11" bolt on brakes

DR.BOOSTER said:
JSTA6, would you guestimate that this set up is around $550 new?

I would.

BUT, the pictures that I have seen of the calipers at napa.com and other parts sites show a single piston caliper. I do not know if that is just a generic picture or not. Also, the only spindles I have found so far are "drop" spindles. Which is ok for some, but not for others. It may be cheaper to get the spindles and the hub from the bone yard. I would assume that the preferred method would be to get the rotors and calipers new.

can someone tell me if this setup will clear stock REGAL WHEELS?
thanks.

nice install man. im definately considering this as well..

No wonder you can hold 10lbs. of boost on that T Pete, I'm going with this setup as soon as I can find a pair of spindle assy. at a wrecking yard.
Clean setup! :smile:

i would like to know if a stock G-body flex line will bolt to these calipers? i would also like to know if i could use the spindels off a 2wd S10 pick up

onefastcar said:

Interesting thread... I'll have to look at it again tomorrow... head is still spinning from finishing up engineering finals at school today. :wink:

one thing that was a big part not mentioned was the issue of heat. Its nice to say everything acts nice and linearly like that thread states, but coefficients of friction in compounds and materials vary widely due to temperature. Yeah, those comparisons might be right for the first cold stop on the brakes, but after that you have a lot more issues to deal with. A little more complicated than basic physics textbooks. Small rotor will dissipate the heat a lot more slowly, more likely to end up with a fade situation...

Also what wasn't mentioned was the fact that multiple pistons can distribute the load more evenly across the brake pad to the caliper, depending on geometry. You can't consider the back of a brake pad perfectly stiff, so that a load applied in the middle will be automatically evenly distributed to all the corners of the pad.

I might end up a member at gn-ttype soon, lol.

A+ for ingenuity, and useing common parts, and low cost, great job, looks good, and looks like it came from the factory that way (I guess it did come from the factory that way, just a decade later and on a blazer) :D, i'll get this computer thing down one of these days :eek:

Sounds like a lot of work IMO for an extra 1/2 inch in diameter
The diameter is misleading. If you look at the stock brakes, the actual center of the pad is only about 4 and 1/2 inches out from the center of the rotor, so the "braking radius" is 4 and 1/2. If the S10 brakes move that out to 4 and 3/4, that's about a six percent increase. The area, which is the heat disapating part, increases by about 10 percent. Plus, the better calipers. So it looks good to me, for those who don't want to change spindles and suspension parts, and wheels. Especially for vacuum brakes, where you could match the master cylinder to the calipers, which would probably work even better.

Ormand said:
So it looks good to me, for those who don't want to change spindles and suspension parts, and wheels. Especially for vacuum brakes, where you could match the master cylinder to the calipers, which would probably work even better.

You have to change the spindles. You have to change everything between the upper and lower ball joints.You can not reuse your spindles. Hence my statement about the work envolved. I wasn't bad mouthing anyones workmanship just making the observation that there was a lot of time and money for the 10% gain. I've acheived similiar results with just a change of pad material but unfortunetly all I have is track times and seat of the pants to validate my results.

In response to some of the previous posts, these parts are only used on the 1998-2005 TWO WHEEL DRIVE Blazers/Jimmy. The Trucks use the old 10.5 rotors,spindles and 1 piston calipers and the Olds Bravada is AWD so parts from these models will not work.

Ok, I have a set of GNX wheels (Not GTA) what would be the best setup with a 4in BS???

Kinetic Dan said:
So, from reading this thread, the S10 spindle/calipers offered in this eBay auction would give me everything I need, and line adaptors?

and if I wanted to run 2" drop spindles, I'd have to use S10 ones, right?

**EDIT: The calipers on the auction look a lot smaller than those in your conversion, even though this is an 03 S10?**

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPIN...33564QQitemZ8025827433QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

That's single piston calipers. Came on the pickups. You want dual piston set up off of the Blazer models. 98 up, I believe.

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone tried this mod with a vaccum brake setup or just the hydroboost?

:cool:

Sorry, I had just from the dentist and was somewhat incoherent. So anybody have this set up with vacuum brakes???

:cool: