2011 TSR Rules and Regulations *Amendment 6/19/2011*

At first it was the 9" rear.

Now it the 67mm turbo with S-cover. :(

Not complaining - just sayin'...............

Get a pair of 200 treadwear BFG gforce street tires and race? I'm in the same boat as you, 2 young kids, no time to work on the car let alone go to a track often.

I debated whether to post this or not so just let me just say this up front - I'm not whining or complaining and I'm not campaigning for myself. I have been around this scene longer than most - from back in the days when these cars first came out in the 80's. I just want to point this out in hopes that this class can be all that it can and should be. If my street car doesn't fit the rules and I choose not to change it to conform, then so be it - I respect that. I want to see a class like this take off and hopefully get away from having all the Txx classes that currently divide the cars up so much. I think a few BIG classes would make for more exciting racing. Let's face it, these cars are 25 years old and getting fewer and fewer as the years roll by.

I understand the reasoning behind the E-cover making visual tech easier. This was an issue that kept several cars (including mine) from running THS but there's no real measurable performance advantage that amounts to much of anything in the compressor covers. Changing covers also entails changing all of the inlet plumbing and in some cases the backing plates not to mention that most people will order the larger S and H covers just because they look better. There's a lot of cars out there with S and H covers that won't be willing to change turbos just for this reason. Here's a potential issue I see with this rule using these TSR rules. I'm going to use my street car as an example.

Problem I see is with a car like mine having to run street tires just because of having an S-cover on a 67mm turbo will put it at a disadvantage against a similar combo with a 67mm turbo running an E-cover on DRs. It will be at a BIG disadvantage should it have to line up with a Stage car with something like an 88mm turbo. They will have an equal disadvantage at the launch but assuming the guy in the Stage car is any kind of a driver it should be over from that point on. Clint already pointed out that cars that will be able to run DRs better be on their game. I think this scenario could make some say what's the point? Nobody wants to bring a knife to a gun fight.

Even though it may be a little more hassle to police, I think the tire determination concerning the turbos should just be done by turbo size alone. In better words.....

67mm or smaller = DRs OK
68mm and up = Street tires required

JMO FWIW :biggrin:

Scott, please clear something up for me. The turbo rule says 67mm, ported shrouds are ok. Then you comment that if the turbo isn't 3/2 you must run street tires.
Is the turbo limited to a 67 E cover, 3x2 to run DR's? So anyone with a ported shroud (S cover) needs to run street tires?
So all stage motors, S covers, turbos larger than 67 E cover have to run street tires correct?

Thanks
Bryan

Turbo cover rule has changed

New rule amendments are listed in BLUE on the main rule page as of 2/24/2011

Get a pair of 200 treadwear BFG gforce street tires and race? I'm in the same boat as you, 2 young kids, no time to work on the car let alone go to a track often.

Have you used these tires? My older BFG DR's didn't hook at all. My 72mm turbo ( even though it doesn't have the balzzz a billet 67 HPQ has ) is too big, leaving me with running street tires that I don't have.

Bryan

Have you used these tires? My older BFG DR's didn't hook at all. My 72mm turbo ( even though it doesn't have the balzzz a billet 67 HPQ has ) is too big, leaving me with running street tires that I don't have.

Bryan

Not the DR's (I had those back in the day and yeah they sucked, not sure on their new ones), I was talking about just their regular g-force TA KDW2 street radials for 17's, looks like they might hook ok for a street radial, and I thought they were 200 but they are 300 treadwear.

I debated whether to post this or not so just let me just say this up front - I'm not whining or complaining and I'm not campaigning for myself. I have been around this scene longer than most - from back in the days when these cars first came out in the 80's. I just want to point this out in hopes that this class can be all that it can and should be. If my street car doesn't fit the rules and I choose not to change it to conform, then so be it - I respect that. I want to see a class like this take off and hopefully get away from having all the Txx classes that currently divide the cars up so much. I think a few BIG classes would make for more exciting racing. Let's face it, these cars are 25 years old and getting fewer and fewer as the years roll by.

I understand the reasoning behind the E-cover making visual tech easier. This was an issue that kept several cars (including mine) from running THS but there's no real measurable performance advantage that amounts to much of anything in the compressor covers. Changing covers also entails changing all of the inlet plumbing and in some cases the backing plates not to mention that most people will order the larger S and H covers just because they look better. There's a lot of cars out there with S and H covers that won't be willing to change turbos just for this reason. Here's a potential issue I see with this rule using these TSR rules. I'm going to use my street car as an example.

Problem I see is with a car like mine having to run street tires just because of having an S-cover on a 67mm turbo will put it at a disadvantage against a similar combo with a 67mm turbo running an E-cover on DRs. It will be at a BIG disadvantage should it have to line up with a Stage car with something like an 88mm turbo. They will have an equal disadvantage at the launch but assuming the guy in the Stage car is any kind of a driver it should be over from that point on. Clint already pointed out that cars that will be able to run DRs better be on their game. I think this scenario could make some say what's the point? Nobody wants to bring a knife to a gun fight.

Even though it may be a little more hassle to police, I think the tire determination concerning the turbos should just be done by turbo size alone. In better words.....

67mm or smaller = DRs OK
68mm and up = Street tires required

JMO FWIW :biggrin:
Will,

Thank You for the kind words in regards to this class. Our reasoning's seem to be very much alike and that's why this class was started in the first place, to give the average car a place to race! Your opinion is always appreciated. please look at the new amendments from Clint in Blue and I think we are very close to having a class that caters to the Masses.

Now let's see some racing!! Will are you in for Reynolds, seeing it will be before #3 arrives?? :smile:

Scot W.

You are welcome Scot. While it may not be a fit for the slower cars or the real fast cars, it's a great compromise for the masses. The great equalizer that I wouldn't budge on would be the A/C rule - this will prevent TSO, TSL, and/or TSM cars from bolting on a set of street tires and dropping down - not that they would but if it weren't for that one rule they could. It will be interesting to see how things unfold on the track. I think this would go over well at BG if it could logistically be fit in the schedule with the umpteen other T.. classes.:rolleyes:

I doubt I will be able to make Reynolds. I have a lot on my plate now with work, family, and we're about to get things rolling again with the new car under construction. I may try to make the TB.com event if time allows.