13 Mpg???

1stTurboGN

I am getting 13 miles out of a gallon of gas.... 90% highway miles!!! 36lb blue tops and driving very easy.... any ideas why so bad??:mad: :confused:

lol...i just moved to tampa and i was seriously considering that..... any other ideas..........:)

Do you have a scan tool to see if all of the BLMs are in check or out of whack? Could be bad O2, again scan tool will tell you that by the O2 X-cnt not cycling from 0-255 in 90 or less seconds.

I had the same problem. I was checking around the engine bay for problems with a flashlight and discovered my turbo to header flange was leaking 3/4 around the flange. Took off the turbo, looked at o2 sensor (it was black indicating the rich condition) and filled the flanges flat (it had 4 high spots on both ends). Used ultra copper and reassembled. I did not start the car until 24 hours later to let the rtv cure and my mileage increased dramaticly after this. Before I was lucky to get 13mpg but now get around 21-22.

Well i filed the turbo and all that a few months back, all thats left is a small leak from the header... something that little could cause my mpg to go that bad? as for a scan tool, i dont have one/ cant afford one/ dont know anyone around here that has one sooooo i guess im out of luck with that part of it but thnks for the responses!

oh yeah....what exactly are blm's and if it was a bad o2 sensor wouldnt i get something when i checked the trouble codes?

TCC solenoid

Check to make sure the TCC solenoid is plugged in. Even if it is...it may not be functioning properly. Does your converter lock-up (provided its a lock up unit). If not...your RPMs will be high when driving on the highway...and thus....worse MPG.
Chris

How can i make sure the convertor is locking up?? it is a lockup unit. and where is the tcc solenoid?

TCC

To check to see if the converter is locking up, I would just to an attentive road test. Go thru all the gears under steady, easy, constant throttle. It sounds silly...but count out loud, or at least in your head, as you progree thru the gears. You should hit second, third, fourth (around 45 mph), and then the convertor should lock up. You may not feel it like a shift if it is a stock convertor, but you should ( and feel) see the revs drop. I believe the should be around 2000-2200 at around 65 mph. If theyre at like 2600-2700 in fourth at 65mph...that prolly means it didnt lock up. Theyre is also a method where onced its locked....you tap on the brake (still on throttle too). I believe it should unlock...and the RPMs should rise. I believe the TCC is plugged into the drivers side of the trans. Check gnttype.org for more info. Sorry bout the long post. Good luck.
Chris

Do you have a ECM chip for Blue Tops or Stock injectors? Could make a big difference!

I was bowled over last weekend. On the drive to St. Louis and back from Columbus, Ohio - my 184,000 mile daily driven GN accomplished just over 23 MPG!:eek: :D I attribute it to my Lean Cruise Thrasher chip...and possibly to driving just about 75MPH the whole way.:confused:

Sorry for the shameless plug, but that was prolly the best average MPG I ever got out of this car in 17 years!

chris,
I went for a ride and didnt feel a thing after the shift into 4th... its not a stock convertor so i suppose i would have felt it (3500 lockup)... i dont have a tach yet but i didnt hear any rpm drop. so now ill have to read up on the tcc solenoid. as for the shameless promoter scott231 ;) yes i do have a chip for the blue tops. i appreciate all the help from everyone!!

Ist turbo

Do a search on the TCC solenoid. There is a lot of info to be found, both here and on Gnttype.org. Good luck.
Chris

hmm my TCC is unplugged because i have a bad unit... still pull 22 mpg about on the highway!... seem to do really well

your stall converter will be a factor i would assume since 3500 stall is kinda high for alot of highway driving... injectors really shouldnt matter much until you get into the boost and on the gas...

i cleaned my injectors and that helped alot aswell as new PCV, clean air filter, fill up tires correctly with air, do you have the stock 3.42 gears? id assume so...

could be a bad 02... mine was bad and KILLED my gas mileage to about 11... replaced and all was good... ran soo rich right after i ran 10 gals of race gas and 5 mixed gals with xylene... put in a denso and all is swell

yeah i have the stock rear end... if i pull the o2 sensor out, how can i make sure its still good? also..i know this sounds stupid, but my exhaust has been smelling kind of funny...almost like a propane kind of smell. yeah i know.... stupid, but i swear it smells different.....maybe ive just been smelling too much exhaust

hmm 02 sensor i dont think you can tell unless you have a scantool of some sort and somehow you can tell on that... if you dont know the last time when it was replaced... do it
i would recommend the ACdelco one available from a dealer or if you want to run some race gas occasionally... the denso 02 sensor... it is available at a few places and i ordered mine from sparkplugs.com pretty nice piece

also if you are smelling that much exhaust... you probably have an exhaust leak then or possibly a clogged catylytic... mine was clogged so i cleared it of all the honey comb parts... helped spool up greatly

i would check all the crossover points of the exhaust as well as the header to cylinder head connection... could have a leak as that would impair spool up greatly if it were affecting your gas mileage this much

compression test

do a comp test. i had very poor gas mileage for the longest. last night a buddy of mine did a comp test and found that #1 piston is getting no compression!!!! wont hurt to check.:D

did you mess with the cam sensor? I have put it in wrong, car ran great, but crappy mileage.

Have you checked your spark plugs and wires? Maybe need fuel injectors cleaned?

hey everyone thanks for all the replies :D OK heres the list
1) I dont have a catylytic convertor. I have 2.75 dual exhaust and im positive it isnt clogged. I do however have a leak coming from the header..ive changed all the gaskets and filed everything so maybe it is cracked?
2) compression test results good
3)I havent touched the cam sensor, but do they just go bad? would i get a code from the computer?
4)Fuel injectors cleaned about 3000 miles ago, plugs good.

....well next i have to fix the header and see what happens. If somehow i find some money ill change the o2. Thanks again for all the replies. keep em' coming!!