1984 seats

mybuick

intercooled engines rule!
i need seat covers made. so i need a list of places that will do this, jacks won't do it..

yeah! me too. :D
I think we 84 guys are pretty much on our own with this. I think I had even requested this in in the new product request section about a year ago.
If your wanting oem look, I think the sand grey fabric can still be found if you get lucky and look hard. But I'm almost certain its no longer being made.
Last I had checked with brian at gbody, he had a couple rolls still. My leather is in good shape, its just my cloth is worn in a few spots. Its not important that I match fabric exact. As long thread and texture are very close, and of course the color. A local custom interior place has already told me no problem, but its going to be pricey to be done right. They will remove the leather from the fabric at the seams, condition it, then resew it to the new cloth. Even if you got a few rips in your leather, most good leather shops can fix it so's you'll never see it. I'll also do my upper door cards and the rear quarter cards all at the same time so all the cloth matches.
If anybodys got any pictures of their seats and interior of the lear siegler after they've been redone, I'd love to see them.

After 1 a year search I came up with fabric in 2002 (best bet now is Brian).
Back then $600.00 to do the four front panels on the two front seats and my fabric at $75.00 yd ( did a very good job can't tell it was replaced)
It was done in Norwich,Ct. and his prices have gone up
They have too much work now after Barrett Jackson shows on Muscle cars.
I went back last year to do the upper doors with my fabric and inner belt moldings he wanted $400.00! and I was going to take them the panels not the car.
Not going to be cheap if you want it done OEM and right.
By the way Jax did the center arm rest but I don't think he wants to do 84's any more

Attachments

• 84 GN1.jpg
    84 GN1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 697
I found a shop locally to do mine. They did the door panels also. Cost nearly $1800.

Int_GN.jpg

i know it will be alot but ulpolstry shops won't do it here and i dont know how much it will cost to have them shipped somewhere???

I saw this fabric shop posted somewhere else as a possible source.
Don't know anymore than that.
I also have a '84 that shows some wear on driver seat,
so I had added this in my favorite column.

Mark

conn84 and fgordon, those seats look awesome! I envy both of you! any before pictures?

i called sms and they wanted $370 for 4 sq yards of the material ill have to get that. then i might have to learn how to sew :(

I have about 12 yards of oem material. I don't sell it by the yard as to help save seats that are not completely gone. I prefer to sell patch panels that will help save the near perfect cars.
If you need driver side upper & lower patches I will sell them or enough for a driver side upper door panel. I will not sell enough to redo a whole car just due to the fact that the materail will help salvage alot of near mint cars. There is only so much material left out there.

both my front seats have the normal wear holes and the rear leather has a rip in it so i need to redo all seats. i have the leather but i need the fabric.

how much for the pieces that i need for the front seats just the outers?

conn84 and fgordon, those seats look awesome! I envy both of you! any before pictures?

Mine was not too bad visually but it had a severe case of dry-rot. It seemed that every time you touched it there was another tear. The top of the back seat was also sun-burned pretty bad. Pictures (if I had them) wouldn't show the real "before" condition.:smile:

man, I can't get over how nice those look.
Reason I had asked if any before pics, I wanted to see how bad foam and padding was, if it was cut or ripped bad. I just picked up a spare set of 84 gn seats that are going to need some foam repair.

Thats all new leather too? did they reuse the logo? or stitch new one? sorry for 20 questions, I'm gonna change my user name to "annoying guy"

Mybuick- Call Riggs Brothers in either Wheaton or St. Charles IL. 630-682-1717 or 630- 443-1717. They specialize on interiors and they did my headliner for $200. It is worth a short call. I went to they St. Charles shop at 630-443-1717. Good luck. Brad

man, I can't get over how nice those look.
Reason I had asked if any before pics, I wanted to see how bad foam and padding was, if it was cut or ripped bad. I just picked up a spare set of 84 gn seats that are going to need some foam repair.

Thats all new leather too? did they reuse the logo? or stitch new one? sorry for 20 questions, I'm gonna change my user name to "annoying guy"

Questions are No Problem, We're all excited about our cars here.

