You can type here any text you want

16" Tire selection for rear of GN

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

irockwithdirt

Hey, I'm going to be running GTA fronts on the back of my GN. Can't decide between 245/50/16's or 255/50/16.

245's are much cheaper. Do U think a little more tire is worth it? TIA, Kevin

Go 255/50. They are a true 26.1" tall vs. 25.7" for the 245's. This helps traction and will allow higher trap speeds in the 1/4 mile.

Unless you are buying really cheap tires, the price difference shouldn't be too much.

Just one choice IMO. 255s. 245s are too short. If you want good hook, look at Sumitomo HTRZs, W rated, and about $95 each from TireRack.com.

255 60's are a 28" tall tire...That's about what I'm thinking of going with myself as I have 16" wheels also (AR's).

I don't know if they would rub or not.

on my 16" A.R.E. GNX replica wheels I can fit BF Goodrich 265/50/16's back there with no spacers...BARELY (and I mean barely) clears the frame rail on both sides but it doesn't rub at all even on hard turns...just another option I guess:D

Well my planned setup will be GTA fronts on the rear with a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 255/50/16 (just ordered em for $110 ea shipped).

On the front, I've been talking to Bweavy about narrowing the GTA rears an inch to use them on the front with 215/55/16's

I know the wheels will sit a little bit inboard, but with my car being lowered a bit it should look ok..........I hope :D

I use 225 60 16s on the front. They are a tad taller than the 255 50s on the rear. Same to a little less height would be 215 60 16s. You don't need to modify your rims to run these.

On the BF goodrich tires mentioned....265 50 16s.......I bought a set of 295 50 16s and had them on my car for a month or so. Talk about tires that have absolutely no traction........and way overpriced to boot. Also they have the lowest speed rating. :rolleyes: Moral of the story is, if you want to get killed out of the hole everytime, go for BF Goodrich. :D

Originally posted by Red Regal T

On the BF goodrich tires mentioned....265 50 16s.......I bought a set of 295 50 16s and had them on my car for a month or so. Talk about tires that have absolutely no traction........and way overpriced to boot. Also they have the lowest speed rating. :rolleyes: Moral of the story is, if you want to get killed out of the hole everytime, go for BF Goodrich. :D

it's funny that you mention that because i have noticed that even with such huge tires as these tires are...they still don't hook worth a damn!!! and i always thought it was because i was running 400+ horsepower

i think it's the way the tread is designed...it doesn't feel or look like it can grip anything...they are very good in the rain though i might add...

it doesn't matter...this spring i am getting a new set of wheels for the street and they are gonna have drag radials on them...

You can do that.......DRs are better than my tires after you heat them up. Good for the track. But with no burnout, they don't hook. Can't do a burnout at a streetlight. My Sumitomo HTRZs hook.......and only $95 each. Sorry, no 15" sizes for our cars. Only 16s and 17s, 26" tall.

Has anyone ever tried a 275/50/16 on GTA fronts, mounted on the rear? I couldn't get a 275/50/15 to work w/o rubbing, on stock GN rims, however with a 3.5" back space Centerline [15X7.5"] the tires fit beautifully. I have a full set of never mounted GTA fronts sittinng in GM boxes that I'd like to try with the 275/16's on the rear. The 16's are the same sectional width as the 15's are but I am curious about the 4" backspace/frame clearance issue.
Anyone do this successfully?
Thanks,
Jim

I am fairly sure when I was researching this I read you can fit 275/50/16's but not 275/60/16's. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in.

I'm pretty sure that there is no such size as 275 50 16. There is a 295 50 16. They are 27.5" tall. Are you sure 275 is the size you meant? I did run the 295s on my car with IROC rims. IROCs have the same offset as the GTA rims you have. I had to use a 7/16" spacer, had my wheel lip sit a couple inches higher than the tire, and take steps to protect my tire from contact with the wheel lip when hitting bumps or dips in the road. The only company who makes this size is BF Goodrich. They offer no "off the line" traction.

I'm not sure, but I've read about people having 275/50/16 BF's and goodyears. Know they also make a 55 and 60 series tire, but I have no idea of fittment. :confused:

I did a breif check and BF did make a comp t/a vr4 275/50/16 but it appears they stopped making that size so I don't know? :confused:

Originally posted by irockwithdirt
I'm not sure, but I've read about people having 275/50/16 BF's and goodyears. Know they also make a 55 and 60 series tire, but I have no idea of fittment. :confused:

the 275/50 and 275/60 sizes are regarded towards 15" wheels...not 16"

No, I did mean 275/50/16. BFG makes the T/A in this size with the exact sectional width as the 275/50/15. I was wondering if anybody had tried these. I guess if nobody thinks they exist, I can figure out the answer.
Jim

Back