1 DIN vs. 1.5 DIN?

Matt Weiser

It's an F.U.V.
Wondering if anyone has installed a 1 DIN head unit and used the remaining 1/2 DIN space for something else? Like, would there be enough room to mount a Scanmaster in there or a turbo timer? Got pix? Was just scheming the other day and thinking it would be a nice clean way to mount stuff, as opposed to tacking it everywhere...if there's room!

Originally posted by Matt Weiser
Wondering if anyone has installed a 1 DIN head unit and used the remaining 1/2 DIN space for something else? Like, would there be enough room to mount a Scanmaster in there or a turbo timer? Got pix? Was just scheming the other day and thinking it would be a nice clean way to mount stuff, as opposed to tacking it everywhere...if there's room!

Not getting much response on this one. Actually, I'd be interested in this one too. I'd love to get my boost controller in that space.

It would probably take making a new face plate with the CD/Receiver offset up or down and a new cutout for the 1/2 Din accessory. Might make a nice R & D project.

Agreed, I could see this being a real clean way to install a boost controller and Scanmaster, or SM and turbo timer, something like that. I don't like having a lot of doo-dads sprinkled around the cockpit everywhere. Surely somebody out there has tried this already!

I have done a few installs with a universal GM radio install kit where I have installed a 1.0 din with a 1/2 din pre-amp or EQ. You can install it with the head unit on top or on bottom. I dont have the kit # but any car audio shop should have the kit with the different mounting face plates.

You know...this is a REALLY great idea. Maybe Kevin (aka Buick From Hell) could make up a radio face plate with cutouts for the Scanmaster and the BstC.

I'd like to clean up my dash too. Right now I have the Scanmaster sitting on top by the driver's side A-pillar. The BstC is on top of the radio pod, and the SMC alcy controller stuck to the side of the dash. My car looks like mission control!

John

That Metra kit looks like a great starting point. At only $9 I may just buy that and see what I can do with it.

Most of the turbo timers and other electronic accessories out there are 1/4 DIN size, so two of them side-by-side ought to fit nicely in that 1/2 din EQ slot. Anyone know if the Scanmaster is 1/4 DIN or is it some oddball size? The measurements are 4"wx2"dx1"h but I don't know how that translates to DIN.

The height of the factory radio is 3 3/4" and the width is 8 inches. Height of a DIN unit is about 2" but you have to consider the radios trim ring which makes the total height about 2 1/2". So, if the accessory is 1" high there would be plenty of room to put one in but probably not two. As for the side to side possibilities, the opening of the plastic trim piece which fits over the cluster is 7" wide which precludes putting two accessories side by side. So, it looks like any one accessory would fit but not two. Unless you have two accessories at 3 1/2" each, that is.

Hey, wouldn't it be neat if Steve C. at SMC could design us a 1/2 DIN controller for the Alchy system? It could fill the entire void under or over the DIN receiver. The buttons and switches could also be made to look factory. Hmmmmmmm........

I little more food for thought. 1/2 DIN is 1" X 7", so 1/4 DIN is
1" X 3 1/2".

Should we move this thread to the "New Products wanted"?

But if the stock stereo is 8" wide, wouldn't that leave room for two 4"-wide accessories side-by-side in a 1/2 DIN space?

I guess I want to hear that I can fit a 4" wide Scanmaster and something else in the slot above-below a DIN head unit. Maybe with a little careful cutting and jostling it can be done.

As for moving to "new products", what I'd like to see is:
-- a plate to fit in that 1/2 DIN slot for clean mounting of 1 and/or 2 1/4-DIN accessores
-- a switch plate for the same slot
-- cupholders for that slot (OK, maybe that one's a brain fart!)

Seems it might be a tough sell getting a production panel made for an alky setup for the limited number of people who have alky AND a 1 DIN stereo.

In any case, these would be some vendors to target:

http://www.buickgn.com/
http://www.engraver1.com/

If I'm not mistaken someone on this boeard posted a car for sale wich had the scanmaster under the head unit. I can't remember which car it was. Looked good.

Dannyo

Quote:
"I guess I want to hear that I can fit a 4" wide Scanmaster and something else in the slot above-below a DIN head unit. Maybe with a little careful cutting and jostling it can be done. "

Matt, You are right, the current radio is 8" wide. I just wanted to clarify that the trim panel that fits over the whole cluster is only 7 1/2" wide at the radio cutout. So, yes, you can put two 1/4 DIN units side by side as long as there is at least 1/4 inch of space at the end of the front panels of each of the new accessories. Did I say that right?

