1989 TTA engine?

UFILUKY

I have a chance to buy one of these but don't know much about them. I was told these motors had the stage 2 heads and were more liters than the regals. I am looking to stick these heads on my 87 limited t. Any info would be great. thanks.

I think the TTA engine is the same as a GN except the heads are different because GN heads would not fit in a TA. They are NOT stage 2 and maybe they are a hair better than a GN's heads if that. The crank has cross drilled oiling holes and that is the only major difference between a TTA and GN engine.

I am looking to stick these heads on my 87 limited t. Any info would be great. thanks.

IMO putting TTA spec heads on a TR is a MAJOR waste of money.

TTA heads are the same as the FWD V6 heads of other late 80's GM cars (Part number has been posted here before). You can find TTA Equivilant heads at a Junk yard for a fraction of the price. But I highly doubt you will find any noticable difference.

A few subtle differences, but mostly the same! besides the crank and heads we got a slightly larger intercooler and tubular headers. The heads are off the '86 FWD GM 3800's. semi easy to find. Any FWD Buick or Pontiac with the 3.8L will have those heads. Power differences came mostly from the ECM programming. :cool:

Thanks for saving my money for me. This guy was obviously lying to me when he said they were stage 2's.

Great short block, if you can run GN heads, you have more optional aftermarket parts. The TTA heads make plenty of power, but if you need add the exhaust parts, you will want to sell them and get a set of GN heads. The TTA exhaust is a pretty penny.

I recall reading on www.89tta.com (John Pearcy's site) that the fwd heads used on the TTA produced 40 more hp over the stock GN and 20hp over the GNX do to a better combustion chamber and improved flow ? The site seems to be down but I did print out most of the info from the site so I'll have to go back and take a look to varify my recolection. But it was my understanding that the major hp/performance difference between the two was infact in the heads for the most part...with some help of the GNX style slightly larger IC.

The heads are found on 3.0L fwd cars

Crank is cross drilled for oiling, pistons are different to compensate for the smaller chambers in the TTA heads(using TTA heads with GN pistons yields roughly a little over 9 to 1 compression), same intercooler as GNX.

I recall reading on www.89tta.com (John Pearcy's site) that the fwd heads used on the TTA produced 40 more hp over the stock GN and 20hp over the GNX do to a better combustion chamber and improved flow ? The site seems to be down but I did print out most of the info from the site so I'll have to go back and take a look to varify my recolection. But it was my understanding that the major hp/performance difference between the two was infact in the heads for the most part...with some help of the GNX style slightly larger IC.

Sounds like an interesting read. See if you can find that information.

Hi,
The major differences in these cylinder heads are shorter exhaust ports,larger chambers(which require a different piston) and upgraded valvetrain,with individual rocker arms and all the related parts.These heads were used to facilitate installation of a Buick v6 in place of a small block chevy,and in the process,a few horsepower were gained. Not a bunch, certainly not 40 or more! Detonation resistance may be higher due to the chamber design, which accounts for the extra boost(16.5 psi)these cars carry.In addition to the GNX intercooler(not bigger, more fins per inch),this results in an honest 300 net horsepower,and subsequent 13 second quarter miles.These cars will also do 150 plus mph.Not bad, for a six.I would say 90% of the TTA's performance is the extra 2 or so psi the chip gives it, aided by the chassis, heads and intercooler. I have only experienced detonation with my car once, at 25 psi boost on pump gas. Compared to my Regal, which pinged constantly, that's pretty good.Hopefully, the rebuild I have just done on the Regal will help that issue.

Combustion chamber on TTA head is smaller which is a plus. About 10cc's. Valve train is not as good as GN head. Shaft rocker setup is always a plus. Stock compression on TTA is 8.0:1 stock compression on GN is 8.5:1 therefore boost was raise from factory.