200-4R 2nd gear start, quick shifts

cdncutlass

Hey everyone,

I had a 200-4R put together with a Monster Transmission rebuild kit. I have driven the car minimally since its been on the road but the transmission would always start in second gear when it was in drive. If shifted manually this was not a problem. If left to its own devices it would shift through the gears quickly and end up in OD somewhere between 25-30mph. At WOT it would shift around 4300rpm which I believe is too low.

I have a Holley street avenger carb, with the correct brackets so the TV cable has the proper geometry. I have the TV adjusted properly. I have a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter and also made sure the cable was properly adjusted.

When shifting manually the shifts are positive and firm with no issues. I do not have a gauge to check the line pressures when driving.

The shop that assembled it said they would look at it for me. I pulled the drivetrain for an unrelated issue so it will be on the bench. They believe it may be an issue with the governor? From what I have read on this forum it could be something hanging up in the TV passage or possibly a TV spring.

I was looking for some input as to what I should have the shop look at. I will be dropping it off there next week.

2nd gear starts are usually from high line pressure. Do you know what valve body/governor you are using?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I Asked Dave this question myself... I told him when I slow down to a red light I click it into 2nd gear and leave it.. The light turns green and I hit the pedal and yes it stays in 2nd gear

2nd gear starts are usually from high line pressure. Do you know what valve body/governor you are using?

As far as I know the only modification to the valve body was the 200-4R Superior Shift Reprogramming Kit, which was included in this "Monster in a Box" deal.

This was included in its contents. These are the only parts that were changed from stock.

▪ Gaskets
▪ O-Rings
▪ Lip Seals
▪ Sealing Rings
▪ .500 Boost Valve
▪ Friction Clutch Plates
▪ Steel Plates
▪ Forward/Direct Performance Clutches
▪ 200-4R Filter
▪ 200-4R Heavy Duty Kevlar Band
▪ Teflon Pump Bushing
▪ Delco Front Seal Retainer Clip
▪ 200-4R Superior Shift Reprogramming Kit
▪ Hardened Pump Rings
▪ 200-4R Heavy Duty 10 Vane Rotor Gear
▪ 200-4R 10 Vane Rotor Guide
▪ 200-4R High Rev Vanes
▪ 200-4R Heavy Duty Throttle Valve Spring
▪ Heavy Duty Sun Shell
▪ High Performance Billet Servo
▪ New TCC-Solenoid

I had that same problem with a new rebuild and I think he was messing with something up on the driver side front in front of the V/B
and had to pull it out a couple times and he kept changing the spring in there till he got it right.

It's been awhile so I may be off base but I do know it was in the area I described above. I think it had something to do with the fluid flow/pressure to/from the converter.

It was a valve [forget the name] with a spring on it held in by a washer and C-clip holding the washer.

Sonunds like the boost valve/pressure regulator stack in the pump. The .500 boost valve and the "pink" spring 'should' net you 275 psi but I am guessing yours is higher. That is why you are getting 2nd gear starts.

Sonunds like the boost valve/pressure regulator stack in the pump. The .500 boost valve and the "pink" spring 'should' net you 275 psi but I am guessing yours is higher. That is why you are getting 2nd gear starts.

That's what my problem was, I just couldn't remember the name of that valve.

I've been studying up.

Do I need to buy a different spring for this? If so where can I get one?

If I put it in N at a stop or 1 it would go into first and I was told to drive it a few days as the spring would loosen up and it would work properly, NOT.

He ended up putting a different spring in it and it's been fine ever since.

Do I need to buy a different spring for this? If so where can I get one?

Let the guy who built it fix it.

If you do it and have other problems he may void your warranty.

It's his problem to make it right not yours. Did you pay him for his expertise and knowledge or for an Ill working trans.

Also see if he can figure it out before you tell him what you learned here, just to see if he knows the 2004r and what it takes to make it work and live.

Let the guy who built it fix it.

If you do it and have other problems he may void your warranty.

It's his problem to make it right not yours. Did you pay him for his expertise and knowledge or for an Ill working trans.

Also see if he can figure it out before you tell him what you learned here, just to see if he knows the 2004r and what it takes to make it work and live.

I couldn't agree more about letting the builder find the problem and fix it. But, if there are still issues I would like to get it fixed properly. That's why I was asking about what part it could be and where to source it.

I couldn't agree more about letting the builder find the problem and fix it. But, if there are still issues I would like to get it fixed properly. That's why I was asking about what part it could be and where to source it.

I know that Lonnie and Dave Husek will both sell the spring if you need it. Contact either of them and they will give you more info than I or any other non trans guy on the board can.

It seems I have two issues working against me. I have too much minimum TV pressure causing second gear starts, and the stock governor needs to be modified by grinding down the weights to get higher WOT shift points.

I will clean up the TV to make sure nothing is sticking and leave it as is until its back in the car and I can get a pressure gauge on it.

For the governor Dave recommended grinding the big weight to 35 grams , and the other to 17.5 grams.

Last edited:
If you feel the TV cable is sticking, then me personally, I would replace it, and don't bother trying to clean it or grease it.
I had one that would sometimes stick and being old age, natural bends it would changed the shifting at a certain speed.
For the $80.00 or so get one and save your transmission.;)

I noticed you put a "heavy duty throttle valve spring" in the valvebody. Try putting the stock spring back in.

If you feel the TV cable is sticking, then me personally, I would replace it, and don't bother trying to clean it or grease it.
I had one that would sometimes stick and being old age, natural bends it would changed the shifting at a certain speed.
For the $80.00 or so get one and save your transmission.;)

Sorry, what I meant by cleaning up the TV was the passage in the trans where the plunger and TV spring are located.

UPDATE: I went with Lonnie's 200-4R valvebody and governor assembly and had it installed locally. Everything works great now, no longer having 2nd gear start issues or stacked shifts. The governor was calibrated to the RPM that I asked for, and shift quality has improved greatly. Very pleased with this setup.

It seems I have two issues working against me. I have too much minimum TV pressure causing second gear starts, and the stock governor needs to be modified by grinding down the weights to get higher WOT shift points.

I will clean up the TV to make sure nothing is sticking and leave it as is until its back in the car and I can get a pressure gauge on it.

For the governor Dave recommended grinding the big weight to 35 grams , and the other to 17.5 grams.

Great you got it. Lonnie is one of the true GURU level guys.

One question of the advise another of the GURU guys gave. Those governor weights, what vb were you using for him to recommend those weights? TIA
For those searching another of the Lonnie tidbits was to use a tv spring that is 2.1 inches long. Seemed to work for me.