1st transbreake launch

So what's the trick to using a trans brake and not spinning the tires? Do you need advanced suspension mods to make it all work? Or extra weight in the trunk? I'm sure this has been beat to death but probably different things work for different cars.

Stage right brake , 15 - 18 psi launch , 4,500 rpm , 1.39 60FT :D

Attachments

• BOPC 2008 1 ( for post ).jpg
    BOPC 2008 1 ( for post ).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 681
So what's the trick to using a trans brake and not spinning the tires? Do you need advanced suspension mods to make it all work? Or extra weight in the trunk? I'm sure this has been beat to death but probably different things work for different cars.

Look at the bar under the car in the above post. I'd say suspension had something to do with it.:biggrin:

That's just a seventeen year old A.T.R. sway bar , bolted to some even older southside machine lower control arms , but your'e right suspension has everything to do with it .

So there is sway bar, control arms, springs, shocks.....anything else? How about axles? Is there such a thing as a heavy duty ring and pinion gear?

Stock ring & pinion , stock springs with airbags on my car . If your car makes decent power you will have to beef up the drive train from transmission to rear end.

4000 rpm on mine yeild about 22-23 psi. More the longer I am on the brake. Yeehaw! But I also have a th400 and 9 inch. 1.32 60'. Gonna try some suspension stuff like front end limiters and rear shocks (got some plain ol KYB's for now) to try to get it in the 1.2's.

Maybe a little unrelated....how much boost with a t-brake can you launch on drag radials?

I don't think any of these guys were launching on drag radials, but I may be wrong. I've only made three passes on my TH400 with transbrake, but I was on 275/60/15 MT DRs. I launched with around 5lbs boost, good for a 1.47 60ft on a 10 sec car. I've got an H&R rear bar, boxed stock lower control arms, 30 spline moser axles, rear diff cover, upgraded driveshaft, upgraded rear yoke, and a spool. The H&R bar, lower control arms, and spool are the things helping the traction, the rest is for strength.

I'm going to try for low 1.4's on the DRs. Don't know if I can get 1.3s without going to slicks. I do have an electronic boost controller that I can play around with some of the launch settings and ramps to try and prevent wheel spin. We'll see if it works. The only other thing I do is take fuel out of first gear, making sure its not on the rich side. Sometimes I add more timing in first gear too, but I haven't played with those settings much on the current combo. All that stuff can help improve the 60fts.

I had the same 60ft off the footbrake last year, but its much easier on the transbrake. No worry about pushing through and the spoolup is much faster.

My wife on 14 lbs at 4500 RPM taking on a big block dragster at the IHRA Pro Am event. Both cars leaving on a pro tree!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 641
Very nice photo Sam, I think thats going to have to become my new screen saver!

I'll share a 1.35 launch as well:

Attachments

• 9-24-08 002.jpg
    9-24-08 002.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 630
Very nice photo Sam, I think thats going to have to become my new screen saver!

I'll share a 1.35 launch as well:

Cliff
Very nice, were you competeing in the Byron wheelstand contest??????????
That driveshaft is taking a beating:eek:

You are going to love the AMS 1000;)

See you in Bowling Green?

Cliff
Very nice, were you competeing in the Byron wheelstand contest??????????
That driveshaft is taking a beating:eek:

You are going to love the AMS 1000;)

See you in Bowling Green?

LOL - The driveshaft just didnt like the extra weight to be TSM legal for Reynolds - haha.

I can't wait to install the AMS 1000 from Cal. Its been sitting on the workbench next to the car for about 2 months now, I'll get to it before bowling green.

I should be there. The only hang up for me is a local grudge racing event thursday the 14th at night... I might do that and leave from there for BG to race friday and saturday in TSM.

None of you guys told him the number 1 rule!!!!!!! Make sure his head is against the headrest b4 letting go of the ludacris speed button!!!!!! If its not there it will be afterward !! perhaps with a mild concussion and a slight case of whiplash lol ;)

Well it looks like fun, but those folks doing that seem to have wrinkes in there 1/4panels, i dont want to do that.

Just think of the wrinkles as battle scars :D actually I think extending the roll cage through the trunk and to the rearmost frame rails and across may solve the problem but then I wouldnt have room for the groceries or slicks when I drive to the track :wink:

Attachments

• Bass in a bottle 1.jpg
    Bass in a bottle 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 452
None of you guys told him the number 1 rule!!!!!!! Make sure his head is against the headrest b4 letting go of the ludacris speed button!!!!!! If its not there it will be afterward !! perhaps with a mild concussion and a slight case of whiplash lol ;)

How would I know that, I never get to drive the car:D

i was leaving at 5500rpm no 2 step 1.45 60ft last night. do i need a 2 step to help build boost on the brake. im new to the turbo buick. i dont like leaving a 5500

i was leaving at 5500rpm no 2 step 1.45 60ft last night. do i need a 2 step to help build boost on the brake. im new to the turbo buick. i dont like leaving a 5500

What converter is in it now? It sounds like its way too loose.

I used to leave at 4250 on the 2 step and would cut 1.40 60s. Nothing different except the converter.

Doug