`160 degree thermostat is it worth it

christian237

contemplating getting a 160 thermo for the gn. the hottest my car has gotten is 200. whats the average temp for everyday use? the way i figure is the car might always run at 160 plus so if i get it the thermo it might stay open about 90% of the time. any advice will b welcome great

About 3 months ago I switched from the factory 195 thermostat to a 160. With the original, It would run at about 198-200 on the highway, and would get as high as 212 (with the fan running) in-town driving.

With the 160 thermostat, My temps at highway speeds are 165-168, and while driving in-town at at least 30 mph, the temps hover around 175-180. While sitting still in traffic my temps get to 200, then the electric fan kicks on and cools it down to about 190-193.

I am much more comfortable driving the car knowing that the coolant temps are on average 40 degrees below what they were when running the factory thermostat :D

Hope this helps,
John

thanx 4 the reply mine currently has a 180 thermo. im in socal so the average daily temp hereis mid 80.

Kind of a strange question - 'worth it'. Its a cheap and easy way to lower coolant temps.

strange? not realy if the temp on the car is always above 160 then the thermo will constintly be open so the water is always flowing as if their was no thermo thats what was on my mind.

yes, its worth it, the lower temps will help our cars run better with less chance of detonation in motor, and even if its open 90% of the time you need a t-stat to regulate flow.