You can type here any text you want

109 na block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

billhead

What is the difference between the 109 block and the 109 na block other than the lack of the turbo drain hole in the front of the block. Are na blocks not a worthy candidate to use for a turbo rebuild?What years were the 109na blocks used? Thanks

What is the difference between the 109 block and the 109 na block other than the lack of the turbo drain hole in the front of the block. Are na blocks not a worthy candidate to use for a turbo rebuild?What years were the 109na blocks used? Thanks

If the casting numbers are 109 (last three digits) then the blocks are exactly the same. Only the oil drain for the turbo is not drilled and tapped. (and it hasn't been 0-60 in 3.9 seconds;) ) Easy enough to drill and tap. Mid year 1985 is when they came about. (If I remember correctly) They were also the factory replacement V6 from 86 on. So if someone bought a GM Buick V6 for thier '82 Cutlass, the dealership used the 109 block. I've seen a few in wrecking yards in Monte's, Cutlass', Grand Prix's and Regals. Haven't seen one in years, though. Most wrecking yards don't carry anything older than 7-8 years old now days.:mad: I have to go to a pull-a-part to find anything 18 years old. And I just don;t have the time to pull an engine anymore. I recently found (2) 4.1/200-4R engine/trans's in full sized Buicks. It killed me to walk away from them. I just didn't have the time to pull them. (and there wasn't the usual plethra of Russian/Mexican folks hanging around asking everyone if they need help pulling anything......... "FifTee dolerzzz I vill pull zat enJIN fer yuzz.") Would have been woth it to pay someone $50 to pull it, though.

All 1986 and 1987 GM RWD G-body cars with VIN code "A" use the 109 NA block. This would include Gran Prix, Cutlass, and Regal. I don't think any Monte Carlos got V6's in 86 or 87.

Ken, The 1985 engines went to 20 bolt oil pans and timing covers mid year 85 but the 109 block did not see SOP (start of production) until 1986.

The 84-85 engines all used steel shim head gaskets and std head bolts. The 86-87 (and 89 TTA) 109 blocks all got deeper head bolt threads and composite head gaskets.

If anybody tells you there is a difference between a Turbo block and NA block, they would be wrong!

The ONLY difference is the drain hole for the turbo........and the boss is there just waiting for a 45/64 drill and 1/2" NPT tap to complete the work.

Dave

Hey Dave nice car in the video but I hate seeing videos were the turbo Buick gets it's a$$ kicked; no matter how fast the Buick is.

One guy that I knew had a 109 block street driven 10 second GN 6 or 7 years ago and every time he raced someone he found a way to lose; he gave Buick's a bad name.

Then there is another guy that I knew that has a high 11 to low 12 second GN that always kicked a$$ every time he would race, he was the type that gave the GN it's image. :biggrin:

no difference except that those na block never saw any boost which makes them ideal doners especially where cap walk occurs pitting where the main caps connect.

All 1986 and 1987 GM RWD G-body cars with VIN code "A" use the 109 NA block. This would include Gran Prix, Cutlass, and Regal. I don't think any Monte Carlos got V6's in 86 or 87.

Ken, The 1985 engines went to 20 bolt oil pans and timing covers mid year 85 but the 109 block did not see SOP (start of production) until 1986.

The 84-85 engines all used steel shim head gaskets and std head bolts. The 86-87 (and 89 TTA) 109 blocks all got deeper head bolt threads and composite head gaskets.

If anybody tells you there is a difference between a Turbo block and NA block, they would be wrong!

The ONLY difference is the drain hole for the turbo........and the boss is there just waiting for a 45/64 drill and 1/2" NPT tap to complete the work.

Dave

Good info, Dave. Thanks!

Back