2011 GS Nationals

BPG and GS Nats are two totally different events! I thought we were talking about the GS Nats in BG...

Scot W.

What is the difference? The BPG pay the racers direct and the NATS pay NOTHING to the racers. So I guess one pays, and one takes....

What is the difference? The BPG pay the racers direct and the NATS pay NOTHING to the racers. So I guess one pays, and one takes....
The difference was that I was talking about vendors at the GS Nats and Not the racers at either place!

But I do agree...

SW.

However, I do believe if Richard would become more active in promoting the event and mending fences (yall know what I mean) it would make it a lot easier to find sponsors and payout money. But I'm not going to hold my breath. :rolleyes:

Old dogs don't learn new tricks. Some put more effort in uninviting people to the event than promoting it. I guess the point of no return has been reached so maybe if Buick comes out with a new peformance car one day there might be hope of it getting better.

It is apparent that Cal can take a event that the GSCA claimed was done and make it profitable. Funny the small guy picks up the ball and runs and proves to the community that you can pay the racers where the GSCA failed (wonder why??).... Now answer me this, when times were better why didn't the GSCA pay out?? I recall since the days of the RRA's it was their job to collect money and payout the race classes, while the GSCA stood there with their pockets open...... :confused:

The difference was that I was talking about vendors at the GS Nats and Not the racers at either place!

But I do agree...

SW.

OK. I agree, I was lucky enough to be there the few years there were plenty of vendors and years later unfortunate enough to see vendor row empty. It did sure change quick...

What exactly does happen to that $220 that each of us send in for tickets? Why do we have to depend on sponsors to pay the race winners? My local track pays out of the entry fees :confused: I love coming to the gs nationals every year, but its us folks that keep coming back that keep it going. I also would like to know why it got cut from 5 days to 4?

It's not cheap to rent a track like that for a day. Our local one would want $7K for a day. $7k x 5 days = $35K...thats a lot of money. I paid $180 to race 3 days this year. Say if the average racer paid $180 (some come early, some come late) It would take 194 racers to pay the track rental for the 5 days. I'm pretty sure there weren't 194 racers...that's where the spectator fees come in. Pretty expensive to run a 5 day race. I'm not defending anyone, but I can kinda see where all the $$$ goes. Of course I'm not sure what they pay to rent the track. Could be more or less. I'd imagine they have to also have some sort of insurance, especially in these days.

It's not cheap to rent a track like that for a day. Our local one would want $7K for a day. $7k x 5 days = $35K...thats a lot of money. I paid $180 to race 3 days this year. Say if the average racer paid $180 (some come early, some come late) It would take 194 racers to pay the track rental for the 5 days. I'm pretty sure there weren't 194 racers...that's where the spectator fees come in. Pretty expensive to run a 5 day race. I'm not defending anyone, but I can kinda see where all the $$$ goes. Of course I'm not sure what they pay to rent the track. Could be more or less. I'd imagine they have to also have some sort of insurance, especially in these days.

Exactly...... Thats the side most people know nothing about.

Again, the question is then how does the Norwalk event have $$ to pay racers and how does BPG, Midwest, and lets not leave out Cals event that in it's first year turned a profit that was paid to the racers in it's entirety. :eek: We all know the GSCA isn't going to break out their expense book and prove to us they are broke after the NATS and don't have any cash to pay the racers so we as consumers make our own observations and support the events that support the racers. Racing these cars isn't cheap and the guys with the fast and nice cars are also what keeps these events alive so guys support those events that take care of the racers.

Again, the question is then how does the Norwalk event have $$ to pay racers and how does BPG, Midwest, and lets not leave out Cals event that in it's first year turned a profit that was paid to the racers in it's entirety. :eek: We all know the GSCA isn't going to break out their expense book and prove to us they are broke after the NATS and don't have any cash to pay the racers so we as consumers make our own observations and support the events that support the racers. Racing these cars isn't cheap and the guys with the fast and nice cars are also what keeps these events alive so guys support those events that take care of the racers.

I think it's because BG is 5 (4 now) days. BPG is 2 days Buick only (+ normal track t and t) if I remember right, Norwalk is one day Buick only, Midwest Buick Challenge is one day Buick only, Reynolds is one day Buick only. The more days, the cost goes up a bunch.
I'm not defending them like I said.

Reynolds is two days Buick only. I would be more than happy to open the books to anyone to see that 100% goes back to the racers.

To bad The Hartlines were not thought of before this event being booked,their southern race is 2 weeks later and being so close together
someones car count will probably suffer.

But know this, if payouts are your thing head to Georgia and get PAID!!!

wasnt the nats rained out in 09 and in may and they said the money would roll over. If im wrong than sorry, but if they did say that was there good payouts this year in oct.

wasnt the nats rained out in 09 and in may and they said the money would roll over. If im wrong than sorry, but if they did say that was there good payouts this year in oct.

Yes, the payouts were rolled over to this year from what I gather. $150.00 for first place in TSO that I know of so simple math $150/2 = $75.00 per year so given the (2) years of entry fee for example Gary Harmon who won TSO I think you have to pay a administration fee and registration fee around $100+ plus race tickets so he probably paid well over $300 for the two years for $150 back and there was no TSL so did he get the payouts that were rolled over in that class or where did it go??? :confused:

Norwalk paid me $300.00 for my win in TSO and I paid $40.00 to get in if I'm not mistaking.

