*****STOLEN***** truck/trailer/car

At this point, it looks like the truck is going to be a loss.

Billy T.
Why?...If you liked your truck, why not insist and have the insurance pay to repaint it and put a new radio in ?...:confused: It would likely be ok after that!...Also, what are you going to do about your GN being "re-vin'd" ?...Put back it's original serial number or leave the new number on and just have it "legalized" (...if that exists!)?

Claude :redface:

Congrats Billy! Glad to see this turn out much better than expected..... i didn't want this to turn out like my brothers car..... and that one was only gone for a day or two ..... TOTALLY Stripped... mfers.... hope they burn

Why pour brake fluid on it? Out of spite? Disguise it?

Thieves are human POS scumbags. Once some tried to steal the rims/tires off my trailer where it was stored. I had wheel locks on them so they slashed all the tires. Karma will pay them all back someday.

Though we have never met I am very happyfor you,I to have fallen victim to auto thieves,Glad to see you have your belongings back in your posession.

Inquiring minds would like to know this scumbags name and if in any way he is into Buicks and who his associates are.

Seems like he knew what he was looking for and probably attended the GSCA Nationals. Sounds like an inside job by someone in the Buick community to me.

Hope we can rule that out !

In post 695 on the yellowbullet thread, Billy states that they were not at the track.

He can't say too much more right now. By the sounds of what the scumbags were doing by re-vinning the car, and looking to do the same to the truck, it was probably a larger scale operation outside of the Buick community... Again, that is my opinion. If they were in the Buick community, I think they would have known how small it is and that the car would eventually be realized for what and whose it was.

It was a scary thought that someone could actually do this to someone inside our community. I really believe a very far fetched thought, but it is possible. I will be anxious to learn more as the investigation allows.

It is a complete shame that Billys truck was damaged so badly also. The vandalism to it was surely done as they had found out the car was recovered and it could not be kept. Maybe that McDonalds will have had video and the perps can be identified to add to the arrest department.

Although Billy has his car back, it will be a long and painful road to be even close to feeling comfort with his vehicle combination again.

I am curious of what will happen with the VIN tag being removed by the thugs. Will the car be considered totaled? Can it be officially re-vinned again? I am thinking the car will have no value as a specialty vehicle again unless the original tag is located and re-installed officially. What a bummer.

Best of luck with your journeys Billy. You know you have a great support group for whatever will help you get back in the saddle.

Mike

<snip>
I am curious of what will happen with the VIN tag being removed by the thugs. Will the car be considered totaled? Can it be officially re-vinned again? I am thinking the car will have no value as a specialty vehicle again unless the original tag is located and re-installed officially. What a bummer.
Mike

Might be a salvage title now since it is a theft recovery... dunno for sure.... I just hope these sumbitches get locked up for a loooooong time

aaron

hopefully it won't be a slavage title,this guy has been through enough.i don't think it has a insurance claim so it should not get a salvage title

Because of the value of the car. I see no reason why they couldn't re-re vin the car. It was probably only changed in one location.
The insurance co would be miles ahead to pay for it to be properly done if possible.

should'nt have a slavage title. car recover in perfect condition..

Well, IMHO, condition doesn't dictate type of title. All the theft recoveries I've seen/known, have all had to revert to salvage titles, especially when there's been VIN tampering. Some states have different names other than "salvage" title but they're all the same.

Well, IMHO, condition doesn't dictate type of title. All the theft recoveries I've seen/known, have all had to revert to salvage titles, especially when there's been VIN tampering. Some states have different names other than "salvage" title but they're all the same.
Good point ..

Ok, what about the truck, should it have a salvage title to? if the ins doesn't total it. still have the orin vin on the truck.

when a vehicle is stolen and missing over an extended period of time which is usually 3 weeks or more the insurance company will pay off the original owner giving it a "total loss" status. technically the car may not be damaged at all, but because it was paid off it will receive a salvage title but if the cost to repaint the car is more then its value then it will also be a total loss and given a salvage title IF Billy choses to go that route. if not, then it will not have a salvage title.

when a vehicle is stolen and missing over an extended period of time which is usually 3 weeks or more the insurance company will pay off the original owner giving it a "total loss" status. technically the car may not be damaged at all, but because it was paid off it will receive a salvage title but if the cost to repaint the car is more then its value then it will also be a total loss and given a salvage title IF Billy choses to go that route. if not, then it will not have a salvage title.

