$10.00 Gallon Gas Coming Soon!!!

Agent86

"Would You Believe..."
CNN is doing a special this weekend at 8:00pm eastern time. It's regarding what will happen to our economy, and how it will possibly go into total wreckage if gas hits the $10.00 a gallon mark- Speculation at it's finest. (I think we're heading there now, nearly halfway there now with diesel prices)

All, I can say Folks is GET READY!!! Fasten your Seatbelts!! ~ :D It's coming soon....

I'm definitely going to sell one of my GN's NOW before it's worth less and less.... why wait till gas creeps so high people don't give a $hit about having a sportscar anymore.

I'm done. I'm officially getting Turned the hell off! I'm buying a dam motorcyle and going to call it a day!!!! I HATE WHAT'S HAPPENING!!! Grrrrr!!!!:mad:

gas prices

:mad:

Attachments

• gas-humor-8.jpg
    gas-humor-8.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 394
  • gas-humor-10.jpg
    gas-humor-10.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 437
  • gas-humor-12.jpg
    gas-humor-12.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 413
These pics above are just great! This gas crisis is just sucking the joy out of me. Sorry for the ranting fellas.:cool:

$10/gal would not surprise me. A schoolyard bully doesn't stop taking a kid's lunch money until he fights back. The entire country is whining and moaning but nobody is really doing anything about it.

AHHHHHHH!!!! Lets all freak out about things that haven't happened because we don't understand economics!!!!

the sky is FALLING!!!

The higher gas goes, the lower the demand, and then the alternatives really start to gain steam because they become economically viable. Fine with me, that just means one step cellulosic ethanol will be here even sooner.

i should also add that pragmatically speaking, alternative fuels are the only viable long term solution in this country.

We have plenty of oil but the environmental lobby has so much power that it is basically inaccessable. I think this is a larger hurdle to overcome than the research and development of alternative fuels.

You also have to consider also that classic capitalist ideals that are supposed to govern the free market dont apply so much to oil since the price of oil is not realistically set by the producer of that oil. Whatever investors decide to pay is what oil will be, and artificial shortages due to oil cabals like opec, serve to increase scarcity and drive up prices. So it doesnt really matter if you are able to produce oil at 10 dollars a barrel or 50 dollars a barrel, your oil will still sell at the same price.

The higher gas goes, the lower the demand, and then the alternatives really start to gain steam

It's not that we don't understand economics, it's that there isn't a clear point where demand will actually drop enough to stop this trend. People have hated the gas prices for years. Has anyone really stopped driving, aka lowering the demand? Not really. Yes, they can only raise the prices so high before everyone says "screw it" and stops paying. But we aren't there yet. And with prices being so high in other countries, our prices will probably go a lot higher and they'll just say "look what the rest of the world pays for a gallon".

So I agree with you. At some point, price will outweigh demand, and we'll either find another fuel, or prices will go down. But the unknown variable is how much are Americans willing to pay before they actually stop driving.

Check gas prices 20 years ago. I can remember when regular was $1.87. It has just about doubled in some areas and went up even higher in others. $10.00 a gallon will be here sooner then we realize. It is not only very possible but likely that in 2028 gas will be $10.00 a gallon. That's not that far of a stretch.

Sadly enough it won't prevent most people from changing their driving habits to reflect. They will drive less but not less enough to effect the demand which directly affects the supply (price).

Demand drops or increases relative to oil price all the time. The oil companies just find the sweet spot that maximizes their profits. They also are reaping the rewards of the low prices they lulled Americans into getting used to in the late 90s. Auto manufacturers stopped toting MPG as a selling point and SUVs exploded.

Now that prices are up again the SUV is not a hot seller and hybrids are flying off the shelves. It takes auto manufacturers time to retool their efforts and for the public to crack. When this starts to effect the market, the prices will drop and people will start buying SUV's again and stop being as careful about fuel consumption.

Right now it seems to me we are going to see higher prices for awhile longer than what we have in the past because of increasing demand in foreign countries like china and a weak Dollar.

AHHHHHHH!!!! Lets all freak out about things that haven't happened because we don't understand economics!!!!

the sky is FALLING!!!

The higher gas goes, the lower the demand, and then the alternatives really start to gain steam because they become economically viable. Fine with me, that just means one step cellulosic ethanol will be here even sooner.

So true...It's all a function of supply and demand, people. There is no grand scheme. You are paying higher prices because of reduced production (we ain't building refineries, that's for sure), increased supply (India + China). If supply decreases, and demand increases, price follows demand. Macroeconomics, guys....first year college.

So true...It's all a function of supply and demand, people. There is no grand scheme. You are paying higher prices because of reduced production (we ain't building refineries, that's for sure), increased supply (India + China). If supply decreases, and demand increases, price follows demand. Macroeconomics, guys....first year college.

You mean demand up there but I know what you meant. People want to over-complicate the matter with conspiracy theories but it does all boil down to simple economics. Every day I get on to a 4-lane highway that has slowed to a stop because of the volume of single-digit MPG SUVs piloted by a single driver. Literally a sea of 6 or 7 passenger vehicles as far as the eye can see all occupied by one person. And I follow and am followed by the same people every day right up to the parking garage at work. All coming from the relatively same place, and going to the same place - by themselves in their SUVs.

Until Americans begin to change their behavior we're going to continue to pay through the arse for fuel.

I've looked at motorcycles and those Smart cars but the reality is that for what they cost, unless gas goes to like $25 a gallon they would take forever to pay back. Ditto with hybrids. The only realistic way to quickly reduce consumption is to reduce the mileage we're putting on our existing vehicles.

Jim

A schoolyard bully doesn't stop taking a kid's lunch money until he fights back. The entire country is whining and moaning but nobody is really doing anything about it.

