200vs700

Jvette73

Over all which one is generally a better choice for swap into a earlier model Chevy powered vehicle? Can you list some pros and cons of each one? I have a 200 in my 73 Vette and love it. Theres a debate on another forum as to which is better. The 200 or the 700? Some people say that the 700 is stronger hands down. Is this true?

THE 700R4 IS STRONGER IN STOCK FORM THAN A 2004R,SO IF LOOKING TO RETROFIT WITHOUT SPENDING MONEY THE 700R4 WILL BE A BETTER CHOICE.I WOULD RATHER SEE YOU USE A WELL BUILT 2004R AS THE GEAR RATIO IS MORE FAVORABLE IN MOST APPLICATIONS AND CAN PROVIDE BETTER FUEL ECONOMY WITH IT NUMERICALLY LOWER OVERDRIVE.WITH THE RIGHT PARTS THOUGH A 700R4 CAN BE MADE JUST AS RELIABLE.CAMSHAFT LCA AND DURATION AND FINAL DRIVE WOULD BE IMPORTANT IN MAKING A FINAL DESCISION.PLEASE TELL ME WHERE TO FIND THE DEBATE ,ID LIKE TO SEE IT.

You have to consider dimensions and the cost involved in crossmember and driveshaft, if you had a th350 in it, the 200 would be more easily to retofit than the 700.

Different tailshaft lengths on the 700r4 can make the fitment easier without the crossmember relocation. My partner changed from a 200 to a 700 and never changed the crossmember just a a different tailshaft. I am not sure the #'s though maybe some of these others cats might know.

The other consideration with the two is that there are far more improved parts for a 200 than the 700. That and the gearing is more favorable on the 200 as far as I am concerned. Mark :D