Yes, all new leather, the logo was re-stiched as the old ones were badly faded. The leather on the old seats looked to be in pretty good shape except that the sun had made it stiff and I don't think it would have stood up well to frequent use. The padding was about what you'd expect from a 22 year old car, smelled like decaying rubber and was pretty well flattened.

Frank

Hey guys, first post here but I thought I would make it a good one. I was directed here by mybuick from the Monte Carlo SS website earlier today. The seat covers for the Leir Seigler interiors for the 82 & 84 GN's, and the 84 T-Types with this option, will be available soon in reproduction form. I have been working with PUI for the past year on getting these done and here are pictures of the very first set. The cloth is a dead match for the original but they will not do the leather inserts in real leather due to costs. They have used a vinyl that is very similar in color and grain to the original leather. The correct red and yellow logo with black outline stitching will be on the 84 GN seats, and the correct grey outline stitching will be on the 82 GN and 84 T-Type seats. Right now there is not a pattern for the headrests on the 82 GN, but if you have one that you can spare, please contact me through this board.

These are very labor intensive to sew up from what I was told, and my upholstery man said they were very labor intensive to install. I have not refinished the plastic pieces, doing that as of today and tomorrow, but I wanted to go ahead show you the pictures. The seats need the chalk lines cleaned from where the pleats are sewn. I will get you the contact information as soon as these become available. Again these are not available as of now, but will be very soon as a cost sheet has not been done on them as of today. If interested, send me an email through this site and I will keep your names on a list and notify you when they become available along with pricing.

I will try and post pictures of the rear seat tomorrow, but for now here is the one bucket seat I have unwrapped after getting them from my upholstery man...............RatPack........................

Attachments

• 84 gn seats restored 004.JPG
    84 gn seats restored 004.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 639
  • 84 gn seats restored 003.JPG
    84 gn seats restored 003.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 672
  • 84 gn seats restored 001.JPG
    84 gn seats restored 001.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 586
  • misc 003.JPG
    misc 003.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 576
Cool, but no leather? I hope you can get it minus the vinyl so we can have it done in leather.

We had originally thought about doing them with the leather, but there are tow major problems with leather, it is expensive, and all of the patterns have to be cut by hand. The vinyl can be cut by a computer program and multiple seats can be done at once. Also if there is a mistake made during the sewing process, which they do happen, it is more costly to fix when using leather than using a vinyl that is similar in appearance and feel. The price of vinyl does not fluctuate like leather does, so costing them out in leather to where you still make a profit without pricing yourself out of the market is not a good buisiness decision. It took a lot of work to even get the company to think about reproducing them due to the low demand in the aftermarket, and the original low production quantities done by Buick. If these seats had not been standard equipment in the 84 GN, more than likely they would have never been reproduced. Right now these are still in the R&D phase, so your opinions do matter as to how and when these are going to hit the market. Maybe it would be possible to offer them in leather, but cost is a BIG factor.

Someone stated above that it cost him $1800 to do his interior, that is cheap when working with these seats and leather. Something that also might come out of me getting these seats reproduced is getting the front door panels done and the small rear armest side trim panels. Again, it all depends on the demand in the aftermarket, and what other models of Regals used the same door panels down to the last detail. There is enough of the cloth out there to do seats and door panels both for the Sand Gray interiors of the GN and T-Type, but not sure about other colors. I have not unwrapped all of the seats so I will get more pictures later today or sometime tomorrow. As soon as these are available with pricing I will post it here first. Again thank you for your responses!!!!.......................RatPack...........................

The other choise might be urethane coated fabric looks and fells like leather.
I have seen both products run at a company here in Connecticut
They supply the furniture industy and they run mostly Vinyl because of the price.

I have a rear Lear Siegler seat out of an 84 with the correct
sand grey material, all cloth seat. There might be enough material
in this seat to repair a worn/torn seat, and that is the reason
I saved it. If somebody needs some patch material, I will consider
taking off the seat cover and taking it apart or I will sell
the whole seat cover. I won't ship the seat itself.
Any interest?