2-step or not to 2-step??

Here is a video of my 2 step setup . I have it wired so I can use booth the transbrake or the 2 step or both . It is extremely nice to have a trans brake with the 2 step so you can do exactly like u said roll up to the line push the magic button and mat the pedal and release on the last yellow and hold on on
DankGN-Great videos! Thanks
I may hit you up on some install tips during install if ya don't mind please sir.

With the trans brake, you will loose the 2004R and the overdrive. Maybe you're ok with that......... Me?
Mine's a street car....
Gotta have OD.

What are you talking about, I have a 200-4r with a transbrake and I'm definitely not the only one...There are even several different version of brakes for them.

What are you talking about, I have a 200-4r with a transbrake and I'm definitely not the only one...There are even several different version of brakes for them.

I apologize, I didn't clearly articulate what I meant to say.

The 2 step works fine without a trans brake, it was designed to perform the same function.

Yes, you can use a 200-4r with a trans brake. I guess I'm just weird in that I "perceive" a downside to using one compared to a , say, Turbo 400 in the fact that you can't "use" or mentally feel like you're in first gear when you launch the car so it makes me steer away from that set up which leaves me with few economical alternatives. I'm told that the hard launch makes up for it, though..... :eek:

It's just a personal quirk, I guess. Sorry for making a misleading statement.

"You have to to cut the alky while on the 2 step and also if you have a/f correction on you will need to send 12vdc to pin 12 I believe to go into open to while on the 2 step ."

Can you explain this a little more. I leave my alky on and changed nothing. I don't stay on the limiter long at all. And I don't want to leave the pump off due to leaving at 15 psi and at 25 before I even register mph on the powerlogger. Too much lag on the pump.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I apologize, I didn't clearly articulate what I meant to say.

The 2 step works fine without a trans brake, it was designed to perform the same function.

Yes, you can use a 200-4r with a trans brake. I guess I'm just weird in that I "perceive" a downside to using one compared to a , say, Turbo 400 in the fact that you can't "use" or mentally feel like you're in first gear when you launch the car so it makes me steer away from that set up which leaves me with few economical alternatives. I'm told that the hard launch makes up for it, though..... :eek:

It's just a personal quirk, I guess. Sorry for making a misleading statement.

I still don't know what you mean, I have an electric brake it has to be in 1st gear to even engage and stays in 1st until I shift it.

Are you under the assumption that the manual 200 brake is the only brake? I ask because that is not the case.

I still don't know what you mean, I have an electric brake it has to be in 1st gear to even engage and stays in 1st until I shift it.

Are you under the assumption that the manual 200 brake is the only brake? I ask because that is not the case.

When I entered this thread, it was referencing the installation options for a 2 step.

I'm under no assumption except for the fact that I do not have and do not want a trans brake in my car for (as I said) my own personal reasons.

I said as much and admitted I misspoke when you asked me about my statement.. Since I have no interest in a trans brake I will again admit that I am not as educated about them as I could be. This obviously means I'm not able to answer your questions to your satisfaction.

If you want to pass along some technical information to the OP about trans brakes in a thread about 2 Steps, by all means, feel free to do so. I'm not up for a debate here.

Last edited:
"You have to to cut the alky while on the 2 step and also if you have a/f correction on you will need to send 12vdc to pin 12 I believe to go into open to while on the 2 step ."

Can you explain this a little more. I leave my alky on and changed nothing. I don't stay on the limiter long at all. And I don't want to leave the pump off due to leaving at 15 psi and at 25 before I even register mph on the powerlogger. Too much lag on the pump.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
If you leave the closed loop on it will try and add- subtract fuel while you are on the 2 step . There are post about it in the electronics forum about the 2 step . Also u don't want to be adding alky as you have the 2 step activated again muiltable posts on this aswell

If you leave the closed loop on it will try and add- subtract fuel while you are on the 2 step . There are post about it in the electronics forum about the 2 step . Also u don't want to be adding alky as you have the 2 step activated again muiltable posts on this aswell
Hello DankGN
Thanks for your input. Just finished installing my 2-step this morning. Everything works. However, when i tested it on jackstands (did a brake job also) and in Park, the AEM goes crazy lean (+18)and doesn't really produce any boost. Any advise on how to fix this please?
Thanks in advance for you assistance!

You don't have any load on the motor . Also what kinda boost control do I have a external gate ? What rpm are u at ? Pulling any timing? What chip do u have ? Is it in closed loop?

RJC Boost controller
2500rpm
pulling 8* timing
TT 6.1 chip - not sure if it's closed loop or not...

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING BACK SO FAST

The 2 step will help build boost it isn't the end all solutions unfortunately. You will need to apply 12vdc to pin 12 of the Ecm to force it into open loop . Also are you sure your wastegate is closed while you are on the 2 step? 2500 rpm is low try 3000-3500 . And if you pull 5 -10!degrees while it's activated it will heat the exhaust up and aid in spool . Agian though the 6.1 chip is the wide band chip if I'm not mistaken that attempts to correct AF off the wide band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only did 2500rpm to see how it works. I was assuming I would be taking it higher to get more boost.
Which pin 12 on ECM do I apply the 12 volt direct current? A, B, C, or D? Will this override the 6.1 trying to correct the AF?

Thanks again!

RJC Boost controller
2500rpm
pulling 8* timing
TT 6.1 chip - not sure if it's closed loop or not...

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING BACK SO FAST
The wideband is reading lean on the 2 step because it purposely missfires the engine. All that unburned air is seen by the o2 sensor and registers lean. Make sense?

The wideband is reading lean on the 2 step because it purposely missfires the engine. All that unburned air is seen by the o2 sensor and registers lean. Make sense?
Yes im starting to understand now.
So even with AEM showing super lean, with me adding 12vdc to pin 12 will that trick the AEM to display a lower reading or actually try not to correct the AF ratio?
So obviously it's not safe for me to activate the 2-step with such a high "reading" on my AEM right?
(sorry for all my dumb questions)

No it's to tell the computer not the aem to not try and add a bunch of fuel while you are on the 2 step . Yes it's going to be lean that's what you want . U need the exhaust hot to spool the turbo faster .

You are going to have to search this forum bud . Just type in 2 step and there will be abunch of this info .

Can someone experienced explain how you can hold the car without moving with just a 2 step @ 3k and 20psi boost?