1.Hard starts on E85 2. E3 plugs

gntyDenver

GnTy
1st issue... Hard starts on E-85 is it just me??? I start my car once a week and go PLAY;) but since i've switched to Corn it will take me forever to start her up im talking 30-45 min killing the batt. and on the car charger, but once she started its all good, am I outta TUNE or is this the 2nd down fall on E-85???....for who dont know 1st flaw is there can be more staions:wink:

2nd question Has any1 tried E3 plugs on our cars? I have them on my truck(2000 Silverado) and they help with M.P.G and some responce maybe a tab of power its hard to tell in the MILE HIGH but they always boost them up on HORSEPOWER T.V, I figure E3,E85 why not? sounds like good clean H.P? :rolleyes:.....

Well as it gets colder it's going to get tougher, seeing you're from Colorado it's probably the E70 mix by now so that will help. I need about 4-5 seconds to get my started in this 40 degree weather, up about 2 seconds from Summer.

E3's here, I like them, start up was great and mileage is as good as your tune and right foot really.

1st issue... Hard starts on E-85 is it just me??? I start my car once a week and go PLAY;) but since i've switched to Corn it will take me forever to start her up im talking 30-45 min killing the batt. and on the car charger, but once she started its all good, am I outta TUNE or is this the 2nd down fall on E-85???....for who dont know 1st flaw is there can be more staions:wink:

2nd question Has any1 tried E3 plugs on our cars? I have them on my truck(2000 Silverado) and they help with M.P.G and some responce maybe a tab of power its hard to tell in the MILE HIGH but they always boost them up on HORSEPOWER T.V, I figure E3,E85 why not? sounds like good clean H.P? :rolleyes:.....

You need to mix 1 gallon of pump gas to 9 gallons E-85 and your cold starts will be history. I did not see a performance decrease by doing that since it was cold anyway. The other solution is a block warmer or if your car is stored, keep the temp above 50 or so.

I've ran 25psi on E-3s and no issues. Nothing wrong with AC/delco plugs if you'd like to take the E3s out of the equation.

sweet thx!!, But putting 1 gallon of gas in will that throw my tune off?

Your idle and part throttle BLMs should adjust slightly, just keep an eye on the WOT values. In my case it worked out because the car needed more little bit more fuel anyway because of the cooler denser air.

Since your using FAST you should be able to adjust your initial startup injector pulses. A FAST guru could answer that better than me.

BTW: Your TY sounds sweet I've been looking for one of those lil trucks :)

E3 plugs

first off get rid of the plugs. my son put them in his 1500 ram and within 2,000 miles the truck started missing and was getting hard to start. We pulled one plug and there was nothing left of the outter part of the plug but 3 prongs sticking up hopeing that it didn't mess up the piston or walls. We changed the plugs and found 4 more like it so be carefull. I really dont think these plugs do anything just another way to get ur money

CGaston- this should probably be in it's own new thread but perhaps admin can split the thread so we do not hijack the OP;

I think we will need a lot more information such as:

What are you driving?

What mods have already been made?

What are your goals--ie: more power, lower cost per mile, just want to get away from oil based fuel, etc.

How will your engine be run:
--daily driver rural area
--daily driver urban area and short trip
--drag race all out
--bracket race

Area of country (important due to cost spread E85 to gas AND seasonality blend variations)

Your ability to work on it yourself.

If you do not want to post this up-it is ok- but it will require you do more of the digging thru threads and websites on your own and possibly not ending up with what you thought you wanted.

I am running the e3 plugs and I have no problem starting the car at all. I drove it yesterday and it was in the low 20's for temp in the morning. I make sure the fuel pressure is up before I crank the car over. I probably have over 6000 mi on the plugs already. The only thing I have noticed so far, is I am getting worse milage as it gets colder. It went from 16 in the summer, hovered around 14 in october, and yesterday I got 10:eek:. Now it could be because I let it idle longer to warm up, but anyone else notice a drop in milage on e85 as the temp drops? It doesn't bother me as I am storing the car before the snow flys, but I'm curious now.

i started my car today and its 15 degrees out started on second try...cranked for about 3 sec before lighting off...

id say check the tune dude...id bet its cranking fuel vs coolant temp...what % of addl fuel are you adding during cranking?

I am running the e3 plugs and I have no problem starting the car at all. I drove it yesterday and it was in the low 20's for temp in the morning. I make sure the fuel pressure is up before I crank the car over. I probably have over 6000 mi on the plugs already. The only thing I have noticed so far, is I am getting worse milage as it gets colder. It went from 16 in the summer, hovered around 14 in october, and yesterday I got 10:eek:. Now it could be because I let it idle longer to warm up, but anyone else notice a drop in milage on e85 as the temp drops? It doesn't bother me as I am storing the car before the snow flys, but I'm curious now.

im getting around 15 with a built motor and a 3800 non lock up

If you have a cranking fuel trim I would add some fuel and see if that helps . I know I'm running e85 with SD2 controlling it and I had to add about 8% more fuel while cranking to have to t start like it was on regular gas . So again add some fuel I'm pretty sure it will help your issue