2004R slight whine when "attempting" to shift from 2nd to 3rd

87GNT

Friends-

I have a recently built 200R4 using some billet parts and rated at 450HP. However, last time I dyno'd the car it made 398HP at the wheel at 18LBS. As of 3 months ago I have since up'd the boost to 21lbs running on Alky single nozzle. I would guess I'm making 410-420HP to the wheel at this point.

Here's my problem. I've taken the transmission back to the builder roughly 4 times for the same issue...while in 2nd gear the transmission will lag on shifting to 3rd. In other words, Under normal driving conditions i am having to pedal it to help it shift into 3rd once I hear the RPM's start to rise. If I drive it a little aggressive it improves a little but I can still feel the engine over-reving while the transmission decides if it wants to stay on 2nd or shift to 3rd during this period I can hear the transmission whine.

I dropped the pan and the oil was pink and fresh with no burn smell which is comforting. I know the 200R4 2nd gear has its own band. I am not very tech savvy with transmissions so any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I need advice.

What is the usual culprit for this type of issue I am having?

Do I take it back to the builder an have him check the pressure? Any suggestions? I've even thought about cutting my loses and taking the transmission to CK Performance but I wanted to get the input from the knowledgeable community.

Thanks for your time in advance

Not sure who this "builder" is but if you aren't comfortable dropping it and going in id have a talk with him and see what he suggests. In my no expert opinion, you have a direct setup that isn't ideal and is slipping. Once they slip, and you indicated they have, it doesn't get better. Ck is good or David Husek might be another alternative. But I'm thinking it is coming back out. Can we get a rundown on the parts you are or at least think you are using?

WOW!
Could have several things happening. Have you run a pressure test, to see on the shift, whats happening? That would be STEP 1!
From there the flow chart begins. Here is a new one.... Can you record the noise VS the shift point? Is it a sucking air or cavitation whine or a gear type whine? Not enough info to even set in a direction but can easily be diagnosed with a little bit more input.
Lets see where the hell are ya in this great nation ????? If need be a gauge could be provided to diagnose.
Be more than willing to assist....
WE4
916-952-9567

Your white horse Prince has arrived. LOLOLOLOLOL
The MAN ...… In Person
Hey..... that is funny...or..... at least it was to me!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If the direct clutch is double fed and the reverse exhaust hole in the separator plate isn’t opened a few thou a, “flare” can happen on the 2/3 shift according to the CK manual.

Or..... ..I know Dave aint feeling real good these days so you could call me direct and I would be glad to walk you through anything you would like. LIVE
I got all the time in the world.
And NO, I have nothing to gain at this point in the game but to assist people.

I know Dave aint feeling real good these days
I talk to Dave every other day on a professional and personal level . He just finished 2 trans & is working on my stroker motor and has parts to ship out . Believe me he's just fine .

We4 said he has the time and gave you his number..pressure test to rule the pump out and cable adjustment.

I genuinely appreciate everyone who has chimed in. So this Saturday I took the car out for a drive with my son. The trans shifted flawlessly the entire time. I take the car out Sunday and 5 minutes into I started noticing 2nd slipping just a tad.

A little history- This transmission was built by Monster Transmission out in Brooksville https://www.monstertransmission.com/2004R_c_3939.html ....I had them build me the 475hp SS high performance trans last year.

Roughly a month ago I noticed the transmission would downshift from 2nd to 1st pretty hard....it would jerk...no slipping...I went and did the napkin test and the fluid was pretty dirty so I went ahead and put a new filter and filled it with dex IV. Instantly that issues was resolved. However, fast forward to a week ago and its when I noticed the transmission started to slip in 2nd.

Would changing the fluid have caused this? Do you think the transmission shop put an additive into the old fluid that I changed out? I

I'll give Dave a call as I've dealt with him in the past....purchased his 3021 converter

Or..... ..I know Dave aint feeling real good these days so you could call me direct and I would be glad to walk you through anything you would like. LIVE
I got all the time in the world.
And NO, I have nothing to gain at this point in the game but to assist people.

Make some how to build a 2004r videos and put them on Youtube! You could be a hero to millions.... ok 10s of thousands of people all around the world

You TRY to assist people and...… I do know Dave has been very busy and the last time we chatted he wasn't feeling well I am Very glad he is busy and doing well. In fact he is on the move .All I was doing was trying to save a busy guy from having to drop what hes doing to answer a problem that if we could diagnois first and then go to him with a KNOWN issue it saves DAVE time! I have been in his shoes. I have rode that horse.
But you can lead a horse to water but cant make them drink.
I had the time to diagnois and Dave has been very busy. Thought it would help.
Guess I got "TOLD" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But What the fuck do I know ???????????
I find this absolutely hilarious!
I will know better than to offer a live, educated, offer free test equipment and free diagnois in the future
Thanks Dynoman as you lightened my load.

You TRY to assist people and...… I do know Dave has been very busy and the last time we chatted he wasn't feeling well I am Very glad he is busy and doing well. In fact he is on the move .All I was doing was trying to save a busy guy from having to drop what hes doing to answer a problem that if we could diagnois first and then go to him with a KNOWN issue it saves DAVE time! I have been in his shoes. I have rode that horse.
But you can lead a horse to water but cant make them drink.
I had the time to diagnois and Dave has been very busy. Thought it would help.
Guess I got "TOLD" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But What the fuck do I know ???????????
I find this absolutely hilarious!
I will know better than to offer a live, educated, offer free test equipment and free diagnois in the future
Thanks Dynoman as you lightened my load.

This is what I don't like about responding in writing and not talking to someone . You took my response the wrong way . I wasn't saying to only listen to what Dave might have to say and not you , I know you built a great trans and respect your opinion . I just didn't want people to think Dave is sick and not go to him for fear of not getting work or parts shipped in a timely manor that's all . Dave rarely comes on this board anymore and you have to contact him by phone .

No Worries.......its all good.
:cool:
If ya cannot laugh at yourself you have no business laughing at others !
Personally I laugh histerically at myself.....
WE4
Bruce

Make some how to build a 2004r videos and put them on Youtube! You could be a hero to millions.... ok 10s of thousands of people all around the world
No interest.. Just want to help TB.COM boardmembers. Give some back so to speak. Absolutly no interest in getting back into trans work. But I will ALWAYS assist brotheren……!!!!!!!!!!!! And I still have the tools and of sound mind.....For now anyway.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A log of rpm and line pressure would be great here. If there’s no hyd leak and the hole sizing is correct swapping valve bodies may correct it. There’s no way to come to a 100% conclusion without seeing what the pressure does as this occurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk