1986 Riviera turbo???

86rivy

I would like to know if it is possible to put a turbo into my 1986 Riviera, if so how should i go about doing it. Plus, how do i disable the speed governer on the Riviera??

Buick made a few prototype 86 Riv's with a turbo. They used the VIN B engine (stocker). They quickly found that the 440-T4 transmission wouldn't handle the extra power. One of the Prototypes I saw had a 5 speed Getrag Manual installed.

It might be easier to drop in a 3800 Supercharged engine and the 4T60E trans out of a GTP or GS Regal.

Dave

Just to give you a thought, if you can find one they used the 84-85 T-riviera, the harness would probably work with minimal modification. I used to have one, but there's not much left after I used it to re-work another harness for my engine swap. You may post in the "wanted" section for it. The headers from one may be your best shot too, they'd need modification but would be workable otherwise. I'd use an 86-87 long block including the intake. If/when you're done it should be pretty wicked. A 3800 SC engine is another good choice, but I never could find an adapter to the RWD bellhousing pattern, if someone could chime in with plans or a source that'd be excellent. You may also wanna place a few posts in the hybrids section as well.