The GSCA and the BG event is about making money - this is nothing new. Like it or not though it is still THE Buick event of the year. I've been attending since 1986 so I've seen all sides and sizes of it through the years. A lot of the attrition can be attributed to the fact that we are talking about a community that supports a unique 15 year old car in the TRs plus the almost 30 year old BBBs. A lot of people have burned out, lost interest or just moved on. The biggest problem I see with a lot of the Buick events (BG in particular) is the cookie cutter classes that limit ingenuity. I'm not defending or bashing the BG event ............. it is what it is.

There are plenty of Buick events to choose from and I just hope the scheduling conflicts can be worked out so people don't have to pick and choose which ones they can attend. When the rubber hits the road, we all do this as a hobby and while it's nice to get some cheese for your efforts, anyone who expects to make money racing - let alone a BUICK - needs a reality check.

Its a shame that the GSCA can't be less selfish and invest in a community that has lined their pockets for so long. I have gone every year since 1990 and pay my entry fee at the gate X 3 becuase there are 3 of us in the car. Think of how many cars go through those gates in one day, and how many people are in these cars............ We are talking thousands of dollars here in entry fees. The GSCA should be contributing in the payouts for these racers. The fact that it falls on the vendors is disgusting.
I come up every year with the intention to spend money and buy parts. I have never been to any Buick event and gone home empty handed. I hope this disscusion snow balls into something big that triggers some common sense into the GSCA, so they too can contribute just like us members that drive 13 hours every year to support a community and a sport we love. Greed will eventually cost them a suscessful event if they don't see the writing on the walls, then they will make dickk from it.

Will hit the nail on the head. Ive been going since i was a kid in the late 80s back when they would have 1000 cars go down the track on a Saturday and race till 9 at night. Problem is now you have the following:

1. Worst recession since the Great Depression.
2. Besides FWD 3800 cars (S/C) its been 23 years since Buick came out with a performance car, i.e. the Turbo Regal! 40 years for the 455 big block Gran Sports!
3. Many businesses and enthusiasts alike have come and gone in the Buick world. Lawrence Conley sold everything and Kenne Bell is big in Fords!
4. Many of the cars either ended up in garages stored and cared for but the vast majority were raced hard, abused, cut up, run in the ground or crushed. In 1979, an insurance report I have said less than 10 percent of the 1964 GTO coupes remained in existence. So figure for our cars we have lost a lot to the crusher!:mad:
5. Many events to choose from which is great! Its a money making affair. BG was always great and had a lot of fun cruising Scottsville road, and bsing in the Autozone parking lot and racing all the locals and the Mustangs from Nashville.

In closing support is necessary on this site and others, for vendors and these events. Buicks are a small community. I am doing all I can to bring the vendors in and support them within the BPG event for next year which should be a super unique even never seen before or since within the Buick community. Reason being? I listed to enthusiasts ideas about what they want to see for a Turbo Regal/TTA reunion and ran with it! More on that later with some great surprises;)

Support everyone in the TR community. Notice all these car magazines talking about states trying to legislate our cars off the highway? Seems to be a big concern echoed at SEMA this year. Support the hobby b/c if not we just may have to park everything and performance will be only from a Kia for daily stop light thrills!:eek:

1. GS Nationals is an iconic event, a “status” as someone pointed out. The GSCA is resting on these laurels and don’t have a need to contribute to the event. The entry fees are high with registration fees and non-member fees etc. I will continue going as long as it doesn’t conflict with another event. I greatly enjoyed this years October event.

2. I don’t begrudge anyone from making money, it’s greed that appalls me. The GSCA refuses to share responsibility for better payouts leaving it solely up to the vendors. No we don’t do this for the money, it’s a hobby and a social event for most of us, but people still don’t like being taken advantage of.
$150 for a TSO payout is ridiculous. If I remember correctly the TSM winner at the MWBC was paid $400 or $450. And that’s probably the smallest Buick event.

3. Payouts should not be the sole responsibility of the vendors/sponsors. Maybe the event needs to be restructured. Any class with less then 4 cars should be re-evaluated. Consolidate some of the classes. Is there really a need for 5 or 6 bracket classes? Then there’s the endless number of alphabet soup classes that many of us don’t even understand…? Also I agree with GSCA there is no need for this being a five day event. Three or Four days is sufficient since there are no longer tech sessions and meetings to attend as time fillers.

4. Track rental costs……whoever said 7k is way off. Can someone from BPG, Norwalk or MWBC post up approximately what track rental costs are? I remember track rental being about 3k. If GSCA could show us that this event is costlier than we think then I will retract everything and continue to just enjoy the event as it is.

5. For obvious reasons, some already mentioned, Buicks are a diminishing group. Vendors that have stayed with us have had to branch out and include other makes and models with their products.
I commend those vendors that are sticking it out with the Buick community and not just throwing us aside.

Questions for GSCA…..A friend of mine who pre-registered for the May event could not make the October event. WHY is he not eligible for a refund as you have told him…?

I paid the car and driver fee for myself but you charged a friend of mine both Car & Drive and Spectator fee…? The person at the tent argued that my friend was a racer and a spectator so he had to pay both…?????? There was no talking to the person at the tent how this doesn’t make any sense, so after 10 minutes of arguing, he finally paid both fees for himself….

Another huh?……Another friend had vouchers from last years event. They were Spectator entry vouchers for three days. Last year he also paid the registration fee these tickets. However, you decided to charge him a registration fee again this year at the gate. Double dipping registration fees….! So the three spectator vouchers were now reduced to one spectator voucher after the registration fee. Come on GSCA, give it a break….

Wow! Just wow! What happened to all that purse money from last year? I really like the event but sure don't like the way things are done.