1987 pro-touring grand national, from the ground up

I got to see this beast first hand today, WOW pics do not do it justice...I liked the rear frame tie-in in the back, I totally need that mod done. I was so impressed by the work on that car, so I stopped by and talked to them about having them help me with the engine fitment for my corvette roadster hybrid project. The work on that GN is top notch !!
Cant wait to see it finished, would love to go to watch the race when its done, definitely root for ya and boo the boss !!! Awesome build !!!

Thanks, it does look mean in person with the stance and little details showing through. I think you could do the rear frame brace pretty easy, tons of access down there. I'll announce the time/place for the race and try and post a video here. Not sure how well I will do at this point, I was depending quite a bit on my ability vs his but since we announced this he has been to like 4 driving schools, bastard. Ill still race but it may not be with the grand national at this point ;p

I got to see this beast first hand today, WOW pics do not do it justice...I liked the rear frame tie-in in the back, I totally need that mod done. I was so impressed by the work on that car, so I stopped by and talked to them about having them help me with the engine fitment for my corvette roadster hybrid project. The work on that GN is top notch !!
Cant wait to see it finished, would love to go to watch the race when its done, definitely root for ya and boo the boss !!! Awesome build !!!

Did you get to see the other Beast? p.s. no snagging parts, :)

by the way, anyone know where to get an upper dash panel. Mine was destroyed when it got pulled out. Any color is fine. I ordered one but it never showed up and I had to get a refund.

Dave,
I have an NOS panel (blue).
I would need $220 shipped.
Let me know if interested.
John

Did you get to see the other Beast? p.s. no snagging parts, :)

HAHA they did show it to me real quick, WOW i gotta a chill looking at that thing Scott. No Worries They have that thing pretty safe !!! Hell I wouldnt know where to begin..your gonna have your work cut out for ya!!!

dsapper: hope you dont mind but I want to copy the front frame tie in and rear as well, I like the GTA hood vents in that direction...looks totally fuctional too!! I just need to find a good A-arm set up and disk brakes (theres a wrecked parts car next door, I may have to see if they will sell it!!!!) J/K, scott!!! lol :smile:

Copy away. You need something on these cars, with the frame out it looks like a bit H, you can tell just looking at it that flex is there without them. I really like the baer, sc&c combo.

HAHA they did show it to me real quick, WOW i gotta a chill looking at that thing Scott. No Worries They have that thing pretty safe !!! Hell I wouldnt know where to begin..your gonna have your work cut out for ya!!!

dsapper: hope you dont mind but I want to copy the front frame tie in and rear as well, I like the GTA hood vents in that direction...looks totally fuctional too!! I just need to find a good A-arm set up and disk brakes (theres a wrecked parts car next door, I may have to see if they will sell it!!!!) J/K, scott!!! lol :smile:

quick text I got, bumper is shaved and on in the rear

IMG_0784.JPG

Interior is coming along slowly, the idea of the satin black and carbon fiber accents is starting to take effect though

IMG_0793.jpg
Led light installed and painted

IMG_0795.jpg
vent cleaned, painted, CF accent

I finished the rear interior panels and assembled them, also started work on the dash. First things first, the buick insert. Its a bit dated and wanted to bring it up to date. I used carbon fiber film to match the rest of the interior and went with a GM performance plate from gbodyparts to make it look more modern.

First I purchased some putty to fill the existing holes
IMG_0799.jpg

I filled and sanded the holes down 3 times before I got a perfectly smooth finish (if its not smooth it will show through the vinyl), this isnt the finished product but it gives you an idea
IMG_0800.jpg

Then I started with the vinyl
IMG_0801.jpg

Finished product
IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg

Good Deal,Thanks for the reply ..I have couple shops here in Orlando,FL I've scouted an couple outa state.I've got $45 to $65 an hour from them. My cars fully functional just has all the miles an weathering whoas,my car has the factory rock guard 1/4 way up the body an the undercoating job so it's in pretty good shape less anything rubber (the body mounts),I know when its apart we might find some corrosion (like the door ding guards i saw in this post) but should be minimal. i'm only going to re-enforce the rear a-arm mounts an black epoxy everything out,all my a-arms are custom an coated already, then last,a 6 point cage an Paint it with GNX kit,I'm leaving the interior as stock as possible only have to fix the famous mid upper dash split an two front seat tears.only electricail i need is new powerwindow motors put in with the fast rize kit, I'm modeling my car like 'Sledgehammer' but leaving the A/C..8^)..all my bumper fillers,flares an hood are unpainted fibroglass still

View attachment 148980

converted into this below...(but no fuel PSI gauge on the hood an stock steel bumpers)
View attachment 148981

Ah ah ah, my car is the one and only "Sledgehammer". :cool:

The one you are modeling after was built by Heath Elmer also, so you do have great taste. :D

Attachments

• IMGP1878-1.jpg
    IMGP1878-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 628
  • May 2000 Inset.jpg
    May 2000 Inset.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 593
Great build dsapper.

I woulda just sold you mine, but that would have taken all the fun out of it. ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Great build dsapper.

I woulda just sold you mine, but that would have taken all the fun out of it. ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Nahh you would have lost me at "no A/C" haha.

Anyways the front header panel came in from gbodyparts, fits like a glove, it actually lines up better than the stock one, go figure.
IMG_0809.jpg

Also, doing something a bit different under the hood. I didn't want to use a liner and didn't want the unfinished fiberglass look so we came up with this. Its perforated aluminum, light as a feather and adds an insane amount of rigidity to the hood (before we could flex the hood easily, with all but the two big panels installed we couldn't budge it an inch), its not done yet but you get an idea
IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0808.jpg

The hood is the firs thing in this build that I don't agree with. To each his own, of course!

Also, doing something a bit different under the hood. I didn't want to use a liner and didn't want the unfinished fiberglass look so we came up with this. Its perforated aluminum, light as a feather and adds an insane amount of rigidity to the hood (before we could flex the hood easily, with all but the two big panels installed we couldn't budge it an inch), its not done yet but you get an idea

How are you going to attach the aluminum to the hood?

Are you going to paint the aluminum withe the Buick turbocharged and 6?

How are you going to attach the aluminum to the hood?

Are you going to paint the aluminum withe the Buick turbocharged and 6?

No logo's on it. It will be trimmed out with a rubber seal on the edges. Its already attached with stainless button head screws, so small you can't really see them. When I get time I'm going to photoshop it black. So it will either be brushed aluminum or powdercoated black, one of the two. Doing the same thing to the trunk and its the same aluminum going on the inside of the gta hood vents, headlight vents and behind the gnx vents