new ebay headers

If memory serves me correctly, I actually tracked down a buyer of the ssautochrome Buick turbo headers for some feedback. They said that the diameter of the pipe used apparently was too large, creating a high degree of turbo lag. Possibly they were just leaking?? I can only speak from personal experience about their SBC stainless headers, they s_cked _ss. :biggrin:

The JDM I can only go by what EightSecV6 posted.

UPDATE:

Tom just moved, so he does not have internet access right now.

Today he installed the headers. The only part that caused a problem was a small clearance issue between the head and a primary. He said after a little grinding on the head, everything fit. Also, there is not 02 bung, which may cause a small problem for some.

The car went a best of 11.6X@114 Friday. With nothing else done to the car, we'll see if it picks up this Friday with the install of the JDMperformance headers.

header

i buy a kit from ssautochrome 3 mount ago ! i make 500miles whit no problem and after that i need to remouve the passager side headers for re-welding betwing the 3 pipes .....but i was the only problem i have whit this header....i have a fast turbo responce whit small lag, less then the original header ported :D ,after 3 mount and 2000miles they was alway good but the flange start to by rosted :( but for 300$ it's not to bad :biggrin: last thing the turbo flange was a little bit to large for my pt-70 3 bolt turbo :frown:

tybob said:
i buy a kit from ssautochrome 3 mount ago ! i make 500miles whit no problem and after that i need to remouve the passager side headers for re-welding betwing the 3 pipes .....but i was the only problem i have whit this header....i have a fast turbo responce whit small lag, less then the original header ported :D ,after 3 mount and 2000miles they was alway good but the flange start to by rosted :( but for 300$ it's not to bad :biggrin: last thing the turbo flange was a little bit to large for my pt-70 3 bolt turbo :frown:
I think the JDMmotorz (which is what Tom has) and the SSautochrome are 2 different types of headers. Yeah, for $300, that's not bad luck. I paid $700 for a set of used ATR's.

Did you use a downpipe clearanced for ATR headers or a normal dp?

KevinB said:
I think the JDMmotorz (which is what Tom has) and the SSautochrome are 2 different types of headers. Yeah, for $300, that's not bad luck. I paid $700 for a set of used ATR's.

Did you use a downpipe clearanced for ATR headers or a normal dp?
- there are no problem whit the stock downpipe but when you instal the atr you need to modified the header ou bump the d-p a little bit to clear the header :redface: i think you can buy 2 different type of atr d-p one for header and one for original manifold !

I used to buy the cheapest parts i could find but i really belive, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I just bought a set of ta perf headers and they fit with no problem even with my 3.5" downpipe :D

JPN800 said:
I used to buy the cheapest parts i could find but i really belive, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I just bought a set of ta perf headers and they fit with no problem even with my 3.5" downpipe :D
hehe where you buy your t/a header and your 3 1/2 d-p.....do you keep you a/c and heater for the 3 1/2 d-p :confused: :biggrin:

chinese headers.. no thanks. I seem em and the welds looks okay but they are NO ATR's.. Does not look like stainles either. Looks like dull chrome plating..

FlyinGN said:
chinese headers.. no thanks. I seem em and the welds looks okay but they are NO ATR's.. Does not look like stainles either. Looks like dull chrome plating..
Really??? My headers (ATR) next to Tom's, I think the "Chinese" headers look better. Welds are cleaner, pipes are metric so they are a little bigger, the exhaust ports are bigger than mine (I have to grind mine so they don't block the ports on my heads), and there are wider bends just name a few. And they are stainless, no doubt about that. Not chrome, just polished.

the ones I seen had chips of the coating (chrome) coming off on the turbo mounting flange. Stainless does not do this..

Ill keep my stockers..

Header Project

The following is a discription of the headers as they were sent to me. At first glance they were found to be of very high quality and made almost exact to the ATR header. Except there was no Bung on them to hold the O2 sensor.

