You can type here any text you want

200-4R out of 89 Caddy..what to change?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

camaro75racer

I was given a 200-4R out of an 89 caddy (BOP pattern) and would like to have it built a littleto swap into my 85 GN. What should i buy as far as parts wise? Is there any diffrence in the tranny's? This one worked perfect when pulled from the car and has low mileage on it but i would like something with nice firm/fast shifts. Thanks

Get a better servo for firmer shifts.
Either a 694 GN unit,TH200 servo or a Fairbanks/Superior servo.

..and a shift kit from CK

Get another tranny. There are way too many differences besides servos, valve bodies and governors. Stay away from transmissions from low performance vehicles with the 307 Y code engines, diesels and NA V6's. There are differences to the cases on such models that will affect shift points and shift feel that you will never be able to over come.

GNVAIR, could you please be more specific, because that goes against most of what I've read here. AFAIKnew, the shifting characteristics relate to VB and plate, governor, servo, and accumulator setups. GN VB has an extra oil operated switch, which requires a 4 wire plug on the side of the case. Speedo gears are changeable.
Which cases cause trouble, and why, please?

A. G. Olphart said:
GNVAIR, could you please be more specific, because that goes against most of what I've read here. AFAIKnew, the shifting characteristics relate to VB and plate, governor, servo, and accumulator setups. GN VB has an extra oil operated switch, which requires a 4 wire plug on the side of the case. Speedo gears are changeable.
Which cases cause trouble, and why, please?

After speaking with Eric Schertz several years back it was explained that GM used several variations of the cases (I asked this because I was asking what core I should use). Besides some of the early ones that did not have the dual bolt patten (BOP and Chevy), there are differences to the worm face on the case. Enough of a difference that you would have problems getting a WOT upshift higher than 4500 rpms and getting proper shift firmness. There were posts on here for people who had used similar types of non performance 2004r's and had problems as I explained. Chris and Bruce would probably be able to explain better, but I seem to recall both of them saying at different points in time on this board not to use the non performance transmissions from 307 Cadillacs, Diesels, etc.
Hey, I could also be wrong and one of them might say a Caddy trans is a great starting point. I am just operating off of memory and that might be failing. :wink:

I remember Chris & Bruce saying the AA Caddy tranny was a good one don't know what code the 89 is.
I have a hard time believing that the case are different & to cause a low shift point, but could be Eric is one of the GURU'S!

But a code OG can be made to shift @ 6K it takes some messing with though ;)

if its an AA code tranny it will work great with just a few changes. I've heard of some earlier 200s being a tad different but i was pretty sure they were all the same case wise from then on.

77 cruiser said:
I remember Chris & Bruce saying the AA Caddy tranny was a good one don't know what code the 89 is.
I have a hard time believing that the case are different & to cause a low shift point, but could be Eric is one of the GURU'S!

But a code OG can be made to shift @ 6K it takes some messing with though ;)

Like I said, it was several years ago that I had asked and my reference point was for something to put behind a turbo Buick. My bad :o

Not bad if it gets us thinking, and clarifies an issue.
I seem to recall reading that the (early?) diesel trannys locked the converter with a shift valve... those cases could very well be different.

Perhaps Bruce or Chris (note alphabetical order :D ) will set us straight.

Some 200-4R valve bodies have a Converter Clutch valve train. Others just use an aluminum plug there.

Does anyone know if it's the same valvesas in the early 700 Converter Clutch valve train?

Other than the vb, gov, accum. springs, and servo, the only thing I've seen documented on being different on the BQ & BR models from the rest is like a pair of thrust washers being metal. Anyone know for sure?

It could have been sooo simple to have 3 frictions in the 4th Clutch pack from the factory. To say nothing of a better fluid pickup.

the aa code caddillac valve body works great.with minor trimming of the governer itll wot at 5000.needs recalibration kit and servo and away you go.gnvair weve smacked each other around in the past.as a means of my sincerity about putting it to rest email me your address and ill send you one of our manuals if your interested

Please clarify

Let me get this straight. The AA Cadillac 200-4r is a suitable core? I was told by a reputable source(One on the chosen "list"), to get a core from the TR/GN(BRF), Monte SS(Could be made to work with an adapter plate), or an Olds 442/Hurst Olds.

It would make this an easier search as I do know of several in the 'recycler' yard that could be 'harvested'.

Looking to try a 200-4r behind a 455 in my GS. The lower first and overdrive, not to mention it will bolt in w/o an adapter unlike the 700-r4, make me think this would work well for me.

So I should be looking at the tag on the tail housing for an AA? Please clarify and let me know what to look for. Thanks

Rich

Can't get a much straighter answer than post #12.
Chris sells a recalibration kit to handle the shifting mods.

None of these transmissions as GM built them will like your 455's torque. See bruces sticky above: Sticky: ATTENTION!!!! NEW VERSION!! Strengthening The 2004r.

Hard core DIY guys can buy Chris' book, buy lots of parts and have at it. Saner people can pick a listed vendor and let them supply the fancy bits and do the work.

Non-brf tranny

I build my own 2004r non-brf trannies with great success.these are parts i use;alto clutches/wide band/all heat treated parts/#12valvebody w/transgo
reprogramming kit/super servo/gn governor/10 vane pump/.500 boost valve,
blue plate clutches in direct drum/3clutch 4th gear.nice firm quick shifts.spins
tires every time i get on it. I am very pleased with my transmission."great performance"for less money.this combo should hold 550 horsepower with no problem.I hope this answers your question. :smile:

I'll bite... What is a #12 valve body, how is it identified,and what makes it special? (I have no problem displaying my ignorance, I've lots to go around).

AFAIK most on this board have been using the painted ID's, ignoring casting marks. I think/thought I've read that any given casting may be machined for varying spool sizes...

I think...

he means the VB listed in Post #12 from the AA code Caddy 2004r. This is a good as I do know of at least one of these, but passed as it wasn't what I was told was what I needed.

I looked at the site for CK perf but couldn't find out how to obtain the manual referenced

email me your address and ill send you one of our manuals if your interested

I am interested and have an email address but am willing to pay for one as I haven't had any differences with the one making the offer.

Thanks

Rich

Thanks Texas, that makes sense...

I bought one of Chris's manuals (about 200 pages) and do recommend it. Only problem I have is old eyes and fine print.

Just give Chris a call... (The deal with GNVAIR appears to be a good will gesture on Chris's part, the book isn't free).

manual isnt listed on the site but call in at 718 784 4256.not many left as of now maybe 50 .718 784 4256

Back