiast and racer for years, working on his budget and at his pace and discression to achieve his goals. They are simple and basic, pretty much in line with the masses of other Buick enthusiasts. I have worked with Steve for years, years in which goals were met and regular racing has been achieved. Like me and my many customers, we race and enjoy our time at the track and other events just having a good time enjoying our cars and friendships. It's just a shame to see what has happened these last couple of years where lines are drawn and if you cross it, you become marked...... Steve has won 1 and finished 2nd in 3 TSM races this year. He has also put the current TSM points leader on the trailer twice this year..... not bad in my opinion.... but we aren't out here bragging about these accomplishments, nor are we out here thumping our chests or trying to direct others away from one vendor to another by negative posts that are unfounded or true. Telling stories and making up fantasy is not becoming for any of us. Several TSM racers have recently run their first 9 second passes, funny they were still using our older version front mount IC..... this hurting motors because of an IC is another ridiculous statement from a ridiculous source, who hasn't raced in a year after hurting his own motor with someone elses IC....

This thread was about a turbo choice, not an IC, but as we have once again witnessed, the attention was taken back to the IC, with no indication of what it is, only the name associated with it....... shame on you Ted. You want to talk about truth, you should try it some time. I bent over backwards for over a year with you, did everything to help you achieve your goals, even gave you the turbo, IC, headers and TC off my car that I ran 8.90's with for over a year. I'm sorry you were not able to achieve the same results as me, next time I will sell you the whole car....... since then, 2 motors and a complete new car, God knows how much money and you go 2\10ths faster, what an achievement, and a sidekick, Dave, who hasn't raced for a year to tag team me and whoever associates with me........ thats quite an accomplishment Ted. Of all the friends of yours that hurt motors the last year, udgraded IC's to what you and yours have recommended, maybe we should make a list of that..... but then this thread isn't about that.
Have a sparkling day, it's Sunday and I have my sweetheart to spend the day with........ maybe you all should do the same.

TurboDiverArt said:
I don't thin Cal was giving away any T-Shirts at Cecil. I think he was using them all as layers. I don't think I've ever seen another man look so cold! :biggrin:

Cal, you should have come down for Shakedown at E-Town, you would have been an ice-cube! Even I had to wear a wool hat.

Art.
He wouldn't have been cold,We were given Richard Napps booth for the day:)

JCotton said:
this hurting motors because of an IC is another ridiculous statement from a ridiculous source, who hasn't raced in a year after hurting his own motor with someone elses IC....
Im not sure if this was pointed at me or not,But to clear the air if so,It was your original Intercooler on my car at Salem last year when my crank broke.
But for the record i never blamed my breakage on an intercooler,Just my own stupidity after seeing a wobbling balancer and continuing to run the car.
But thats Racing!

Well it looks like you guys have broke me in right!

This is a very tough post but it is TIME!

I have heard about the I/C crap for too long! It has been a massive war on all three boards and nothing good has came out of it but a bunch of hard feelings.

I tell you what I will do, I will give you guys a private forum on either board to have this dispute out between you. I have many members on both boards complaining about this on going argument. WE ALL KNOW HOW EVERYBODY FEELS. THE LINES ARE PLAINLY DRAWN AND SIDES PICKED! There is no need of turning every I/C thread into a "better not have a Jack" we have all got the point! A 10sec search will fill in anybody new that is curious. Same thing with bringing other vendors into the thread.

With that being said. I was the "new guy" looking in 3 years ago. I watched this board for a year before I ever even joined. It is stuff like this that keeps people from joining or posting for fear of what might happen. You guys are "the" racers and alot of us LOOK UP to you guys. Everyone wants to go fast like you guys. Lets face it, the faster you are the more "props" you get. This situation is no good for either side and needs to stop, probably driving business from all vendors truth be told. If you guys want to continue this where people don't see it in their normal veiwing of the board fine, let me know. I agree all members have the right to know the truth and be fully imformed on products that vendors sale. But it is time to let this dog die!

This thread was headed into a big Cal vs. Jack followers bash. Think about it guys, that would NOT be good for either camp. I am not saying "lets all get along." This is real life and people disagree, I have no delusions of PERFECT TR LAND :rolleyes: Doesn't matter to me whom likes whom honestly.

I am not trying to protect vendors I am trying to protect the other members that are just plain tired of this thing.

So, I am asking PLEASE LET THIS DIE NOW! No more threads tainted by this pissing match. PM me if you would like to discuss this. I had a VERY valued member of this board and community, actually a nuetral party, brought this thread to my attention. This stuff only hurts the board and the community.

I am not closing or locking the thread. I hope you guys understand this and lets all be gentlemen!

Thanks,

Shane

Cal will be tuning a stage 2 headed car at Orlando with a GT47 @ 3400lbs unless he can guilt trip Carl into giving us a weight break.
Just to qualify will be a be a win for the team.
A GT55 will probably go on next year.

John did he get the car to the track yesterday? I know he was trying but i never got a call

KLHAMMETT said:
John did he get the car to the track yesterday? I know he was trying but i never got a call

Otto,

They are still finishing up some minor details.
The Glide went in last night, with the new shifter, spill plate and other details.
The new drive shaft was picked up this morning and installed.
Leo put in the new front springs, ds sensor and scaled the car.
You may want to give him a call he has some questions about the trans break wiring and global parameters.

Shane, I wish you good luck with the board and with the situation at hand. I hate to say it that it's not going to stop. The previous owner of T6P Elvis on the other board attempted to band members. That didn't work.

It stopped on TBS.com because the membership didn't allow it.
It stopped on TB.com because the old administration didn't stand for it. They locked the threads.
It didn't stop on T6P.com under the old adminstration because he was friends with the members involved.

Good luck again Shane.

