1968 Chevelle With '87 GN engine

My distant Cuz has a BAD ASS 68 Chevelle 454 4spd manual 12 bolt rear and a small sound system and only tips the scale at 3500#
And its 100% all steel and NO Weight saving anywhere.

As soon as I am done with my car one of my stops will be the scrap yard the owner is big into cars and said he would let use his scale, he said his scale is +/- 20#'s
Which would be close enough for me.

BTW I can't wait for it to end. So that I can start enjoying the car instead of working on it.

Yea mine had no weight removed, but its a small block, 10 bolt, th350.

I've got it figured that the toughest parts will be the fuel lines, PS hoses, and wiring. Did you bring the cruise control along with everything else? I would think once you wire up a switch it would just work.

Lookin good:cool: How is downpipe fitment? Does a GN one almost work?

The stock GN DP works but it needs a slight mod at the very end (it’s too close to the floor of the car) and it’s a little too close to the A-Arm bushing for my taste.
I’ll probably go with a TH style DP or a Tig Masters top half and fab the rest.

Either way that’s all that is left mechanically to do the car.
Then comes the tuning nightmare.

Cool, I'm going to try a g-bodyparts downpipe and modify as needed. Tuning is the easy part:smile:

Mild To Wild

HI GUYS! I was at a car show in Palm Springs last weekend, and there was a 66 nova with 2, yes 2, Buick V6's under the hood. the firewall had been relocated back to fit. I have photos if any one wants to see them.

You all know my story married with children no money love the cars.
Anyway I was finishing one car and getting it ready for sale in order to sponsor a bigger and better project. But here come the BIG MONKEY WRENCH:mad:

Here it goes the Chevelle is almost done so I start the planning for the Regal ('87 Turbo T) and the Wife starts with "I think you should sell the Buick and keep the chevelle since the chevelle is almost done":rolleyes: she is up to something
and now this week it became "I hate your cars, that’s all you think about, it never ends, you spend all of your time with the cars, you spend all of your money on those stupid cars":mad: :mad:
the biggest problem is that I fell in love with the Regal and paid a lot of money for it:eek: , in my opinion its worth it because its the perfect car for project it looks like its all original with no missing parts put still needs a good amount of work. My plan is/was
Sell the Chevelle and turn the Regal into a DD that runs 10.99's
The other problem is that I set up the Chevelle more main stream (spent a lot of money doing it) I left the original bench and a bunch of other stuff that I would have hacked up if I was going to keep the car.
So now if I sell the Regal I wouldn't make a dime on it plus I would have to go back and replace a bunch of things in the chevelle which equals more money. Any way my wife is now throwing bones at me she offered to pay for the AC system for the chevelle.
Anyway I am going to do a what’s it worth thread for the Buick to see how it turns out.
Sorry about the rant guys and please wish me luck.

Hide the Regal at a friend's house. If my wife knew about half the cars I bought/sold she'd have a heart attack. I lost my storage garage, so I'm down to my truck, my Park Ave, and my Skylark.

Hide the Regal at a friend's house. If my wife knew about half the cars I bought/sold she'd have a heart attack. I lost my storage garage, so I'm down to my truck, my Park Ave, and my Skylark.

Not a bad idea but I suck at hiding things I must have a "tell" that she picks up on because I always get busted.
For know I am looking at possible "options" AKA procrastinating.
BTW check my sig for the link.

"Sell" the car to your father for $1. Then when you finish the Chevelle, buy it back:D You will able to look your wife in the face and tell her you sold the car without lying...I know what it's like, every car I see that I like I wind up wanting. I did notice that I'm a lot more focused with only one project car, they get done a lot faster when you only throw money at one at a time.

FWIW: I kinda agree with the wife, keep the Chevelle and tell the t-type. Chevelle is worth more $$ even not factory like that, but I definately see your point about you not making it the way you would have because you had intentions on selling it. Plus if you really like the t-type better, thats not your fault! LOL!

When you finish that Chevelle, you should get good money for it. Hell, if I had the money I would buy it. I love Chevelles and could think of no better drivetrain for it than a GN drivetrain. Could make it a daily drive in the summer without completely killing the bank account on gas, unlike a small block or big block chevy.

Tough choice for you. Good luck either way. And dont lose your marriage over a car either... doesnt sound like a smart choice.
Spend one day a week to take your wife out to dinner somewhere half way decent and spend the whole day with her. If shes anything like mine, she'll let you do whatever you want if you do that.

Women just need attention. Good luck either way and good work on the cars!

Thanks for the reply
I defenatly wont let this get out of hand. She is great and we get along great.
Right now we are on a schedule and the last 2 weeks I have only put about 6 combined hours into the car which has helped with the smoke clearing.
Next week it’s going to be Sunday and Tuesday and the rest is hers.
I guess I am loosing the car time fight slowly but shorly. LOL

FWIW: I kinda agree with the wife, keep the Chevelle and tell the t-type. Chevelle is worth more $$ even not factory like that

Ditto. I'm already missing my 71 Chevelle I just recently had to sell.

I love Chevelles and could think of no better drivetrain for it than a GN drivetrain.

Why not a big block? Sure it might eat some gas (that's the nature of the best of a hot rod!) but big blocks and Chevelles go together like peanut butter goes with jelly. Add in a 12 bolt and a 4 speed and you have it.

Just make sure it's either a 454 or a 502 big block, the 502 ram jet would be an awesome engine in a Chevelle!

Ditto. I'm already missing my 71 Chevelle I just recently had to sell.

Why not a big block? Sure it might eat some gas (that's the nature of the best of a hot rod!) but big blocks and Chevelles go together like peanut butter goes with jelly. Add in a 12 bolt and a 4 speed and you have it.

Just make sure it's either a 454 or a 502 big block, the 502 ram jet would be an awesome engine in a Chevelle!

Those big blocks are bad A$$ but they will kill you at the pump I thought of going with a BBC but since I will be driving the car I wisely went with the V6.
My Cuz has a 68 Chevelle with a 454 4spd and 411s the car pulls AWESOME but after a short run he is at the Pump if he as much as idles the car for ten minutes he has to go to the pump.

Anyway back to the chevelle
last night I wired up the console
and the Volt gauge is reading 18 plus volts
I checked the voltage with the scanmaster and a Meter and the both read the same at 13.5 volts. So something else to the "To do" list

I also picked up a Y pipe and some 45's to start fabing the exhaust.

Those big blocks are bad A$$ but they will kill you at the pump I thought of going with a BBC but since I will be driving the car I wisely went with the V6.
My Cuz has a 68 Chevelle with a 454 4spd and 411s the car pulls AWESOME but after a short run he is at the Pump if he as much as idles the car for ten minutes he has to go to the pump.

Yeah they will eat your wallet at the pump but on the other hand most don't drive their big block cars anymore than on the weekends.

Plus big block Chevelles usually fetch the big bucks.

Now of course there are ways to up the efficiency of the engine so they aren't such pigs, but yeah as a rule more power = more gas.

My buddy has a Big Block Chevelle. While it is Bad Ass as far as performance and sound... ask him about putting gas in it! LOL!
And when I run right next to him in my monte next year he is going to be PISSED!