Ditto. And some of the people whining I bet are still driving their big old gas guzzlers that they don't need, yet refuse to buy a more economical smaller car/truck.

First off I don't fall into anything CNN has to say!

I have my first load of high end scooters ordered and should be at my dealership this week:biggrin: People are trying to stop driving as much, or at least save on gas as much as possible.... At the first of the year I couldn't keep Z-71's and Tahoe's on the lot. Now I have about 250K worth and NO BODY IS LOOKING AT THEM.....

Gas is high and food is high. People are struggling to get back and forth to work and put food on their table for the family. Many people, at least where I am from, live in Rural area's where there is no public transportation etc.... So to get to work you got to drive....

The dollar is weak, that is the basic problem with high gas prices. Oil companies are making much more profit but have seemed to keep their profit margin's the same... The dollar is weak for many reasons, the biggest drop has been in the last 2 years, same amount of time the Dem controlled congress has been in:rolleyes:

This, to me, is such a severe situation it should be considered a matter of National Security... Theft and other ugly things are going to start happening as the economy swirls down the toilet...

IMO, we need to go to Iraq and start taking back payment on what we have spent over there. They say the Iraqi people aren't seeing any of this money so are the pumps turned off in Iraq?

Get involved and start driving your congressional representative crazy... VOTE and let your voice be heard. Demand action, start at the local level and it will grow. When politicians on both sides see America is tired of the crap they will listen....

Saw an interesting story on the local news a few days ago. They were talking to new and used car dealers about the value of SUV's and large trucks and they all said that they CAN NOT go by the NADA and Kelly Blue book values anymore. Some said they stopped taking them in trades also. Sounds of 1974?? Remember the oil embargo and what happed to muscle car prices almost overnight?? Probably won't happen quite that fast but if your thinking of selling/trading in that big ole SUV or pickemup, might want to do it soon..........:eek:

Ken B.

First off I don't fall into anything CNN has to say!

IMO, we need to go to Iraq and start taking back payment on what we have spent over there. They say the Iraqi people aren't seeing any of this money so are the pumps turned off in Iraq?

+2

You mean demand up there but I know what you meant. People want to over-complicate the matter with conspiracy theories but it does all boil down to simple economics. Every day I get on to a 4-lane highway that has slowed to a stop because of the volume of single-digit MPG SUVs piloted by a single driver. Literally a sea of 6 or 7 passenger vehicles as far as the eye can see all occupied by one person. And I follow and am followed by the same people every day right up to the parking garage at work. All coming from the relatively same place, and going to the same place - by themselves in their SUVs.

Until Americans begin to change their behavior we're going to continue to pay through the arse for fuel.

I've looked at motorcycles and those Smart cars but the reality is that for what they cost, unless gas goes to like $25 a gallon they would take forever to pay back. Ditto with hybrids. The only realistic way to quickly reduce consumption is to reduce the mileage we're putting on our existing vehicles.

Jim

Good catch on the typo....thanks.

If a truck or big car or a sports car is what makes me happy and I can afford it, stop trying to save me from myself.

Now when manufacturers see that overall demand for more fuel efficient vehicles is profitable and they stop producing vehicles I would normally choose, my decisions become more difficult. But I will decide for myself what I drive at that point.

The point is demand caused these large vehicles to be produced. We consumers wanted them. Bad mouthing your own choices is hypocracy and has no credibility when those choices suddenly don't work out. And to expect instant gratification in the form of being able to shed those vehicles overnight is naive and childish.

Jim does make a good point: carpooling. My stepfather did it for years 5 days a week with 4 people on a 45 mile commute to the same office. I would too if I had a long commute.

first off this is not totaly bad news for us. we are very lucky to have "muscle cars" that can get 25 mpg very easy. I think it will only help keep these cars value in check as you can still drive them. I have a 57 chevy conv I would love to drive but it gets 8-9 mpg so it sits. I started it 1 time in the last 3 months when I had people over just to prove it still runs. :D

2nd we can all stop driving or get cars with better mileage but guess what even as demand falls in the us (slightly this week)
Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update

world demand is up (thank you china / india) because we sent all our jobs there when it was cheep they now have money for vehicle and other industial things that were not possible 10 years ago. there demand is going up at a rate of 18.5% a year ours fell .004 last month .. therefore we are fukced no matter what regular gas is never going to be offered at a lower price than today. Now alt fuels will help stabilize the price but not drop it. Sad truth.

Anyone what to buy a big block dually pickup 4x4 ??

Saw an interesting story on the local news a few days ago. They were talking to new and used car dealers about the value of SUV's and large trucks and they all said that they CAN NOT go by the NADA and Kelly Blue book values anymore. Some said they stopped taking them in trades also. Sounds of 1974?? Remember the oil embargo and what happed to muscle car prices almost overnight?? Probably won't happen quite that fast but if your thinking of selling/trading in that big ole SUV or pickemup, might want to do it soon..........:eek:

Ken B.

the problem with tradeing the truck in is that i use the da_n thing. I myself would be lost without it. ya i only get 16 mpg but it is payed for and it is only a 92 chevy no trad in valu there. So for some of us we just cant do it. ya it sux that i pay 70$ a week to go to work but it has to be done. The jeep isnt much better at only 18mpg (sad for a 2000) the wife drives that and spends 50$ a week for it and IF we go any place and we still paying on the loan with 5,000$ before that is payed off. It is sad that when i started to drive that gas was only .95 cents a gal. and that was in 1992. I hat to say this but it sux getting older but i do understand where lots of you older guys come from. The irakies just want the money from us because we blew up thier country.that is why thay want $200.00 a barel for oil.