200 4r first gear shift WOT only

elcamino383

it never ends... lol

did the pressure testing from chris's manual...

MIN TV MAX TV
P 90 P 90
R 150 R 270
N 90 N 90
4 90 4 230
3 90 3 230
2 160 2 160
1 240 1 240

road test w/ gauge shows 90-230 idle to wot pressure

it seams to be stuck in 1st gear, with no compression braking (floats back to idle when you let off) and will ONLY shift into what feels like 3rd when i got WOT to redline than quickly lift, bang it shifts. i know its going into 4th and 3rd when i downshift but when you slow down enough to go into 2nd, it goes back to 1st... any ideas? chris or bruce... or anyone else let me know. or ill just call CK in the morning... thanks guys

weird, I just came into this forum to post the exact same problem.

car won't shift up unless I'm heavy into the gas. Subscribing to hear the solution

-Ryan

2nd gear band is probably wasted.
My unit did the same thing..it would stay in first unless let up on gas most of the way,then it would shift,but shift into 3rd..just skip right over 2nd

mine will shift into second, but not until I hit redline.

I did a search, looks like I might have a loose TV cable or govenor spring? Taking it in to the shop today to see

Sounds like:

Overrun clutch or it really sounds to me like the brake is working. The no decompression in low is normal if you have a stage right or whatever they are called. Reason being, without manual low, it will freewheel on a normal take off if it does not upshift. The problem you should be concentrating on is the shift only at WOT into second. Cure that, and your problem should go away.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

thanks bruce. you got it, but what could cause it to not shift? if i keep in it, it hits the rev limiter, but only when i lift slightly before will it shift. stuck valve in the vb? or would it be with the gov?

Elco, sorry to jack your post but my problem sounds similar so I don't want to start another.

I got in the car today to drive to the transmission shop, and it drove perfectly the whole way... what could cause the problem to be intermittent? weird.

im mad.

yeah, its the 2nd gear band. it IS skipping 2nd. if i downshift to D2 from D3 at like 50, it goes back to 1st. 2nd is allll gone.. so now what

Well...

First of is to tear down and look for the "CAUSE". Without repairing the cause will lead to later frustration when it happens again. Second, it looks like rebuild time again, if nothing else to get the debris out. :(
What exactly happened to the band? You say it is the band, but not what about the band went wrong. Maybe with a little more info we can nip this thing. Let us know.
Thanks and I will do what I can do. Please be patient with me as I got 10 things going at once and am spotty about getting to a computer these days. Usually, I try to ck it once before bed and again in the morning at work , but if I am running late, I may miss it.
But I will do what I can for you.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

it will toast the direct clutches too in short order.i see the info i gave you today condemned the band.nice trick ay?puling the lever to d2 above 50 and not going to 2nd but first is a sure sign the band is not engaging or is damanged.it goes back to first and freewheels because your on the forward clutch and the sprag is freewheeling until the input shaft overpowers the driveshaft rpm on coast because the driveshaft becomes the input member when you lift the throttle .