I love the cup holder idea, LOL! If you want a cup holder, just get the console riser from IMM Auto Specialties. It takes the place of the current storage lid and has a cup holder built into the front of it. I love mine!

A Scanmaster and Boost Controller would be just too cool! Or a scanmaster and a switch panel.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a blank 1/4 or 1/2 DIN box that one could fabricate his own accessory with?

Matt, I've done some more research today and have come up with the correct Metra part which will do the job. It's Metra part number 99-4812 and contains a metal frame (basket), and three front panels. One mounts flat in the frame, one mounts 1/2" extended, and the other 1" extended. They all have the cutout for either a 1/4 or 1/2 DIN accessory. It retails for about $15.00. For anyone who knows exactly how much extention they want, they can buy part number 99-4501 (1/2" extention) or 99-4502 (1" extention). These two kits come with the plastic basket instead of the metal basket from the other kit.

I've ordered the 99-4812 today and plan on putting my Boost Controller side-by-side with another 1/4 DIN accessory as yet to be determined. Hope this helps anyone who is interested.

Here is the Metra Electronics Web Site http://www.metraonline.com/home.htm

Great thread. I hate to have stuff all over the interior of the car. I really want an alchy kit, but dont like the huge controller, and I have no center console either.
Some good ideas there. You know, I had a thought when it came to mounting my extra gauges that runs along these lines.
I bought an under dash universal radio pod from pep boys. With some fabrication, it will fit below the radio pod, and hold 3 small gauges. Paint it to match the car, and make a faceplate out of plexi, painted black on the back, and it would match the center pod and look factory. I have yet to actually make it, but it looks really promising as an idea. Us bench seat car owners have no place to put gauges without hanging them all over the place.

On a side note however, I still prefer to have my scanmaster where i can see it. Why would you guys want to put it where you have to look away from the road for it? The whole point is to be able to see any knock retard so you can get off the gas before you hurt your motor...
Someone might want to mention this thread to Steve (for the alchy kit idea). It is more common than you think to have a 1 DIN head, with a 1/2 space left over. His kit is a great product, but the size of the controller makes for a tough install. It would make sense for him to "standardize" the size of the controller, not only for our cars, but others as well. This is the case with a lot of the turbo timers, and import electronics. They are sized by 1/2 DIN and 1/4 DIN on purpose.

Jason, As for the location of the Scanmaster, I don't have one but instead, have a Casper's knock gauge mounted right next to my boost gauge in a dual pod on top of my steering column. I also believe in seeing knock as soon as it happens and throttling down.

I agree that Steve Chlupsa should see the info on the 1/2 DIN adapters. I've actually thought about taking my SMC controller aparat to see what would be involved in relocating the guts into a 1/2 DIN case and mounting it in the Radio Pod. Think I'll transfer some of this info to him. Is there a way we can have the administrators transfer this whole thread to the "New Products" Topic?

Well, its not exactly a new product, per say. Just an advancement on an existing one. But maybe a new post should be put up in the section to gauge interest in a re-package of the controller.

Look in the alchy-"naas" forum. There are a few threads running about taking the controller box apart to re-work it. A few people have run leds up into the factory cluster, using the power injection and low fuel lights to sub for the lights on the box.

I just entered a new topic in the New Product forum but think I'll duplicate it in the Alchy Forum as well. Thanks for the idea.

Rayk -- Thanks for the info on the Metra kit, sounds like the way to go. I noticed the other day my local Autoblown sells Metra kits. They had a universal GM kit but no DIN provisions like we're talking about. Maybe they can order the one you found and save me shipping costs. From the pic it looks like the fractional DIN accessory mounts underneath the stereo. I'd rather have it on top, but maybe you can flip the whole assembly and do it that way. I'm also interested in the dual gauge pod you have mounted on your steering column. I want to mount rpm and boost gauges there so I'd like to hear more about how you did it.

I'm glad this thread has stirred some interest. I agree it's nice to have gauges in line of sight whenever possible. But having stuff mounted everywhere is a REAL tipoff for thieves -- not to mention eye-candy for cops. That's why I don't want a pillar pod and I don't want anything parked on top of my dash. I may go with an audible knock detector so I can get that kind of heads-up warning without having that gauge front-and-center.

Matt, You have mail. I E-mailed you a pic of the dual gauge pod which I make and have sold to a number of members. If you're interested let me know. The kit contains the pod, velcro for mounting and directions. The gray is an exact match for the GN/T interior.