2 wastegate's?

Superskwrl

I have a single deltagate on my V8 and it can't keep boost where i want it, i have a spare deltagate and was thinking about installing it in the crossover pipe, effectively bleeding off pressure from the other bank of cylinders

It's a cartech street kit and its quite a bit of work to modify it for a racegate etc, the stock motor+10lbs made 390rwhp,now i have bigger heads intake etc

Anyone think this is a BAD idea, and if so why??

definatly a different idea.i would check to see if theres anythign wrong with your wastegate you have now, more isn't always better.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done, the only really hard part woudl be setting the 2 to release at the exact same boost (i don't know how the delat gates work, if it has an acuator ran form a boost line it should be easie(er)) but i dont' think i woudl go through all the work for somethign that might not need to be done.

I woud try to switch the wastegates, again i don't know anythign about them and i don't know if they can just be switched. if that fixes your problem then there you go.

I have seen 2 gates on many race cars,my gate is in fine shape, turbonetics says the deltagate is only good for 400hp, which i am exceeding. Another problem i have is the flange that goes to the deltagate is smaller than the valve but its very difficult to enlarge it.

How are you controling the boost your running? , the gates use different springs to control boost also . If you run both gates you should be alright . I have a race gate NEW for sale in the for sale section if you do decide to go with one . Search under racegate if your interested .

Two Deltagates was actually very popular back in the day before big gates were being made. It was also less expensive than redoing your set-up for the upgrade to one big gate. There is nothing at all wrong with two Deltagates. Before I went nuts with the GN with a big Q trim 4 bolt turbo, I ran two Deltagates with the stock headers and crossover. One deltagate in the THDP and one on the crossover. Only thing I didn't like was how loud the second gate is when it opens.

Thanks for the replies, turbonatr, i have another question, do the springs have to be the same in both gates? because i have a 7lb and a 10lb, currently the 7lb is in the car and cant keep up, i was thinkin that if i add the 2nd gate with the 10lb it will be ok, and howwould a manual boost controler work with this setup ie mismatched springs

Both my gates had the same spring. I'm not sure if the different springs would make a difference. Since you have two gates, I would definately try it, though. Turn the manual boost controller all the way down to it's lowest setting and go from there.

Originally posted by Superskwrl
Thanks for the replies, turbonatr, i have another question, do the springs have to be the same in both gates? because i have a 7lb and a 10lb, currently the 7lb is in the car and cant keep up, i was thinkin that if i add the 2nd gate with the 10lb it will be ok, and howwould a manual boost controler work with this setup ie mismatched springs

With 2 gates, the gate that has the softest setting would be controlling the boost. The second one would be in case the first could not release enough exhaust gasses. You are going to need to put one controller on each wastegate. Kinda risky imo.

What you should do is put one properly sized gate on it and run a controller on that. I personally do not like the Turbonetics gates as lots of folks around here have had a lot of problems with them. There are other companies out there that sell wastegates that are really good. HKS, Innovative, Greddy, Tial. I personally like the HKS line, but the Innovative line is also supposed to be very high quality.:)

New Race gate for sale $370 shipped to u . W spring set . If you go that route . Taffy i looked for the hell of it at those other gates and they are more than twice the $$$ of the Racegate . My racegate held up pretty good and it took a shot or two on the crossover when i had it there . Anyway what a shameless plug on my part :D

When I ran both gates (same springs), I only ran one controller. All I did was "t-off" the vacuum lines to the second gate. No problems. Rock-solid boost control.