You can type here any text you want

11 Inch Backing Plates

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cpac

CPAC
:eek: LOOKING TO UPGRADE MY REAR BRAKES ON MY GN ,,I CANNOT FIND BACKING PLATES FOR A 77 MONTE CARLO 11 INCH AT THE LOCAL AUTO PARTS .....HELP:eek:

head for a junkyard, and if you can't find a 76 or 77 Monte, then get the backing plate (with all the parts still attached) from a Caprice cop car, taxi, or station wagon- look for the bigger 5X5 wheel bolt pattern.
buy new shoes, cylinders, and spring kit for a Caprice with big brakes and get some new Monte drums and you are good to go.

head for a junkyard, and if you can't find a 76 or 77 Monte, then get the backing plate (with all the parts still attached) from a Caprice cop car, taxi, or station wagon- look for the bigger 5X5 wheel bolt pattern.
buy new shoes, cylinders, and spring kit for a Caprice with big brakes and get some new Monte drums and you are good to go.

That's what I did..10 years ago...:D

Hey those 11" plates aren't a plug and play for the stock 9.5" drums. Those 11 inchers are made for the old conventional 4 bolt style GM axle flanges. Aint no way those will ever bolt onto the 3 bolt flange of a G-body.

BTW those 11" plates are the same as the 77-96 B-Body.

I Realize That Flange Must Be Cut And Drilled ,since You Are A Oem Expert ,were Can I Purchase These Backing Plates New??????

There aint enough meat on the flange to do it safely. You'll just end up FUBAR'n a perfectly good axle housing.

Used is the only way you'll find 11" plates.

There aint enough meat on the flange to do it safely. You'll just end up FUBAR'n a perfectly good axle housing.

Used is the only way you'll find 11" plates.

I can't agree on that as I did it on mine and it worked very well..
I used 89 Caprice Back Plates and the 73 Monte Carlo SW Drums.

:biggrin:

Back