That's the answer i was looking for brett..

As of this post, I have not received any form of payment from the insurance company.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I had a car with a "State of 'X' recertification of VIN" stamped steel plate rivetted into the doorjamb. The windshield VIN was for a diiferent year same model car. No other aparent changes had been made to it when I tore through it top to bottom. Other stamped areas hadn't been tampered with and matched the jamb plate. But it did have a salvage title because of that recertified VIN. I don't know that Billy would know where to get another windshield tag made, or get the proper rivets to avoid this. It would keep the integrety of the car's title since it's been recovered, but the publicity of what's happened makes that hard now. If no ins payment is made, I'd suggest leaving it just as is, with complete documentation of the events surrounding it's loss and recovery in a folder, in case sale were ever considerred. Salvage seems a penalty for righted wrongs, but that windshield tag is going to be a value detractor just as a salvage title. Except maybe in the case of fame...:confused:

UPDATE

I have all my vehicles in my possession now.

Can't go into detail due to the ongoing investigation.

My car was re-vin'd. Also the ignition cylinder was swapped out. All the my paperwork (XFI notes, time slips, NHRA Competition lic, etc, etc) that in the car was taken, fire suit gone basically the car was cleaned out.

My truck was located in a McDonalds parking lot in Detroit. When the POS theiving bastards dropped my truck off, they poured brake fluid all over the truck. The only body panel that wasn't touched was the roof. They even got the grille and headlights. Looks like they were going to re-vin the truck also because the interior and exterior windshield trim was removed. The ignition cylinder was also swapped out. Oh yea, the radio was taken. At this point, it looks like the truck is going to be a loss.

Go to Yellowbullet for more info.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

same thing happened to my 88 cutlass.. re-vined, painted, swapped interior..what a nightmare. i wish you the best

my uncle had a truck stolen that was recovered shortly after with an altered VIN, before CHP released it they applied a new VIN ( blue tag) that matched the original in the door jam like stated above. since there was no pay out yet from insurance, they paid to have damage fixed mainly just door and radio, and it still retained a clean title.

I do believe that the original rivets can be bought from dealer, when i bought my 69 with plans of full restoration, i had my buddy that worked at the dealer purchase them for me, i plan on removing the VIN tag and trim tag, when it goes in for paint and body work, i dont want them damaged or come up missing.

I wouldnt worry to much, since you have a police report and it's theft was documented, I would take pics of everything as soon as possible so you can document the condition it was recovered in, and since the only damage was the VIN tag, state will issue a new state tag. I doubt anyone on this board would hesitate to by Billy's car if it would come up for sale since only damage was VIN, and once its replaced i would consider it ZERO damage

my uncle had a truck stolen that was recovered shortly after with an altered VIN, before CHP released it they applied a new VIN ( blue tag) that matched the original in the door jam like stated above. since there was no pay out yet from insurance, they paid to have damage fixed mainly just door and radio, and it still retained a clean title.

I do believe that the original rivets can be bought from dealer, when i bought my 69 with plans of full restoration, i had my buddy that worked at the dealer purchase them for me, i plan on removing the VIN tag and trim tag, when it goes in for paint and body work, i dont want them damaged or come up missing.

I wouldnt worry to much, since you have a police report and it's theft was documented, I would take pics of everything as soon as possible so you can document the condition it was recovered in, and since the only damage was the VIN tag, state will issue a new state tag. I doubt anyone on this board would hesitate to by Billy's car if it would come up for sale since only damage was VIN, and once its replaced i would consider it ZERO damage

Just removing and replacing a VIN tag rivetted to the same car is a Big no-no!!!:eek:
Good thing we know you're just kidding about felony VIN tampering on that 69 huh?;)

Of course, if somebody were to know the exact VIN of Billy's car, it's windshield tag could possibly be anonymously mailed as 'recovered' for reattachement too.;)

Just sayin... ya never know about those things....