I am going to see how fast I can go with GT-4276R turbo. My car is going to be full weight with AC etc. I am going to stick with the 200 as well.

1FASTV6 said:
Artie, were you the one with the very nice GN having trans brake issues for the first time? It is so hard to put faces in person to internet screen names :). I was the guy who joked that 90% of the time people seemed to love their trans brakes and 10% of the time they hated them.

As Art pointed out, losing weight would help a bunch. The calculator says it takes 1000 avg rear wheel hp to run 9.0 at 3700 lbs total and 1081 at 4000 lbs (3800 lb car and 200 lb driver). Almost 10% more hp to carry 300 extra lbs.

JCotton said:
This thread was about a turbo choice, not an IC, but as we have once again witnessed, the attention was taken back to the IC, with no indication of what it is, only the name associated with it....... shame on you Ted. You want to talk about truth, you should try it some time. I bent over backwards for over a year with you, did everything to help you achieve your goals, even gave you the turbo, IC, headers and TC off my car that I ran 8.90's with for over a year. I'm sorry you were not able to achieve the same results as me, next time I will sell you the whole car....... since then, 2 motors and a complete new car, God knows how much money and you go 2\10ths faster, what an achievement, and a sidekick, Dave, who hasn't raced for a year to tag team me and whoever associates with me........ thats quite an accomplishment Ted. Of all the friends of yours that hurt motors the last year, udgraded IC's to what you and yours have recommended, maybe we should make a list of that..... but then this thread isn't about that.
Have a sparkling day, it's Sunday and I have my sweetheart to spend the day with........ maybe you all should do the same.

Hey Jack, lets get this straight. I advised the guy to change intercoolers and sent him to the man I thought was best for the job. I NEVER took a shot at your or your I/C by name or you personally, and boy oh boy(In your eyes) why didn't I if this was really about bashing you? :rolleyes: I pointed out the temps would get hot on a 3600#+ S2 car trying to push it in the 9.0x range and IS IT TRUE OR NOT?

YOU CHARGED ME and SOLD me the turbo and headers off your car, that is not GAVE me them.

The TC was a new one from ATI, not off your car.

The new car has NOTHING to do with 2 tenths here or there, who cares about the $$ I spent to build it? I don't know what you spent on yours, spent to fix it, how many times you had problems. Not my business.

I was attacked by Sully and called out that I provide false test results and I am still awaiting a answer to that question.

What relevence does Dave not racing his car this year have to do with the price of milk at the market? It's his car, his money, his time. He is a big boy and will bring the car out when he wants to.

Yes, we did a lot of business in the past. Yes you worked hard to do the best you could for me, no doubt.

You wish to continue to paint a picture of a WAY more complicated picture that it really is. Fighting about this on the net is not going to get anything resolved between us.

Anytime you want to call me at the shop, you have my ##.

Ted A. said:
I was attacked by Sully and called out that I provide false test results and I am still awaiting a answer to that question.

I didn't attack you. I said it was funny that you thought Jack may give an IC to the two (not just you) biggest sources of mis-information. Never said anything about fake test results. You can look at every one of Dave's posts in this thread alone for all the examples and answers you are looking for.

Ted A. said:
I advised the guy to change intercoolers and sent him to the man I thought was best for the job.

He asked for opinions on Turbos not Intercoolers.

V6 Beast said:
I didn't attack you. I said it was funny that you thought Jack may give an IC to the two (not just you) biggest sources of mis-information. Never said anything about fake test results. You can look at every one of Dave's posts in this thread alone for all the examples and answers you are looking for.

He asked for opinions on Turbos not Intercoolers.

Then clarify where I have provided mis-information (which could also be fake test information too). I am very interested to see the results.

I have no problem if you think it was funny, but I was serious in the offer to him to run some ##'s.

He also was looking for help to get in the E.T. range he is hoping for. That means other aspects also.

JCotton said:
Well put Art, maybe this thread can be put into it's proper perspective instead of a "personal agenda" for a few that constantly muddy up threads with inuendos and attacks. All under the quiese of being "informative", yet knocking one vendor and pushing another...... I, for one am quite tired of these tactics to push one's products by knocking anothers. When a racer like Steve Sullivan questions these type of off-topics posts he is immediately attacked. Steve has been a Buick enthusiast and racer for years, working on his budget and at his pace and discression to achieve his goals. They are simple and basic, pretty much in line with the masses of other Buick enthusiasts. I have worked with Steve for years, years in which goals were met and regular racing has been achieved. Like me and my many customers, we race and enjoy our time at the track and other events just having a good time enjoying our cars and friendships. It's just a shame to see what has happened these last couple of years where lines are drawn and if you cross it, you become marked...... Steve has won 1 and finished 2nd in 3 TSM races this year. He has also put the current TSM points leader on the trailer twice this year..... not bad in my opinion.... but we aren't out here bragging about these accomplishments, nor are we out here thumping our chests or trying to direct others away from one vendor to another by negative posts that are unfounded or true. Telling stories and making up fantasy is not becoming for any of us. Several TSM racers have recently run their first 9 second passes, funny they were still using our older version front mount IC..... this hurting motors because of an IC is another ridiculous statement from a ridiculous source, who hasn't raced in a year after hurting his own motor with someone elses IC....

Jack, I told your boy Sully several times before there is no reason to bring my car out. What do I have to prove?? I have won the point series twice and have held the et. and mph record for the past 3 years.

Once you get Sullys program in the mid to low 9's where it belongs maybe I will bring it back out.

Speaking of poor performance you need a little work yourself. The pumpkin is a joke of a TSO/TSL car running high 8's once in a blue moon between blow ups while mid 9's are your norm.

If "The Jack" is such a great cooler why did you and Sully remove them from your cars?? Please give us a list of how may "Jack" coolers are being used in TSM/TSO classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.