You can type here any text you want

16x10's ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jbenn911

Still tryin to learn !!
Anyone run a set of 16x10" rims ?? If so, any fitment problems and what size tires have you put on...Thanks !!

My white t-type is the one on Brains website (gbodyparts.com). I had my GTA rims widened to 16 x 10 for a bigger footprint. I run 295/50/16 BF Goodrich radial tires and also use a 305/40/16 M&H when looking for trouble. I have no back spacing issues with hitting the body of the car with the tires. You would have to ask Brian about the backspacing of the rims because I don't know. My outter lip on my fender has been rolled to handle my 28 x 10.5" MT slick. aside from that I still have the stock wheel wells and frame, no notching done.

I've found there is very little tire selection available for 16" rims, basically only BFG offers the 295 tire for 16's, the next tire size below that from any manufacturer that I found was 255's.
Anyone else run into this?

I had a set of the 295 16 Radial TAs on my T. Might as well had snow tires. They have "0" bite. I'm running 255 16 Sumitomos. Pretty good traction and reasonable price.

Red Regal T- Really? My tires grab extremely well on the street. I was very impressed on how much power I can put down on them before getting the car outta shape. My car transfers weight very well though. Maybe suspension has something to do with it. I have the ATR rear sway bar and stock boxed control arms with 3.90 gears. Aside from my M&H's there the best radial tire I have had todate powering a 10 sec car.

My comment was from my personal experience with them a couple years ago and since then I've seen many others post similar experience with radial TAs. 295s are 11" wide but break loose very easily. :confused: I couldn't recommend them. However, I'm glad you had good luck with them. ;)

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I had a set of the 295 16 Radial TAs on my T. Might as well had snow tires. They have "0" bite. I'm running 255 16 Sumitomos. Pretty good traction and reasonable price.

John,Maybe part of your traction problem was running to wide of tire on a 8" wide wheel. Ttypewhite stated he was running a 10" wide wheel. I get the same results with 15" diameter wheels. Kind of like wearing size 13 shoes when you are a size 10. My personal preference for street tires is never run a tire whose tread is wider than the width of the wheel. Plus I dont like it when the sidewalls bulge out. Plus check the treadwear rating of a radial TA to your Sumi's. Radial TA's are IMO rock hard compared to the Sumi.

I run a BF Goodrich 295/50/16 radial tire and I can put a couple pounds of boost on it and crawl it outta the hole then rug it in the top of 2nd gear.

Ttypewhite, maybe you can respond to this

I know this thread is an oldie, but Ttypewhite, you say you have stock frame and wheelwells, does this also mean your quarter wheelwell lips are not rolled? Also, what kind of suspension combo are you running that doesn't allow those 295s to touch the body/frame?

I'm very interested in possibly getting this setup for my car, but it has a stock suspension, and I do NOT want to roll my wheelwell lips. Hopefully you see this thread!

16"x10" with 295/50/16 will only work with the correct back spacing, and the fender trim mustbe removed and rolled in order to not shread your tires to bits over bumps. My suspension has changed a lot since then. I run the Wolfe bar, upper adjustable Bennet control arms, Hotchkis lowers, LPW diff cover with axle brace kit, Drag shocks front and back, 90/10 and 50/50 with a 36mm front sway bar. The 295 tire on a 10" rim is very wide and sits about 27 and a bit inchs tall. If you don't want to remove your fender trim and roll the lip, your going to have to find the next size down in tires size. Hope that helps.

Yeah, that helps tremendously ttypewhite, thanks for sharing information on your setup. Alll that being said, I don't think I could bring myself to rolling the lip, but hey, in a couple years my attitude could change. I regret to say, I think I will stick with some smaller tires for a while. Thanks again.

I have a set of 16''x10'' GNX-style wheels with some M&H 275-55-16's on them...The wheels were made by Jim Lyon at True Design Wheel with a rear spacing of 4.25'' and there are no rubbing issues at all. I do have rolled fender lips needed when I use slicks at the track, but no frame notch.

Claude :smile:

Back