$ .05 Per delivered E-mail: This sucks:

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash
FWIW:
TurboGN

Stevex, I agree with you. I know its a little off-subject but check this out:

Subject: Federal Bill 602P-Mail Charge

Subject: Federal Bill 602P-Mail Charge (I can't believe we will be charged for our internet services, over and above what we already pay, but.........)

Guess the warnings were true. Federal Bill 602P charges 5-cents per
E-mail sent. It figures! No more free E-mail! We knew this was coming!!
Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent charge
on every delivered E-mail.

Please read the following carefully if you intend to stay online and
continue using E-mail. The last few months have revealed an alarming
trend in the Government of the United States attempting to quietly push
through legislation that will affect our use of the Internet.

Under proposed legislation, the US Postal Service will be attempting
to bill E-mail users out of "alternative postage fees."

Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent
surcharge on every e-mail delivered, by billing Internet Service
Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed in turn by the
ISP. Washington, DC lawyer Richard Stepp is working without pay to
prevent this legislation from becoming law.

The US Postal Service is claiming lost revenue, due to the proliferation
of E-mail, is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue per year. You may
have noticed their recent ad campaign: "There is nothing like a
letter."

Since the average person received about 10 pieces of E-mail per day in
1998, the cost of the typical individual would be an additional 50
cents a day -- or over $180per year -- above and beyond their regular
Internet costs.

Note that this would be money paid directly to the US Postal Service
for a service they do not even provide.

The whole point of the Internet is democracy and noninterference. You
are already paying an exorbitant price for snail mail because of
bureaucratic inefficiency. It currently takes up to 6 days for a
letter to be delivered from coast to coast. If the US Postal Service is
allowed to tinker with E-mail, it will mark the end of the "free" Internet in
the United States.

Congressional representative, Tony Schnell (R) has even suggested a
"$20-$40 per month surcharge on all Internet service" above and beyond
the governments proposed E-mail charges. Note that most of the major
newspapers have ignored the story the only exception being the
Washingtonian which called the idea of E-mail surcharge "a useful
concept who's time has come" (March 6th, 1999 Editorial). Do not sit
by and watch your freedom erode away!

Send this E-mail to EVERYONE on your list, and tell all your friends and
relatives to write their congressional representative and say "NO" to
Bill 602P.

It will only take a few moments of your time and could very well be
instrumental in killing a bill we do not want.

PLEASE FORWARD

87 GN, Tomka cold air, translator, PTA49, V4, SMC alky, Precision plenum w/PP, ported intake w/o EGR tower, Champion irons, TH downpipe, ATR 2 1/2 w/pittbulls, gutted cat, BFG Drag 275/50/15's on Cragar Streetlite II's, Blaupunkt Casa Blanca with amp/subwoofer, Joe Newmann paint job. "When the turbo spins the bull**** ends!!!"

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

June 22nd, 2004 02:35 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am reposting this from the tech forum because I felt that it would not get the attention & exposure that it deserves. I am neither condemming nor condoning this info, but I do find it very interesting. I hope that the original author has no problem with me posting it here.

Gary,

I believe this is an urban legend ans has no factual basis. Do a Google search and see what you find.

Neal

Oops: My bad.
Sorry. However, I did have good intentions. As we all know, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. That must be the "yellow brick road" that I have heard so much about. I had no idea that this was just a rumor, or not true. I think that I have only transferred the "Foot in mouth" problem to "Finger in keyboard" problem. Should have figured, I guess. Thanks for the "heads up" here. Sometimes, I think that there should be 2 of me, 1 to kick the other one in the a$$ for being so lame. Thanks Neal & all.

What they may have lost in regular mail was probably made up with packages sent via ebay auctions and internet sales, god knows I've probably spent a small fortune:(

Originally posted by CHARGED
What they may have lost in regular mail was probably made up with packages sent via ebay auctions and internet sales, god knows I've probably spent a small fortune:(

That would be very interesting to find the amount of revenue generated from ebay/ecommerce verse amount of revenue lost to regular letters.

Even though this is a myth about charging for email, I find it funny that the U.S gov't could even possibly think of charging for email. Especially since email is such a global thing. Technically, I could just keep my German email accounts and never have to pay that. :)

Actually, there is one proposed model which would charge some small incremental amount for an email, like $.001. The purpose would be to hit these clowns that send tens of thousands of spam messages. I personally wouldn't care about that-all my mail in a month wouldn't be 50 cents.

The other proposal is to make the sending computer solve a non-trivial mathematical question, which would slow it down. I don't see this as a solution because of the large disparity of machines. As they get faster, the problem becomes trivial, but old machines would continue to take some appreciable time to generate a solution.

b u l l s h i t..........

they cant charge for email, when is this myth gunna die!

You're right.....they can't currently charge for email.

But MANY big providers of mail service, like AOL, Yahoo, MSN as well as the IETF and bodies like Senmail are banding together to try to build some kind of mechanism to eliminate the SPAM we all suffer from. When they all finally reach an agreement, a motion will begin to migrate mail servers to whatever standard they decide on to control it. It will be years before it's fully in place, but some people will begin to notice a difference sooner than others.

Like I said, a charge is just one of the options they're looking at, and the purpose of it wouldn't be for profit or to get your money. It would be to penalize people who send 1,000,000 emails a day for inappropriate mass marketing. Charge them a tenth of a penny each, and they have to pay a grand to market whatever swill they're handing out today. Me? I might rack up a bill of 2 cents in a day.

Under proposed legislation, the US Postal Service will be attempting to bill E-mail users out of "alternative postage fees."

that is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life
they could have come up with something better than that
the USPS has nothing to do with internet "mail"
haha...what idiots

I actually saw on the news a couple weeks ago that Bill Gates might start charging people per email charges for any email sent on one of his servers.