You can type here any text you want

15s in back 16s up front??? What do you think?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Im switching wheels from GNX style wheels to American Racing Torque Thrust IIs. I just bought new front tires, and I personally just like how the 16s look up front. I really want a 10in rim in back with a 275-295 sized tire. Well American does not make a 16x10 that I can find. So would running a 15x10 look goofy? The tire's outer circumference would still be close to the same, but the rear would look meatier.

Also what kind of backspacing is needed to run a 10in rear with our cars? I will have air bags and I dont mind rolling the lip.

You could go with 4" or 4.5" backspacing on the 10" wheel since you have airbags, that'll be enough to keep the tires from rubbing. My rear wheels are 4" backspacing and they're ok as long as I leave some air in the bags.

As far as the way it would look, I'm not sure. I probably wouldn't do it just in case it ends up looking goofy. But it's your car.

You could go with 4" or 4.5" backspacing on the 10" wheel since you have airbags, that'll be enough to keep the tires from rubbing. My rear wheels are 4" backspacing and they're ok as long as I leave some air in the bags.

As far as the way it would look, I'm not sure. I probably wouldn't do it just in case it ends up looking goofy. But it's your car.

You have any idea what kind of BS or offset will be needed on the front? I bought the car with the GNX style on there so I have never been shoe shopping for this car. Also what tires are you running on the back?

You have any idea what kind of BS or offset will be needed on the front? I bought the car with the GNX style on there so I have never been shoe shopping for this car. Also what tires are you running on the back?

Depends on what size wheel you're planning on using in front. Generally the most backspacing people will use up front is 4". For a 7" or 8" wide front wheel I'd go with 3.5".

My rear tires are 325/50/15. Crappy picture but shows how far they stick out.

rearangle.jpg

Nice! I bet those hook just about anywhere! Did you have to notch the frame rails?

Kind of a little off topic.....Back in the 80's it wasn't uncommon to run a 16/15 combo in autocross. The 16" tire was just coming of age when the new 84 Corvette was introduced. There was very little to choose from as far as rubber goes. The stock GY Gatorback was considered a sticky tire back than and thats what I lot of guys ran on the front of their Camarobirds,Mustangs and Vettes. The reason why was because of the tire profile. Those 16's were 45 series and had stiff sidewalls compared to the 15's 50 series. You could run the same diameter tire on the front and with the stiffer sidewall which greatly improved steering response. On a RWD car it didn't matter what you had on the back. You more or less wanted the rear to slide a little. You needed the car to oversteer.

No, I wouldn't say that combo would look goofy.

Back