After a fast trip to the hardware store to pick up a Castellated nut size 9/16X18 and stopping by a local exhaust shop that can weld Stainless and $15.00 later that trouble was over come. Now to the install.........After removing the Old set and cross over and No the turbo does NOT have to be removed.. I started on the passenger side and installed the header and gasket. The mounting hardware was purchased at the same hardware store 10 1 Inch grade 8 bolts and lock washers.this hardware will replace the factory. After installing the passenger side I proceeded to try to test fit the 3.5 inch terry Houston "NO GO" With this being a very expensive upgrade I grabbed the 3 inch Terry Houston I have and it installed no modifications at all. So I figured with a Very small adjustment to the 3.5 inch pipe it would have enough clearance to install. So I proceeded to install the drivers side header, it went on without a hitch. the factory hardware was used in the dipstick holder hole and the front bracket hole for the upper forward header hole for the alternator bracket. NO MODS WERE NEEDED TO COMPLETE THE DRIVERS SIDE!!

After installing the header I slipped under to install the cross over. This to was a simple deal with the slip together joints and the flexible band clamps these attachment sections installed in minutes. now to the 3.5 inch downpipe, After making a small maybe 2 inch by 3 inch indentation for clearance only, in the side of the terry Houston it installed perfect. Slip fit. It would be nice not to have to dent in the Terry Houston but I honestly know it is only because it is the 3.5 the 3 inch Terry Houston will bolt directly in.

The finish was attaching up the Dump and snugging up the rest of the exhaust to the Dump. Install the Plugs and Wires and Star it up. I was very pleased to say that the Thermal couple for the Exhaust Temp gage will install without modifications around this header in the proper location just below the Turbo flange opposite of the O2 Sensor.

All in All This was as str8 forward of an install on headers that UI have ever done and if your are one of the lucky people who have cracked reworked or welded up nasty looking headers This is an exceptional set of Headers that almost anyone can afford and install in a few hours in their garage with a floor jack, jack stands and simple hand tools. the only specialty item that was needed was to take the header to the exhaust shop and have the O2 bung welded on in the hole I prepared with a drill and a grinding tool but if you have a drimmle it would also work, just drill a hold and grind it out to except the castellated nut and go have it welded by someone who can weld Stainless.

As for all the modifications that were being talked about I am not sure if these have had a revision to them since those were tested but my opinion is for a replacement set of headers these get a S&H Turbo Works Approval. (yes that is the side business I have to work on these cars.

Ebay winning bid $232.50
Shipping $ 35.00
O2 Bung $ 1.35
Welding $ 15.00
-------------
Total Installed $283.85 Total install time from start to finish 4.5 hours.

If you have any questions after reading this or looking at the pics please feel free to contact me.

Scott Hetzel
405-740-3421
v6turboboy@yahoo.com

Attachments

• IM000577.jpg
    IM000577.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IM000578.jpg
    IM000578.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 976
  • IM000600.jpg
    IM000600.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 980
  • IM000594.jpg
    IM000594.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 977
  • IM000594.jpg
    IM000594.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 973
Update on Tom's car from the track Friday:

Without anything else...the car picked up 2 mph. He did experience a leak where the crossover pipe slips together. That side lined him from making any more passes for the night. Today he was going to weld it together. I say good buy! 2 mph for $300 :)

I have the set I bought. I fit them in the jigs I have (ATR like) and they seem to fit them very well. The crossover lines up fine and fit the test block. I have NOT put them on in a car but see no reason why they will not fit. The tubing is polished stainless. The flanges also appear to be stainless but I have not tested them. The welds are excellent, better than the ATR IMO. After seeing these I see no reason not to use them. For the price they cannot be beat. You will have to weld in an O2 Bung and I would weld the crossover but we welded the crossover on the ATR units as well.
Mike

EBay Headers

I just bought and installed a set of the jdmotorz headers. Had to instal an oxygen sensor bung, which was okay. The fit is just like the ATR's, had a set of original ATR headers to compare them with. They came polished stainless steel. No problems with the V-clamps or anything. Used a band clamp on the crossover connection slip joint.