You can type here any text you want

1982 GN at the track

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

Well, the Chichagoland Chapter of the GSCA had a drag race event last weekend (great people, great event!). Of course my '83 T Type decided to break right before the event. But my '82 GN/SC was running pretty good lately, so I brought it along. It's completely stock except for a K&N cone filter.

It was hot and humid, and it didn't like build boost at the line. I was leaving with too little boost and it would hesitate, then go (not really as bad as bogging). It felt like the TCC was engaged and then disengageing, which might be possible. My TCC has be sticking lately.

The last run of the day, it didn't hesitate. Here's what it ran:

60' 2.508
1/4 16.755
MPH 82.11

Not blisteringly fast ;) but it's what Car and Driver did back in 1982. It will be a good baseline to work from. Leaving with more boost should drop the 60' time. (I need to move the boost gauge to the A-pillar so I can see it) At 10 psi max, I'm seeing very little knock, so I think I'll turn it up a pound or two.

Since nobody has ever run a '82 GN at the track as far as I know, by default, I have
The World's Fastest '82 GN! :eek: ;) :D :rolleyes: :p

I have an event coming up in 2 weeks and have been skeptical about taking my car. Did they laugh and snicker at you for bringing that car or not? what does the 83 run?

No, most people like to see the earlier cars. They realize they aren't rockets. There are plenty of slower cars there. :eek: If it's bracket racing, "Slow and steady wins the race". :)

My '83 has run a nearly identical best time, but I have never gotten a clean run our of it. Mid/Low 16's should be possible stock and in tune.

Have a boost gauge where you can see it. Learn to leave with as much boost as possible without spining the tires. For me this was about 3 psi with an open rear. Don't do burnouts for street tires. Concentrate on getting a good, clean run before doing things to make the car faster. Premium fuel of course. If you have a way to monitor knock, it will help.

Go and have fun! :D

What Rich said...

We like to see any Buick-powered car at our events. Most of us were cheering him on, as much as we could in the heat. I said it was probably the fastest 82 in our club, if not the world....

That's not a bad Et . My very first ET after I put the turbo setup on the "77" odd fire was a blistering 18.34 @ 80.00 MPH . Now thats slow. :)

2.27 gears , 1700 stall convertor 15# of boost . on 105 octane.

that was 8 years ago , back in 1994

Well I don't know how well I would do. Not much has been done to the car other than bored 40, decked 10, ported and polished heads, Elgin performance cam, still running only 9lbs of boost but I have an adjustable wastegate, and a 2400 stall. It just has the 3.42 limited rearend in it. Oh yeah and my Civic cold air intake. I still need to upgrade the ignition system.

P.S. the oil passages have been opened up to 3/8 inch, crank has been chamfered, high-volume oil pump, forged pistons

Rich Glad to see that your 82 made it to the track and that you have people there cheering you on. besides Fred you are the only other person at the track.

Pat you better beat me to the track....my car should be done next week if all the parts come in. I'm hoping for 14's on the first day, if I can remeber how to lauch at a tree. Trying to talk the wife in to some ET slicks. I really don't want to try it on the stock 14" tires

Take some pics of the engine and all the crud from the oil, should have it on my site this week.
Jim

Right on. So you are going to be updating the site then?? Didn't mean to pressure you into it.:D

Back